Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 PM

127 posts, read 269,051 times

Advertisements

TTC subway signage need to be fixed
I always thought that i was the only one thinking that until i actually read some press about it.
TTC should really make the signs standard and easy to understand . 1-line names are almost impossible to remember for a tourist , even if they do remember i doesn't really help since the names changes wether you are in a station or another EXP: Bloor-Danforth line sometimes it called "Danforth train "Bloor train" and sometimes they use the word subways and sometimes they use the word train , most of subways in the world uses colors or numbers to designate lines .
2- the directions are indicated with north ,south,east,west bound which is very confusing ,where most subways use the last station on the line as a direction
3-outside subways signs are not standard they have different look and nameless , it says only ttc and not the station name .
4-plenty of signs inside the metro with different sizes , different character ,different abbreviations.
I understand that Locals are use to it and don't really need signs to find their direction but can you imagine the tourist and visitors ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
I remember when I first started riding, there were moments of confusion... but you can always ask a TTC worker or just ask a stranger (the better option) and more often than not you'll get your bearings.

The problem isn't that there aren't any signs, the problem is they're old and hard to see. Very easy to miss.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
agree. I have never seen a more stupid name than the "Yonge-University-Spadina" line. Of course U-shape design is stupid to start with as well.

Our ttc definitely doesn't say "developed country". It is so bad but most people don't seem to understand how bad and backward it is. A second tiered Chinese city has much better and extensive transit system.

in 2013, we still don't have a rechargeable transit card to use, and are pretending we are developing some "cutting-edge" Presto card, which hasn't happened after 7 years of endless discussion.

People elsewhere do visit Toronto and use the TTC, and many feel being brought back to 1990.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
TTC subway signage need to be fixed
I always thought that i was the only one thinking that until i actually read some press about it.
TTC should really make the signs standard and easy to understand . 1-line names are almost impossible to remember for a tourist , even if they do remember i doesn't really help since the names changes wether you are in a station or another EXP: Bloor-Danforth line sometimes it called "Danforth train "Bloor train" and sometimes they use the word subways and sometimes they use the word train , most of subways in the world uses colors or numbers to designate lines .
2- the directions are indicated with north ,south,east,west bound which is very confusing ,where most subways use the last station on the line as a direction
3-outside subways signs are not standard they have different look and nameless , it says only ttc and not the station name .
4-plenty of signs inside the metro with different sizes , different character ,different abbreviations.
I understand that Locals are use to it and don't really need signs to find their direction but can you imagine the tourist and visitors ???
I agree with some of your points, but the TTC does have color-coded subwys lines (Green for Bloor/Danforth; Yellow for Yonge/University/Spadina; Purple for Sheppard; Blue for the Scarborough RT), and signs at platform level (above each track) as well as on the trains that clearly state the final station on the route, not just the direction. For example, if you are on the green-colored Bloor-Danforth Line, one track will have signs saying Westbound to Kipling, and the opposite track will have signs saying Eastbound to Kennedy. The Yonge/University/Spadina line might seem confusing, but once you are on the platform, signs above each track clearly state if the train is terminating at Downsview or Finch. This is all the information you need to decide which train to get on.
As far as your fourth point, I've found signage at street level to be less than ideal, but once in the station there is a standardized font, and I don't believe they use abbreviations for street names and TTC lines.
As with any transit system, it's best to study the map before using it for the first time. Once you have a rough idea of the lines, the major transfer points, and the location of terminus stations like Finch or Kipling, the subway system itself is quite easy to navigate. Since the TTC relies heavily on buses and streetcars as well, it is a good idea to study the route of any lines you may be using, so that you know which subway stations they terminate at, and which path they follow across their route. For example, it is good to know that the King and Dundas streetcars both begin and end their routes at Dundas West / Broadview Stations.
I think it isthis mix of buses, subways, streetcars, and now light rail, that makes the TTC difficult to navigate for people new to the system. Certainly the TTC could do more to make it easier for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto