Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times

Advertisements

I visited there once on holiday in the summer and I loved it. Very nice village. Do people live there or nearby year-round? I've been looking at communities on the Bruce Peninsula and it seems to me like Ferndale is the furthest North community that people live year-round. Tobermory used to be an important year-round settlement in Ontario, but it seems like it is just a tourist place now. What a shame. Am I wrong?

If this isn't the best thread to get a response in, which would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
In the summer, people live there. In the winter, it's mostly a bunch of pissed off bears who sit around and play poker. They're pissed off cause they aren't able to hibernate. What else is there to do but sit around and play poker?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM

That's sad that great places are wasted by only being around for part of the year. What about nearby Lion's Head? They have a school there. There must be some year round businesses as well. I doubt farmers there drive all of the way to Wiarton to access their amenities. Are there year-round businesses in Tobermory?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
That's sad that great places are wasted by only being around for part of the year. What about nearby Lion's Head? They have a school there. There must be some year round businesses as well. I doubt farmers there drive all of the way to Wiarton to access their amenities. Are there year-round businesses in Tobermory?
I was just joking. I think people live there year-round - not just pissed-off poker-playing bears.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I was just joking. I think people live there year-round - not just pissed-off poker-playing bears.
I went to the Northern Bruce Peninsula municipal website and a list of local businesses and I'm not exaggerating when I say that each and every business in Tobermory was only open from May through October. I would like to learn more about the town's history. I went swimming in Georgian Bay in an area famous for shipwrecks. Was the town's economy based some sort of port historically?

Old 06-29-2013, 11:07 AM

Does anyone on this forum live near Tobermory? Maybe Owen Sound? You would know better than I do.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Yes people live there. I've known people who do and have lived there. I'm sure many businesses are closed, but some places like grocery stores etc. must be open, either there or nearby.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 AM

Has anyone ever been to Tobermory after the tourist season? What does the centre of town look like then? Is it practically a ghost town? It's a very beautiful place in the summer, and I think it would be a nice place to live, but if there aren't enough amenities in the winter, it could be tough.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Has anyone ever been to Tobermory after the tourist season? What does the centre of town look like then? Is it practically a ghost town? It's a very beautiful place in the summer, and I think it would be a nice place to live, but if there aren't enough amenities in the winter, it could be tough.
Try a Google search. I'm sure there's more information out there, and probably even a message board for the region.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 PM

I did and couldn't find anything. I was hoping someone who lives in the area might find their way to this thread, but I haven't had any luck thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto