Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM

362 posts, read 794,299 times

Advertisements

Not too sure, but I know its very difficult for a canadian to move down there and its done on purpose because most of us aren't willing to live illegally down there (but many will live as visa overstays). But the op works at a major transnational who will transfer him where he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Your forgetting many many cities that have better food scenes, Los Angeles, NYC, Toronto, Miami, Mexico city and much more.

How does Toronto have a better food scene than Toronto? Maybe you meant to say Montreal, in that case I would agree.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 30,683 times
If I was looking at a rough estimate of $1400 max for rent could I get a decent 2 bedroom apartment? And I see basement apartments are popular there, how are the living conditions in a basement apartment?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
Depends on the apartment. I personally could never live underground as I find it affects my asthma too much, but many young people live quite comfortably in basement apartments.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryhailey View Post
If I was looking at a rough estimate of $1400 max for rent could I get a decent 2 bedroom apartment? And I see basement apartments are popular there, how are the living conditions in a basement apartment?

Basement apartments tend to be okay. Really depends house to house. But I would not recommend them too much.

You could rent apartments in very lively parts of the city (Toronto: Yonge and Eglinton) for $13-1400 (2-bedroom). You just have to look around (try Free Kijiji Canada Classifieds | Free Ads | Petites Annonces Gratuites)

For example:
A/C, RENOVATED 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT FOR RENT (YONGE/EGLINTON) - City of Toronto 2 bedroom Apartments & Condos For Rent - Kijiji City of Toronto

Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
For the original poster............

Talk to your HR department about a NAFTA VISA, that allows a US citizen to work in Canada for up to three years, at a time and can be renewed.

The basic regulations for a NAFTA visa are simple enough, and a big international company like Nestles will have done them before, between Canada and the States, and vice versa. My wife just retired from the University of Toronto, and some of the faculty in her department are US citizens, working here under NAFTA visas.

READ this for more information about a NAFTA visa application.

NAFTA Visas :: Canada work visa and work permit :: Campbell Cohen - Canadian Immigration Law Firm

As to life in Mississauga. Its a separate city from Toronto, and has it`s own city government, and all of the things that a big city needs, like parks, schools, malls and a beautiful lake front, on Lake Ontario. It also has the advantage of being a modern city with a planned design, as opposed to the rather uncontrolled development that Toronto saw in the middle of the 20th century. Mississauga was only formed as a city in 1974. Before that it was a group of five small towns, that were loosely joined together, with lots of farms in between them. Now it is the 5th largest city in all of Canada, with a population of 750 thousand people.

I lived in Port Credit in the 60`s, and it still has one of the nicest `feels `in the area, with a real small town main street, the harbour area, and the Credit River valley parks system. As was said the Purina plant is located on the far west side of the city, close to the boundary with Oakville. Oakville is one of the most wealthy places in all of Canada, as per Stats Canada census returns. It`s biggest employer is a massive Ford car and truck plant. But don`t think Detroit or Flint Michigan, as Oakville is a really nice place, with some of the most expensive homes in Canada, along the shore of Lake Ontario.

In your situation I`d suggest trying for a Nafta visa, and living in Port Credit, with a 10 minute drive to work. For fun and entertainment, take the Go Train from Port Credit to downtown Toronto ( about 30 minutes on the commuter train ) and you will be in the middle of Toronto`s core. A short walk to the Air Canada Centre ( hockey ) the Rogers centre ( Baseball and CFL football and big name music acts ) and the entertainment district ( Toronto has 25 live stage theatres ) and dozens of clubs with live music and dancing. Toronto is a safe and lively city, and even at 2 am Yonge street is full of people walking around . Unlike most US cities, people want to live in downtown Toronto, and do so. That means that services are there and so are schools and parks and stores.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
-
Montreal has a better food scene than Toronto.
It's a foodie paradise.
That may have been true ten years ago, but not anymore. Toronto began experiencing a food renaissance about ten years ago that morphed into a full-fledged movement in 2008. Toronto now has more varied options, some of the best restaurants in the country, lots of inexpensive but delicious ethnic food, plenty of fine dining, but mostly young chefs who have opened innovative restaurants with delicious and original dishes. The idea of Montreal having better food than Toronto is dated. They may have better French food (and possibly better Italian), but having visited recently and eaten at some of the hot local spots recommended to me by local friends, I can say Toronto has definitely surpassed it. Toronto is definitely Canada's food capital now, and I don't care what Montrealers have to say about it. Because Toronto has surpassed that city in pretty much every significant category, I can understand Montrealers being a bit reticent to let go of their title as having the best food in Canada, but aside from French cuisine, Toronto is now the best food city in Canada, and probably in the top 3 in North America.

For those who disagree, next time you visit, let me know and I'll steer you in the right direction. No matter what cuisine you like, you will find it here, and you will find world-class chefs doing it up proppa. There has also been an accompanying renaissance in quality organic butchers, farmer's markets, and sellers of gourmet condiments, pickles (not just the cucumber variety), and an emphasis on quality and sourcing local ingredients that has become the new normal for the Toronto food scene. At the same time, despite the ban on food carts, they still have found ways to operate in the city and are doing so, offering their unique culinary delights to Toronto denizens.

There has been a number of revolutions in this city over the last ten years that have allowed it to surpass Montreal in all those areas where I would have declared Montreal the clear leader in the early 2000's. In my experience, most Montrealers don't have much desire to visit Toronto and simply aren't aware of how far behind us they have fallen in recent years because they don't really visit, preferring Boston or NYC. They still walking around thinking things are the same as they were in the 90's and early-2000's when I even thought Montreal was a better city in many ways. Not anymore, mon amis. Not anymore.

Last edited by TOkidd; 06-20-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
^^^^^^^^

Thank you TOkidd! Seems like people are very quick to throw names like Montreal, LA, NY everytime someone says something good about Toronto.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 30,683 times
Thank you everyone this is some great information. Especially you @canadian citizen I will definitely be talking to HR about the NAFTA VISA

Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
That may have been true ten years ago, but not anymore. Toronto began experiencing a food renaissance about ten years ago that morphed into a full-fledged movement in 2008. Toronto now has more varied options, some of the best restaurants in the country, lots of inexpensive but delicious ethnic food, plenty of fine dining, but mostly young chefs who have opened innovative restaurants with delicious and original dishes. The idea of Montreal having better food than Toronto is dated. They may have better French food (and possibly better Italian), but having visited recently and eaten at some of the hot local spots recommended to me by local friends, I can say Toronto has definitely surpassed it. Toronto is definitely Canada's food capital now, and I don't care what Montrealers have to say about it. Because Toronto has surpassed that city in pretty much every significant category, I can understand Montrealers being a bit reticent to let go of their title as having the best food in Canada, but aside from French cuisine, Toronto is now the best food city in Canada, and probably in the top 3 in North America.

For those who disagree, next time you visit, let me know and I'll steer you in the right direction. No matter what cuisine you like, you will find it here, and you will find world-class chefs doing it up proppa. There has also been an accompanying renaissance in quality organic butchers, farmer's markets, and sellers of gourmet condiments, pickles (not just the cucumber variety), and an emphasis on quality and sourcing local ingredients that has become the new normal for the Toronto food scene. At the same time, despite the ban on food carts, they still have found ways to operate in the city and are doing so, offering their unique culinary delights to Toronto denizens.

There has been a number of revolutions in this city over the last ten years that have allowed it to surpass Montreal in all those areas where I would have declared Montreal the clear leader in the early 2000's. In my experience, most Montrealers don't have much desire to visit Toronto and simply aren't aware of how far behind us they have fallen in recent years because they don't really visit, preferring Boston or NYC. They still walking around thinking things are the same as they were in the 90's and early-2000's when I even thought Montreal was a better city in many ways. Not anymore, mon amis. Not anymore.
Good food is probably one of the most highly subjective questions there is.

I think that the argument that Toronto has more varied cuisines from around the world and that you can find higher quality examples of these cuisines there is a valid one. This sort of goes with the territory: it's the most diverse and biggest city in the country. It is also a richer city than Montreal.

That said, Montreal is more New Orleans-ish in its cuisine. You may not have the cuisines of the entire world in the city (though it has a lot of ethnic too), but it has its own unique personality in the kitchen and produces lots of good stuff that couldn't have originated anywhere else.

That's why when I talk to foodies (and even non-foodies) anywhere in Quebec, they all can identify several "name" chefs from Montreal that produce unique stuff. And food experts from the States and also Europe (especially France) come to Montreal as well to meet with these guys.

When I talk to foodies even elsewhere in Canada (including in Ontario) most will point to "name" chefs in the States, or Europe, and even in Montreal, but only very rarely do they name names from Toronto.

For some reason, it is also much more rare for American or European food experts to point out someone in Toronto and say "This guy is a chef to watch! Remember his name!"

Sorry, that's just my take on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto