U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,204,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Toronto isn't like London at all. London isn't even on a grid pattern. London's suburbs are built around the underground and the trains. Brampton or Mississauga look nothing like a London suburb would. What London suburb has 6-lane arterial roads and drive-thru fast food? Sure, it's more like the U.K. than American cities, and they have narrow lot sizes and because it's in Canada, there's more British influence from more recent immigration from the British Isles, but it's still way more similar to Minneapolis than it is to London.

A question for the OP: why are you considering Toronto?
It's possible to be similar to more than one city...
And just because it's MORE similar to one city doesn't mean it ISN'T AT ALL similar to any other cities.
Especially a city like Toronto that is so unbelievably varied and diverse from neighborhood to neighborhood.
Yeah, I agree, it's more like Minneapolis than London. Actually I'd say it's probably more like Minneapolis than any other city, except maybe Chicago, but it still is similar to London in many ways.

Also it's not like that's a bad thing, London is really awesome.

The most important similarity they have is the cultural diversity. Even in New York, the diversity isn't as much a part of the local fabric as it is in London and Toronto.

In terms of architecture and suburbs, you've missed the point. Did you miss the part where I said "it's what London would be like if it were in North America?" Yes obviously you aren't going to find privet hedges in all the suburbs like you do in London, but that doesn't mean there are **no similarities the end.**
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,040,680 times
I would list several other North American cities well ahead of Minneapolis based on their similarity to Toronto. Toronto is a gritty, grimy, tightly packed, yet eclectic and worldly well-worn beast compared to Minneapolis.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM

377 posts, read 1,643,089 times
There is another thread where it was discussed at length what US cities are most comparable to Toronto.

My personal opinion is that it's comparable to Chicago in population, influence and geography. Comparable to San Francisco or Los Angeles in cost of living. Comparable to Philadelphia in architecture. Comparable to NYC in demographics (it is very diverse).

The suburbs are comparable to Dallas in layout, architecture and infrastructure (big freeways, grid roads, large brick houses, big business parks and very little green space).

Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 12,163 times
Toronto is amazing world class city, urban, diverse, good job market and a great airport. Also, the food scene is improving daily

Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,204,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I would list several other North American cities well ahead of Minneapolis based on their similarity to Toronto. Toronto is a gritty, grimy, tightly packed, yet eclectic and worldly well-worn beast compared to Minneapolis.
Well, like I said, it's not a perfect comparison and Chicago might be more apt, but I don't really think there is a perfect comparison. Anyway it may not be tightly packed, but Minneapolis does have its share of gritty/grimy and eclectic/worldly. I'd point you to Cedar-Riverside, Uptown, Dinkytown, and University Ave between downtown Mpls and St. Paul.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,483,951 times
I don't get this whole idea of Toronto being similar to American cities. So Toronto is just like Indianapolis, Syracuse, St. Louis, Sacramento, Houston etc? I don't really even get the Chicago comparison aside from being cold and on a great lake ... Chicago is a gritty, All-American city with a huge black population. Chicago also is not a global city at all but rather the capital of the Midwest.

I'd say if any city is like Toronto it would be Vancouver and then Philadelphia or Boston as a very distant secondary comparison. I suppose I could see a little Toronto in Seattle too but not much.

Canadian cities are most comparable to Australian cities but I'd say the closest things you would find in America would be Portland, Boston and San Francisco.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,483,951 times
I don't consider Toronto gritty at all. Even the more run down parts like Parkdale are still pretty nice and feel safe. I mean it feel edgy if you grew up in Parry Sound but otherwise no.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
I have lived in London and Toronto - the only similarities are in the classic 'urban' environment. When you've seen one city, you've seen them all', right? The only things that might be different would be when: opening a bank account, buying/renting accommodation, driving, types of shopping and accent.

Toronto has become more like NYC in the past decade, which is sad. The way TO used to be was much better; I would recommend that you consider living elsewhere. Probably London?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM

578 posts, read 2,501,844 times
Question for the OP: Maybe I missed it, but how are you planning to immigrate to Canada? Are you in one of those high-demand positions?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM

22 posts, read 19,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_H View Post
I have lived in London and Toronto - the only similarities are in the classic 'urban' environment. When you've seen one city, you've seen them all', right? The only things that might be different would be when: opening a bank account, buying/renting accommodation, driving, types of shopping and accent.

Toronto has become more like NYC in the past decade, which is sad. The way TO used to be was much better; I would recommend that you consider living elsewhere. Probably London?
I sincerely hope the poster did not move to Toronto. The above is correct. Toronto is an NYC wannabe with the worst real estate market I have ever seen for renters, and the most corrupt landlords I have ever dealt with, along with the "Landlord and Tenant Board." It was way better in the past before it got taken over by "foreign investors" or slumlords might be a more appropriate name.

Save your time and money and go to Chicago especially if:
1. You care about air quality. Toronto has smokers on every block plus bad construction dust from all the condos being built that look like they'll come down in a few years. I am not saying Chicago has the world's best air quality, but inhaling cigarette smoke all day when I'm walking outside was not an issue there.

2. You want a good affordable place to live. I am not sure that exists in Toronto unless you pay over $2,000 a month for a studio or 500 SQF one-bedroom apartment.

3. You like architecture, unless you want to look at shoddy concrete and glass condos all day.

There is also culture shock. Customer service is non-existent. People are incredibly bumpy, rude, and on edge. Can't tell you how many times I almost got hit by a car driving aggressively or had someone walk into me, even though they were on the wrong side. I even witnessed a woman at 9:00 am in the morning yelling at people to "Walk on the right f***ing side of the sidewalk!" I have seen more public outbursts in a few months in Toronto than I have all my life. Don't think you'll get nice here, even "Minnesota Nice" in general with interactions with strangers for the most part.

This ain't the same Toronto as in the past. This is Corporate Canada here. If you don't believe any of this, I would urge you to spend one week in Chicago and one week in Toronto.

If you want to come to Canada to leave the US, go to either:
1. Montreal (if you know French and can get a job)
2. Vancouver (people are nice, some can be weird downtown, but has condo problems like Toronto and expensive, so watch out)
3. Smaller town like Ottawa. Been my observation that Canadians outside of Toronto are pretty nice. I don't know what is in Toronto water, or maybe the ridiculous growth and everyday hassle, puts everyone on edge. Hassle is a very important word to know if you do decide to come here.

Last edited by blackhawks; 10-31-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto