U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:57 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,849,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawks View Post
I sincerely hope the poster did not move to Toronto. The above is correct. Toronto is an NYC wannabe with the worst real estate market I have ever seen for renters, and the most corrupt landlords I have ever dealt with, along with the "Landlord and Tenant Board." It was way better in the past before it got taken over by "foreign investors" or slumlords might be a more appropriate name.

Save your time and money and go to Chicago especially if:
1. You care about air quality. Toronto has smokers on every block plus bad construction dust from all the condos being built that look like they'll come down in a few years. I am not saying Chicago has the world's best air quality, but inhaling cigarette smoke all day when I'm walking outside was not an issue there.

2. You want a good affordable place to live. I am not sure that exists in Toronto unless you pay over $2,000 a month for a studio or 500 SQF one-bedroom apartment.

3. You like architecture, unless you want to look at shoddy concrete and glass condos all day.

There is also culture shock. Customer service is non-existent. People are incredibly bumpy, rude, and on edge. Can't tell you how many times I almost got hit by a car driving aggressively or had someone walk into me, even though they were on the wrong side. I even witnessed a woman at 9:00 am in the morning yelling at people to "Walk on the right f***ing side of the sidewalk!" I have seen more public outbursts in a few months in Toronto than I have all my life. Don't think you'll get nice here, even "Minnesota Nice" in general with interactions with strangers for the most part.

This ain't the same Toronto as in the past. This is Corporate Canada here. If you don't believe any of this, I would urge you to spend one week in Chicago and one week in Toronto.

If you want to come to Canada to leave the US, go to either:
1. Montreal (if you know French and can get a job)
2. Vancouver (people are nice, some can be weird downtown, but has condo problems like Toronto and expensive, so watch out)
3. Smaller town like Ottawa. Been my observation that Canadians outside of Toronto are pretty nice. I don't know what is in Toronto water, or maybe the ridiculous growth and everyday hassle, puts everyone on edge. Hassle is a very important word to know if you do decide to come here.
Not sure what your personal experience is like, but I've lived and worked in SF, NYC, Boston, and now Toronto, and Toronto is by far the most affordable among those cities to rent, by a wide margin. Similar quality condo-style apartments in Boston can easily go for $3500-4000 per month for 2 bedroom, if not more. Add another $500-1000 for NYC and SF.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 AM

128 posts, read 217,555 times
I'm an American I moved from Florida. However, I lived in Dallas for 4-5 years. When I first moved here, it was a culture shock. Toronto looks the same, but it did not feel the same is how I can put it. I felt like most people were walking around like zombies. I've been here for 6 years and I've never been able to make any long lasting friendships, I feel like an outcast. The advise of the blackhawks is spot on. There's not much to do here. Many people do not speak English and do not even try to speak English. There is no patriotism here there is no Canadian culture. Halloween is celebrated more than Thanksgiving. It took me 4 years to find employment because I did no have any Canadian experience. Life is expensive, I never ate instant noodles until I moved here (I married a Canadian.) Can't wait to move back to TX or FL.

Pro's
Spring, Summer, and fall is very beautiful here. Idk, people seem nicer around that time too, I guess because they're getting more natural sun.
People are mostly honest here but you do run into a few Jacka$$.

Last edited by 30_miles; 11-01-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM

564 posts, read 981,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
I felt like most people were walking around like zombies.
I'm a recent transplant myself, and this is one of the things I am still not used to. People do not seem happy. It is an exciting city, in my opinion, and our standard of living is great (weather and other issues notwithstanding). But many people look like they are on their way home to chew a bullet.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:22 PM

10,847 posts, read 13,466,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawks View Post

2. You want a good affordable place to live. I am not sure that exists in Toronto unless you pay over $2,000 a month for a studio or 500 SQF one-bedroom apartment.
Such senseless arguments weaken you Toronto bashing significantly. My condo right downtown core rents for $1500-1600 for the 600-650sf one bedroom units - within 3 minutes to the subway and Eaton Centre.

$2000 a month is almost enough for many two bedrooms. I don't know where your upscale $2,000 studio is. There must exist but hardly the normal price people pay.

Toronto is cheap in terms of rent. To complain about high rent in Toronto makes little sense.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,849,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Such senseless arguments weaken you Toronto bashing significantly. My condo right downtown core rents for $1500-1600 for the 600-650sf one bedroom units - within 3 minutes to the subway and Eaton Centre.

$2000 a month is almost enough for many two bedrooms. I don't know where your upscale $2,000 studio is. There must exist but hardly the normal price people pay.

Toronto is cheap in terms of rent. To complain about high rent in Toronto makes little sense.
Ditto. Clearly some people have never rented in places like NYC, SF, and Boston/Cambridge.

Also, incessantly blaming other people for being "zombies" and such really makes no sense - millions of people live in a city like Toronto; we are free society, and people can behave and act as they wish, sunshine or zombie. It's not really my nor your business to judge. The only thing I am certain of is my ability to control and change my own attitude and outlook on life, not dictating how others should or should not behave.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:59 PM

5,883 posts, read 4,301,791 times
Zombies?

Most people here, and probably in other forums, are those that do not immerse themselves into the working class, the usual average joes, of a city. No, they go to the Chelseas, the various Villages, the downtown cores. People there, as in my city, are just DIFFERENT than those you might find in actual organic, full-fledged neighborhoods.

Let's, see, in Toronto terms (and from what I know of your fine city, based on numerous visits for work or for family stuff) would you not say people in York are different than down around Union Station, or Bay Street? You get up around St. Clair/Dufferin, it feels like home. Down near the Hockey Hall of Fame, or at that crappy McDonald's on Yonge, and it feels like heavy Manhattan or our Grant Street - there is just no sense of belonging, in my perception.

Much of what I hear complained in this forum is probably consistent with most modern cities in the western world, don't you think?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 4,769,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I don't get this whole idea of Toronto being similar to American cities. So Toronto is just like Indianapolis, Syracuse, St. Louis, Sacramento, Houston etc? I don't really even get the Chicago comparison aside from being cold and on a great lake ... Chicago is a gritty, All-American city with a huge black population. Chicago also is not a global city at all but rather the capital of the Midwest.

I'd say if any city is like Toronto it would be Vancouver and then Philadelphia or Boston as a very distant secondary comparison. I suppose I could see a little Toronto in Seattle too but not much.

Canadian cities are most comparable to Australian cities but I'd say the closest things you would find in America would be Portland, Boston and San Francisco.
Toronto is most certainly not like Boston. The geography is way different and even the demographics are rather different. I'd like to call Toronto the New York City of Canada and in some ways it is (great ethnic diversity, great shopping, nightlife) but because it is much cleaner I'd liken it more to Chicago which btw is just as flat and clean as Toronto and only has 33% Black population which is not huge by American standards for major cities. Even actor and comedian Mike Myers, a GTA native, used suburban Chicago as the setting to the 1994 movie Wayne's World because he found Chicagoland to be so similar to Toronto's suburbs.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:25 PM

13,347 posts, read 13,571,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Toronto is most certainly not like Boston. The geography is way different and even the demographics are rather different. I'd like to call Toronto the New York City of Canada and in some ways it is (great ethnic diversity, great shopping, nightlife) but because it is much cleaner I'd liken it more to Chicago which btw is just as flat and clean as Toronto and only has 33% Black population which is not huge by American standards for major cities. Even actor and comedian Mike Myers, a GTA native, used suburban Chicago as the setting to the 1994 movie Wayne's World because he found Chicagoland to be so similar to Toronto's suburbs.
Toronto is certainly not a flat city.

Toronto ravine system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2014, 02:50 PM

13,347 posts, read 13,571,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Zombies?

Most people here, and probably in other forums, are those that do not immerse themselves into the working class, the usual average joes, of a city. No, they go to the Chelseas, the various Villages, the downtown cores. People there, as in my city, are just DIFFERENT than those you might find in actual organic, full-fledged neighborhoods.

Let's, see, in Toronto terms (and from what I know of your fine city, based on numerous visits for work or for family stuff) would you not say people in York are different than down around Union Station, or Bay Street? You get up around St. Clair/Dufferin, it feels like home. Down near the Hockey Hall of Fame, or at that crappy McDonald's on Yonge, and it feels like heavy Manhattan or our Grant Street - there is just no sense of belonging, in my perception.

Much of what I hear complained in this forum is probably consistent with most modern cities in the western world, don't you think?
Don't talk about this - it goes against the neat and tidy perception that all Torontonians far and wide in every nabe have no soul and are only one notch above a Cylon in terms of humanity lol.. Otherwise I completely agree with you

Old 11-08-2014, 05:06 PM

1,792 posts, read 1,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
I've been here for 6 years and I've never been able to make any long lasting friendships, I feel like an outcast.
6 years? 2,190 days? 52,560 hours? You've never made a single decent friend? And you're blaming Toronto for this?

If there was a drinking game for every time somebody in this section blamed this city for their social problems, Otis from Andy Griffith couldn't keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto