Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has more in common with Toronto?
Chicago 14 70.00%
Vancouver 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

Chicago or Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Vancouver. Chicago is only more similar to Toronto in terms of climate and economy. In terms of everything else, I would definitely consider Vancouver to be more similar to Toronto.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I've always heard Chicago.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Vancouver.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
I'd go with Chicago since I can think of more commonalities:

Chicago - structure of city, everyday lifestyle of people, population size, economic mix (financial services & manufacturing). Both are industrial great lakes cities with similar weather and night life options and I find people in both cities to be quite polite and pragmatic. And of course both have original 6 hockey teams!

Vancouver - the biggest commonality I find is the racial population mix of people in both Vancouver and Toronto (White + large Chinese and Indian communities), but this is the only commonality I can really think of.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Vancouver - the biggest commonality I find is the racial population mix of people in both Vancouver and Toronto (White + large Chinese and Indian communities), but this is the only commonality I can really think of.
And that Toronto and Vancouver are both in Canada. Chicago does not have that in common.

My experience is that Toronto is much more relaxed and friendly than Chicago. I also find Vancouver to be more relaxed and friendly than most American big cities, save Portland, OR, and Salt Lake City, perhaps. My vote goes to Vancouver.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
It is a smaller and less glamorous version of Chicago, and it is a bigger and more vibrant version of Philadelphia (although Toronto doesn't think too much of it). I would say it is something between the two.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
To me people are what make a city, so for that reason alone I would say Toronto is hands down alot more like Vancouver then Chicago.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I'd go with Chicago since I can think of more commonalities:

Chicago - structure of city, everyday lifestyle of people, population size, economic mix (financial services & manufacturing). Both are industrial great lakes cities with similar weather and night life options and I find people in both cities to be quite polite and pragmatic. And of course both have original 6 hockey teams!

Agreed.

Both:
-are roughly the size size in land area.
-are roughly same size in city population.
-roughly the same size in metro population (Golden Horseshoe / Chicagoland).
-have large iconic, skylines (yes Chicago's is larger at the moment).
-situated along one of the great lakes.
-very similar climates.
-large financial centres
-Both follow a grid style street layout.

Maybe the cultural make up and both cities being in Canada are similarities between Vancouver/Toronto, but just about everything else has Toronto/Chicago resembling each other IMO.

They ain't sister cities for reason...

Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

116 posts, read 294,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Agreed.

Both:
-are roughly the size size in land area.
-are roughly same size in city population.
-roughly the same size in metro population (Golden Horseshoe / Chicagoland).
-have large iconic, skylines (yes Chicago's is larger at the moment).
-situated along one of the great lakes.
-very similar climates.
-large financial centres
-Both follow a grid style street layout.

Maybe the cultural make up and both cities being in Canada are similarities between Vancouver/Toronto, but just about everything else has Toronto/Chicago resembling each other IMO.

They ain't sister cities for reason...
Agreed:

the only difference BTW both is the mosaic Toronto and Chicago is less and Chicago as a city has more character than Toronto. Indeed Chicago uses it water front better than Toronto. i think this is a big missing point from Toronto by not revitalizing it. after that as the OP being said the both look same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto