U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Leaside is not a very exciting place to stay for a vacation in Toronto - quite far from the rest of the city and not well-connected to the transit network. I would stay near the subway, or streetcar lines. The Annex, Christie Pitts, Bickford Park, Harbord Village, Baldwin Village, Kensington Market, Riverdale, Dundas West, Trinity-Spadina, Queen West, Roncesvalles, Bloor West, Wallace Emerson, St. Clair West, Yonge and Eglinton, Cabbagetown, and even Parkdale, King and Shaw / Strachan would all be better bets. All are great neighbourhoods in the centre of the action; all have excellent transit access to the downtown and are not as isolated from the downtown as Leaside. Leaside's a nice area, but I think it will be a pain for them to have to take a bus to the subway and to stay in such a sedate residential area. The Bayview strip may have a neat collection of shops, restaurants, and cafes, but it doesn't compare to staying in one of the other areas I listed, IMO.
Hi, here I am! I'm sorry I didn't write you soon but I have been searching and searching, trying to understand better how everything works in your city, especially regarding the "rent-world"!
It's difficult: I tryied my best to find something nice and fully furnished in the areas that you suggested me. I would LOVE to stay in The Annex (close to Christie Pitts Park would be great!)... Bickford Park, Harbord Village, Baldwin Village, Kensington Market, Riverdale, Dundas West, Trinity-Spadina, Queen West and Roncesvalles would be fantastic choises for me...better if VERY close to the subway, or the streetcar lines (it would be definetely better not to be more than 15-20 far away from downtown!)...so Riverdale would be too far, for example!

To answer your questions: my daughter is going to attend the camp at The Second City, and we come from Italy We have been spending the last few summers in L.A. - Santa Monica area... This summer we wanted to "explore" your city, your culture, your style of life: you have a very good reputation here, they say you are extremely friendly, with good manners and funny at the same time (which I like a lot, especially for my daughter!) )))

Returning back to the apartment, the biggest problem is that the nice apartments I have been finding were always far away from the nice areas you told me...most of them are in the "very-downtown" area, or in the Est End area (close Bloor Street East), over Younge Street.
What about the Liberty Village? And the Harbour Front?
I'm going to write you back again later: I have to go now....sorry!!! Thank you SO much for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM

325 posts, read 1,004,655 times
Instead of an apartment, rent a house - airbnb.ca

You could even rent a few houses in different areas. That's what I would do, get a flavour for it.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,622,151 times
The trouble with renting in all these lovely areas (my Toronto, much of it), is that it's a short-term rental. That's the difficulty. You might look for a housesitting opportunity, a sublet, or as someone said, airbnb opportunities, craiglist, etc. Luxury condos might also be the ticket, but the trouble with most of these wonderful neighbourhoods is that there are very few apartments, mostly flats and houses.

Down by the Harbour might be fine. The Harbourfront area itself is a little isolated, but reasonably child-friendly with the strip of parks and attractions by the lake, and Toronto Island a ferry-ride away.

Liberty Village, although quite trendy, is not great for kids I would say. Ditto Parkdale, however much it's changed.

Myself, I live in the Annex, and have also lived in Little Italy, Portugal Village and High Park. There is another Little Italy, called Corso Italia, west on St. Clair--a little further out by might be interesting.

But the problem again of few apartment buildings--places with more apartments--Davisville and Yonge, Eglinton and Yonge (both on the subway.) High Park (very nice, on the subway, huge park.)

Good luck with this.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 PM

304 posts, read 1,334,320 times
Two months in Toronto?? My condolences. Did you lose a bet or will this count as 'time served' in some sort of a plea bargain?

Last edited by Habfanman; 06-01-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,106,574 times
This guy is a Quebecker. That's what makes him so snide. From what I hear, summer in Montreal is no better. But then I won't go in summer. I'll pick one of the other seasons. Four times to Toronto is enough till I've visited other cities. Also been to St John's New Brunswick and Halifax Nova Scotia. I won't dare to ask what Newfoundland is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto