Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Welcome to Canada! You didn't think our healthcare was really "free", did you?
you got that right and this is what too many people in America do not realize. They think the government just pays for it and never wonder where the money is coming from.

That being said and now I have it off my chest: we too will be visiting for a day or so, in late Sept. We will be renting a car at the airport, driving it to a resort outside of Barrie for 5 nights, then returning to the Toronto area. Here is what we need help with?

By the time we get back to the car rental place it will be mid morning. We will probably stay at an airport hotel for 2 nights or that is our plan.

Should we plan on just enjoying Toronto or should be take a day tour (or 1/2 day) to the falls on Friday and just do what we can in Toronto on Thursday? We were thinking the on again/off again bus.

Also anyone have any idea the cost of transfers from the airport into the city to do sight seeing. I don't think we want to attempt driving in a new city.

We can rent a car for a day and take it to Buffalo/Niagara Falls for $60.00? Is that a better deal than just taking a tour to the Falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Is the trip all booked/paid for nmita?

You could do Dallas and /or Bull shoals, Table rock instead for far less $,really not that different IMO, granted the falls are unique but you can awe only for so long

My 1st pick without knowing anything about you but your location would be Vancouver, Victoria, Pacific rim ntl pk and/or the coastal range, that or Banff/Lake Louise= the rockies.

a close 2nd is Mtl, Quebec city and Maritime Canada, especially NS' Annapolis valley and the coast if you can manage it in your timetable.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Is the trip all booked/paid for nmita?

You could do Dallas and /or Bull shoals, Table rock instead for far less $,really not that different IMO, granted the falls are unique but you can awe only for so long

My 1st pick without knowing anything about you but your location would be Vancouver, Victoria, Pacific rim ntl pk and/or the coastal range, that or Banff/Lake Louise= the rockies.

a close 2nd is Mtl, Quebec city and Maritime Canada, especially NS' Annapolis valley and the coast if you can manage it in your timetable.
Hubby wants to do the falls, because his parents went there for their honeymoon. I could care less and I know as beautiful as they are, how many hours do you want to spend looking at them, from how many angles? That is my hesitation with a tour.

As for Victoria and Vancouver we have done the area twice when cruising, once for 3 days before a cruise and once for a couple of days after.

Banff was our second choice, after the Black Hills, but unfortunately the timing wasn't right. Our kids are sending up for our 55th wedding anniversary. We did Mtl and Quebec before our Canada/New England cruise 2 years ago. We are pretty well stuck with Toronto and the resort (Carriage Hills) My biggest problem is deciding how to get the most out of our couple of days actually in Toronto.

I think your idea would work great, if only the kids had let us know in time to get the accommodations in the places we would have put at the top of the list.

I am still thrilled our kids are doing this for us and they could have sent us to Little Rock, I would still have been happy!!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As much as I would love to big up Jamaica's carnival, I really cant as its quite mediocre in comparison to other Caribbean Islands. Personally it would not even crack the top 5, as it cant touch Trini, Crop Over, Spice Mas or Junkanoo. We are more of a Dancehall/Reggae culture, so our main events are Sumfest and Rebel Salute, which are music festivals.

While Caribana is a nice event and adds alot of flavor to the city, the overregulation from city government does not allow for a free flowing authentic Caribbean experience. Carnival in the WI has no huge walls of uptight police (They are too busy jumping up and whining), first or last call, start or closing time. So basically they treat you like adults as we are there to have fun, something that is truly lacking at Caribana.
Thankfully, revellers in Toronto generally ignore the barricades, so that by the mid-way point of the carnival, the crowd becomes part of the parade. At least that's the way it's been in years past. Don't know if they got stricter this year. I do agree that that there is too much regulating in general in this city and not enough of just letting people have a good time. Most people party responsibly. The police should only be there to deal with those who don't, who are a nuisance or a danger to others. Otherwise, they should let people drink outside a crappy "tent", let them dance in the parade, let people truly enjoy themselves. But cops need to feel like they are doing something. Invite them to a parade, and they will always find a way to rain on it. This city doesn't know how to truly cut loose and let people have fun.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you got that right and this is what too many people in America do not realize. They think the government just pays for it and never wonder where the money is coming from.

That being said and now I have it off my chest: we too will be visiting for a day or so, in late Sept. We will be renting a car at the airport, driving it to a resort outside of Barrie for 5 nights, then returning to the Toronto area. Here is what we need help with?

By the time we get back to the car rental place it will be mid morning. We will probably stay at an airport hotel for 2 nights or that is our plan.

Should we plan on just enjoying Toronto or should be take a day tour (or 1/2 day) to the falls on Friday and just do what we can in Toronto on Thursday? We were thinking the on again/off again bus.

Also anyone have any idea the cost of transfers from the airport into the city to do sight seeing. I don't think we want to attempt driving in a new city.

We can rent a car for a day and take it to Buffalo/Niagara Falls for $60.00? Is that a better deal than just taking a tour to the Falls?
I would personally stick around the Toronto area and enjoy the city for a couple days. But that's just me. Niagara Falls has its charm, no doubt, but how can you fly into one of North America's best cities and not stick around to enjoy it for a day or two? Seeing as how you'll be up in cottage country for the majority of your time in Ontario, a couple days in the city will be a nice contrast, methinks - to give you a broader view of how we do up here in Southern Ontario. I just got back from a vacation up in Muskoka myself, and now I'm gonna be house sitting downtown for a couple weeks. I'm excited to get my butt out of the burbs and back to my beloved metropolis. TO is at its best in the summer. Sometimes it can feel almost deserted because everyone is up north or overseas, but then everyone comes back and the city truly comes alive: patios are full, parks echo with the happy cries of children playing, the streets are packed with honeys in short skirts and dudes in shorts and shades, while porches sit in for the stoops of the Northeastern US cities, and on residential streets just about every household can be found out on their porch enjoying the warm weather. The city's trendy neighbourhoods are brimming with folk out to see and be seen, sitting out on a patio, or browsing the shops and galleries, buying fresh produce or walking their dog. It's construction season, so traffic snarls keep some out of their cars, ad cycling season is in high gear. Yeah, Toronto shows its best self in the warm months and it's definitely worth sticking around for a visit.

Last edited by TOkidd; 07-10-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I would personally stick around the Toronto area and enjoy the city for a couple days. But that's just me. Niagara Falls has its charm, no doubt, but how can you fly into one of North America's best cities and not stick around to enjoy it for a day or two? Seeing as how you'll be up in cottage country for the majority of your time in Ontario, a couple days in the city will be a nice contrast, methinks - to give you a broader view of how we do up here in Southern Ontario. I just got back from a vacation up in Muskoka myself, and now I'm gonna be house sitting downtown for a couple weeks. I'm excited to get my butt out of the burbs and back to my beloved metropolis. TO is at its best in the summer. Sometimes it can feel almost deserted because everyone is up north or overseas, but then everyone comes back and the city truly comes alive: patios are full, parks echo with the happy cries of children playing, the streets are packed with honeys in short skirts and dudes in shorts and shades, while porches sit in for the stoops of the Northeastern US cities, and on residential streets just about every household can be found out on their porch enjoying the warm weather. The city's trendy neighbourhoods are brimming with folk out to see and be seen, sitting out on a patio, or browsing the shops and galleries, buying fresh produce or walking their dog. It's construction season, so traffic snarls keep some out of their cars, ad cycling season is in high gear. Yeah, Toronto shows its best self in the warm months and it's definitely worth sticking around for a visit.
Thanks for everyone's help: I have 2 more questions: 1-late Sept into the first few days of Oct, what will the weather be like and 2-what is the tipping policy in Canada compared with the USA? Even though we have been to Canada a few times I don't know if we tipped according to Canada custom or not.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help: I have 2 more questions: 1-late Sept into the first few days of Oct, what will the weather be like and 2-what is the tipping policy in Canada compared with the USA? Even though we have been to Canada a few times I don't know if we tipped according to Canada custom or not.
Sept-Oct is the best season to visit Toronto and many other parts of Canada. Temperature will be in the mid teens and the change color of leaves makes the city much more attractive.

tipping is not as generous as in the US. 15% for standard service and less if you think it is not satisfactory. I normally pay 10% if I am not happy with the service, but not less. There is no need to tip 20%+.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Sept-Oct is the best season to visit Toronto and many other parts of Canada. Temperature will be in the mid teens and the change color of leaves makes the city much more attractive.

tipping is not as generous as in the US. 15% for standard service and less if you think it is not satisfactory. I normally pay 10% if I am not happy with the service, but not less. There is no need to tip 20%+.
ok, now I have to ask, it the teens temp F or C? I assume it is C, right? Thanks for the tipping info.

Nita

Old 07-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
ok, now I have to ask, it the teens temp F or C? I assume it is C, right? Thanks for the tipping info.

Nita
Yes, teens in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. At that time of year, the temperature is generally in the high teens and low twenties during the day, but can drop to the low teens at night, meaning you should bring a sweater and light coat.

I agree with Botticelli that Fall is probably the best time weather-wise to visit the city. By the beginning of October the heat and humidity of summer are pretty much past, and the cold weather of winter is still a couple months off.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Yes, teens in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. At that time of year, the temperature is generally in the high teens and low twenties during the day, but can drop to the low teens at night, meaning you should bring a sweater and light coat.

I agree with Botticelli that Fall is probably the best time weather-wise to visit the city. By the beginning of October the heat and humidity of summer are pretty much past, and the cold weather of winter is still a couple months off.
ok, so are we pretty safe wearing jeans or long pants and T shirts or short sleeve tops and bringing a wind breaker for the cooler times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto