Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 AM

659 posts, read 896,051 times

Advertisements

I like this thread (although it's a couple of years old). I've been here over a month and can't figure out if I live in north Toronto, uptown, midtown, Lytton Park, North York, or what.......where am I???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:11 AM

32 posts, read 36,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I like this thread (although it's a couple of years old). I've been here over a month and can't figure out if I live in north Toronto, uptown, midtown, Lytton Park, North York, or what.......where am I???????
Yeah, that seems common for Toronto.

I worked with someone who said he lived in The Beaches. He didn't, he lived in Scarborough but The Beaches sounded better.

Funny, when I met my wife she said she lived in High Park even though she lived near Rogers and Keele.

We used to live on Humbercrest Blvd which is in Old Mill. Some residents called it Baby Point since one of the streets is BP and is known for some really nice century homes, gorgeous homes.

Out of curiosity I checked Google maps and showed Lytton Park as the neighbourhood and Midtown as a larger area encompassing a few neighbourhoods.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarket Paul View Post
Yeah, that seems common for Toronto.

I worked with someone who said he lived in The Beaches. He didn't, he lived in Scarborough but The Beaches sounded better.

Funny, when I met my wife she said she lived in High Park even though she lived near Rogers and Keele.

We used to live on Humbercrest Blvd which is in Old Mill. Some residents called it Baby Point since one of the streets is BP and is known for some really nice century homes, gorgeous homes.

Out of curiosity I checked Google maps and showed Lytton Park as the neighbourhood and Midtown as a larger area encompassing a few neighbourhoods.
Since it's a matter of opinion I guess I live in/near Yonge and Eglinton.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,666,946 times
Avenue and Lawrence has a very different vibe from Yonge/Eg, which probably includes 4/5 blocks north of Eglinton Ave between Avenue road and mt pleasant. It's really a small area, likely 10 minutes walk from the intersection from all directions.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:00 PM

5,795 posts, read 6,003,842 times
North Toronto was the name of a former suburb mostly built up around the old Yonge radial rail line. To me when someone says "North Toronto" that refers to the older, generally lower density parts. Midtown is a newer term that came into use as Toronto expanded north of the 401 and suburbs sprung up in York Region and high density "downtown-like" nodes sprung up along the Yonge subway. So I associate Midtown with the areas around St Clair, Davisville and Eglinton stations.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 AM

3,608 posts, read 3,365,603 times
I lived just off Yonge, between Eglinton and Lawrence, for a number of years. To us residents, it was "North Toronto," after the former municipality; or "Uptown." North of the city limits, at the lip of Hogg's Hollow, was "North York"--a suburb.

Lytton Park wasn't known as that when I lived there, though Lawrence Park (east side of Yonge, north and east of Chatsworth) was. Oddly, Lawrence Park Collegiate wasn't in Lawrence Park at all, being west of Yonge; but North Toronto Collegiate was definitely in North Toronto.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I lived just off Yonge, between Eglinton and Lawrence, for a number of years. To us residents, it was "North Toronto," after the former municipality; or "Uptown." North of the city limits, at the lip of Hogg's Hollow, was "North York"--a suburb.

Lytton Park wasn't known as that when I lived there, though Lawrence Park (east side of Yonge, north and east of Chatsworth) was. Oddly, Lawrence Park Collegiate wasn't in Lawrence Park at all, being west of Yonge; but North Toronto Collegiate was definitely in North Toronto.
Sometimes when I use my postal code my city changes from Toronto to North York. I didn't think where I am was every part of North York.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:50 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,778,830 times
Quote:
Sometimes when I use my postal code my city changes from Toronto to North York. I didn't think where I am was every part of North York.

This is a pre-amalgamation thing when North York was a municipality (before 1998)... If I put my city as 'Etobicoke' i'll still get my mail delivery but indeed North York, Etobicoke, East York, York, Scarborough just like Old Toronto are now just - Toronto.. The old borders do give us a way of sort of differentiating areas. Old Toronto for instance will always be the 'best' and most urban part of Toronto and pretty much everyone around the world who envisions Toronto or visits it will base their perception or trip in 'Old Toronto' - Everywhere else is largely just a place to live.

For you - fortunately you're close enough to Old Toronto that you can be happy!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is a pre-amalgamation thing when North York was a municipality (before 1998)... If I put my city as 'Etobicoke' i'll still get my mail delivery but indeed North York, Etobicoke, East York, York, Scarborough just like Old Toronto are now just - Toronto.. The old borders do give us a way of sort of differentiating areas. Old Toronto for instance will always be the 'best' and most urban part of Toronto and pretty much everyone around the world who envisions Toronto or visits it will base their perception or trip in 'Old Toronto' - Everywhere else is largely just a place to live.

For you - fortunately you're close enough to Old Toronto that you can be happy!
Right, but the weird thing is, I don't think my immediate neighbourhood was within the boundaries of North York.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:02 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,778,830 times
Quote:
Right, but the weird thing is, I don't think my immediate neighbourhood was within the boundaries of North York.
I just googled Lawrence Avenue and here's an interesting excerpt I found (mind you wiki so take it for what it is but something at least to go by)

"The western terminus of Lawrence Avenue is Royal York Road. From there, the road continues as The Westway, a windy arterial road that ends at Martin Grove Road constructed post-World War II to serve the growing Richview neighbourhood development to the south and the Kingsview Village neighbourhood to the north. After only a short stretch in Etobicoke, where it runs through the Humber Heights – Westmount neighbourhood Lawrence crosses the Humber River and enters Weston in the former city of York. East of Weston it enters North York, and passes through the neighbourhoods of Amesbury, Maple Leaf, Glen Park, Lawrence Heights, and Lawrence Manor. Through this section the street is mostly home to low-rise residential, with some retail and office locations.
East of Avenue Road the road enters the Old City of Toronto, and is a major arterial for the North Toronto neighbourhood. This is one of the wealthiest parts o
f Toronto"

I highlighted in red what might interest you the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Avenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto