Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,232,169 times

Advertisements

Toronto may have overtaken Montreal in the 70s, but for a good 50 years before that the two cities (metro area) were very close to each other in size. Sure, Montreal was a little bigger, but for some reason most people seem to think that it was a much bigger city while Toronto was still a small town. Not true at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
It's all subjective, there's no right or wrong answer. One can say more work-life balance is better but the US system has contributed a lot in terms of innovation that Canada and most countries around the world have utilized to improve their living standards. It's easy for some to kick the US when its down but I don't think it will very wise to count them out. All systems have its merits and flaws and are constantly evolving too. Canadian and the US systems, if anything, continue to move a bit closer over time but Canada is a nice in-between hedge from a global perspective.
Oh absolutely and if we inflated our population about 10 times we'd also be a powerhouse of innovation (in which we are no slouch now or historically either). For our population I think we have punched our weight or above in terms of contributions that others have benefited from as well

Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
To TOKIdd's point, apparently much of the "old" sections of Toronto were bulldozed away for glass and concrete developments
One word for this TRAGIC

Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
No, I don't think the world is only about North America and Western Europe. I am a student of History and Literature who has traveled quite extensively. But from your initial post, you seemed to suggest that large cities older than 400 years were the rule, rather than the exception. Yes, there are some old large cities - I've actually been to Kyoto. It is very beautiful. But these large, ancient cities are dwarfed by the number of newer large metropolises around the world. Furthermore, the actual site of certain cities may be very old, but how many of these cities have preserved many of their ancient buildings or have any much continuity between 2000 years ago and now? Because if you want to play that game, Toronto and the surrounding area is an ancient settlement used by First Nations people long before any white man stepped foot on the shores of Lake Ontario. But is Toronto old by virtue of the fact that its site has been in use for many hundreds of years? No. Because there is little continuity, just as there is between Medieval Baghdad and present-day Baghdad; ancient Alleppo and modern-day Alleppo. We're really focusing on the built environment, and even London and Paris (both 2000+ years old) retain relatively few of their Medieval structures, never mind those from the Roman Period.

To say my perspective is North American and Euro-centric is disingenuous. In this thread we are talking about Toronto, so it makes sense to keep it in a North American context. 400 years is quite old in North America. I personally don't give a rat's a55 how long ago Romulus and his brother suckled from a wolves' teat, because different regions of the world are going to have different standards for this kind of thing. Yes, Toronto is new compared to London, Rome, Paris, Athens, Kabul, Istanbul, Baghdad, Alleppo. etc. But when we talk of Toronto's age, I think it's pretty obvious to most people that we're speaking of it in a North American context. Especially considering that in the many pages of this thread there were no real comparisons to cities outside of North America. So to drop in and say "400 years is nothing in the life of a city" doesn't make much sense in this thread. Toronto is a new city just like most North American cities are new. Some are older and with more history, but most of the large NA cities are fairly new. But it also has relatively old roots for a North American city, which is evident in its many Georgian, Victorian, and Edwardian structures.

Finally, Botticelli, you don't know enough about me to make assumptions about where I've traveled and what I know and don't know.

Natnasci: As for London having the most Victorian architecture in the world, yes, I assumed people wouldn't count London as one of Toronto's competitors in this department.

Why? You're statement said "We don't have the most Victorian architecture in North America (and possiboy the world) for nothing. "

No offense, but I think you're trying to backtrack.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
[/color]

Why? You're statement said "We don't have the most Victorian architecture in North America (and possiboy the world) for nothing. "

No offense, but I think you're trying to backtrack.
Who cares lol.... anybody in the world would be willing to cede this measure to London...People always slam Toronto for its architecture but if you appreciate residential or industrial Victorian architecture Toronto is tough to beat and it is a feather in our cap.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,990,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When were you in Toronto last Edward? Toronto has a plethora of entertainment options.. If you enjoy museums we have some pretty impressive examples...

You mean like the Bata Shoe Museum?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
You mean like the Bata Shoe Museum?
Oh god - yes and you are one of those objective members who concludes any museum sucks because it has to... well because its in Toronto..

Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Oh god - yes and you are one of those objective members who concludes any museum sucks because it has to... well because its in Toronto..
That made no sense. I think your Toronto conceit is blinding you again.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
That made no sense. I think your Toronto conceit is blinding you again.
You were the one being condescending about my referencing the Bata Shoe Musuem as being an attraction - was it necessary and did that make sense to say it other than to be sarcastic.. Just because you and some others don't appreciate it doesn't mean it isn't a unique example of its kind and there are people who would and do appreciate it.. What about the ROM and AGO - I suppose if I sound of the attributes of those institutions (and rightfully so) i'm simply buried in 'Toronto' conceit.

I was in Montreal recently and a guy asked me where I was from and I said Toronto.. He goes, well what do you think of Montreal - I said beautiful city - wonderful architecture, great restaurants, culture very vibrant and alive place - really fun... I love it.. you know what he said, yeah but I still hate Toronto. So I asked why and he goes.. 'I dunno, I just don't like it'

Why am I making reference to you in this little tale, because your comment reminded me of the guy who didn't substantiate why he didn't like something other than an empty statement.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
You were the one being condescending about my referencing the Bata Shoe Musuem as being an attraction - was it necessary and did that make sense to say it other than to be sarcastic.. Just because you and some others don't appreciate it doesn't mean it isn't a unique example of its kind and there are people who would and do appreciate it.. What about the ROM and AGO - I suppose if I sound of the attributes of those institutions (and rightfully so) i'm simply buried in 'Toronto' conceit.

I was in Montreal recently and a guy asked me where I was from and I said Toronto.. He goes, well what do you think of Montreal - I said beautiful city - wonderful architecture, great restaurants, culture very vibrant and alive place - really fun... I love it.. you know what he said, yeah but I still hate Toronto. So I asked why and he goes.. 'I dunno, I just don't like it'

Why am I making reference to you in this little tale, because your comment reminded me of the guy who didn't substantiate why he didn't like something other than an empty statement.

Yeah, I've heard the anecdote about the guy from Montreal, or Windsor, or Vancouver, or wherever before. It's cliche at this point.
ROM and AGO are outdated and boring, by the way. Whoopee, they attached a "crystal" monstrosity to ROM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto