U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM

265 posts, read 749,805 times

Advertisements

Proposed Walmart near Kensington Market has residents fuming | Toronto Star

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 PM

2,813 posts, read 3,566,489 times
You gotta be kidding me. They shouldn't allow Wal-Mart anywhere inside the limits of Old Toronto where the population density is highest. It will put too many small businesses in jeopardy. I can understand the "boroughs", but there is absolutely no need for a Wal-Mart in that part of the city. If the gatekeepers of this city let that happen, then I have no hope that anyone who really is looking out for the best interests of the city has any power.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,087,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
You gotta be kidding me. They shouldn't allow Wal-Mart anywhere inside the limits of Old Toronto where the population density is highest. It will put too many small businesses in jeopardy. I can understand the "boroughs", but there is absolutely no need for a Wal-Mart in that part of the city. If the gatekeepers of this city let that happen, then I have no hope that anyone who really is looking out for the best interests of the city has any power.
Wow, the vultures are circling even over Toronto! Sad news. So many little businesses die to make those people rich.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM

164 posts, read 352,334 times
whatever... Wal-Mart you are welcome in Toronto. Just build one of those double decker store models with parking underneath or above if you need to have it. Also, add some bicycle friendly amenities.

Most of those little businesses suck and I don't want to be forced to shop in them. If I want something nice I will go up to Yorkdale Mall and shop at Pottery Barn. At least at Pottery Barn I know the hours, the quality, and the return policy (aka customer service). Wal-Mart does not provide the best customer service but better than most of those small variety/grocery stores, and Wal-Mart has better hours, better selection, better pricing, and better experience overall.

Any small business that offers a niche product that Wal-Mart does not offer and great customer service should have nothing to worry about. Toronto is expensive enough.. anyone that fights for the lowest price is welcome by me. If you want to fight for something than fight to control inflation on housing and rent. It is out of control.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Walmart is stumbling in its homeland. Why they are popping up in other people's neighborhood. They just lowball the stuff you can get anywhere. The stores they drove out of business were the ones who tried to have a wider inventory. But, what the hey, Amazon is eating Walmart's lunch AND its marketplace has all the stuff Walmart doesn't bother to offer.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

564 posts, read 982,918 times
Aren't the shops in Kensington very niche? I'm no fan of Walmart, but I can't imagine them carrying a lot of the unique and specialty items that many of those shops carry. Especially if you are in the market for cockroaches, bed bugs, rat feces, hippie BO, and strewn litter. No offense to KM lovers; that is just my personal opinion after visiting it. I know that many people love it for their own personal reasons, and they are welcome to it.

And I'm not alone. You can see lots of tourists going through KM after being referred by their guide booklets with "ick" expressions on their faces.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 AM

10,847 posts, read 13,486,893 times
Kensington market and Walmart hardly overlap in anything.
I probably shopped at Walmart twice in the past 5 years, but all this "Walmart is destroying everything" paranoid is simply stupid.

Shopping at Walmart is just a personal preference. It has absolutely nothing to do with ideology. Walmart sells all the cheap generic stuff. If a corner store some love so much can't even provide anything Walmart doesn't and has no competitive advantage whatsoever, maybe it doesn't deserve surviving in the first place.

I agree with NothYorkEd, and I never understand the love for Kensington Market. It is dirty and chaotic. Plus, it is nothing special at all. Only people who have never stepped outside North America would think KM is some sort of special place to shop - try visiting Asia or Europe, these kind of markets are everywhere.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 13,486,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Aren't the shops in Kensington very niche? I'm no fan of Walmart, but I can't imagine them carrying a lot of the unique and specialty items that many of those shops carry. Especially if you are in the market for cockroaches, bed bugs, rat feces, hippie BO, and strewn litter. No offense to KM lovers; that is just my personal opinion after visiting it. I know that many people love it for their own personal reasons, and they are welcome to it.

And I'm not alone. You can see lots of tourists going through KM after being referred by their guide booklets with "ick" expressions on their faces.
usually tourists from small Canadian towns who have never travelled outside this continent, probably the same folks who marvel at Dundas Square and keep taking photos as if it were some sort of glamourous landmark. I always have the urge to say "keep moving, there is nothing to see here!".

Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm familiar with Walmart in an urban environment. It hasn't managed to beat large or small businesses when dropped in the middle of an urban area. That wasn't Sam Walton's game plan. He developed regional stores for rural consumers. Essentially a one-store mall. And some Main Street businesses did fold. What I'm not sure of is whether it was a managerial failure in those businesses. If you have a really small customer base with no alternative, you can sorta go to sleep. A juggernaut like Walmart with massive warehouses and infinite financing can turn such businesses into road kill. Truly sad part is how it drove MANUFACTURING businesses into closing, making industrial workers lose middle class jobs. Can't see that effect in Canada. Not from this one store anyway. Canadians need to be conscious of history, though. They don't want to be left with crappy service jobs that pay nothing.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:27 PM

304 posts, read 1,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'm familiar with Walmart in an urban environment. It hasn't managed to beat large or small businesses when dropped in the middle of an urban area. That wasn't Sam Walton's game plan. He developed regional stores for rural consumers. Essentially a one-store mall. And some Main Street businesses did fold. What I'm not sure of is whether it was a managerial failure in those businesses. If you have a really small customer base with no alternative, you can sorta go to sleep. A juggernaut like Walmart with massive warehouses and infinite financing can turn such businesses into road kill. Truly sad part is how it drove MANUFACTURING businesses into closing, making industrial workers lose middle class jobs. Can't see that effect in Canada. Not from this one store anyway. Canadians need to be conscious of history, though. They don't want to be left with crappy service jobs that pay nothing.
Give it another 10 years and Kensington will become nothing but 15$ burger and 5$ artisanal cupcake joints. Toronto worships money. Nothing else matters. Witness the Distillery 'historic' condo district. It's only a matter of time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto