Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 12:25 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
This is the kind of pseudo-libertarianism that I do not understand.
You keep saying things like I dont agree with the burqa, it seems backward, etc. You want to ban it at schools, offices, etc. But you are okay with it in other places? Isnt this the not in my back yard syndrome?

So as long as your family or your neighbors do not have to deal with this ... you are okay with it! If it is bad, it is bad. It cannot be okay in a park and not be okay in your kid's school.

And what do you mean by office? Whose office (government vs private)? You mean the work place in general? You are saying that the burqa be banned in all workplaces? If you are, then that essentially means that you have banned the burqa (and we are splitting hairs).
Except that you can't free someone from a prison by force if they themselves don't see where they are as a prison. The best you can do is open up the door and throw away the key to the cell, and eventually hopefully they'll see what it's like outside for themselves and venture out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

FYI - there is another thread on this in the Canada section. Interestingly enough, the other one is more pro-burqa, or at least pro-burqa everywhere in society.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Our world is full of reverse discrimination like this. For example, there is Miss Black USA where only black women can compete, but if someone proposes a Miss White USA then that would be racial discrimination.
You really dont believe that, do you? You call that reverse discrimination? You think white girls across American feel left out because they cannot participate in Black Miss America?

This is like that recent Black History vs White History Month debate.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except that you can't free someone from a prison by force if they themselves don't see where they are as a prison. The best you can do is open up the door and throw away the key to the cell, and eventually hopefully they'll see what it's like outside for themselves and venture out.
I am not really freeing anyone. I am just breaking down the walls! Especially because the walls have been erected too close for comfort.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
This is the kind of pseudo-libertarianism that I do not understand.
You keep saying things like I dont agree with the burqa, it seems backward, etc. You want to ban it at schools, offices, etc. But you are okay with it in other places? Isnt this the not in my back yard syndrome?

So as long as your family or your neighbors do not have to deal with this ... you are okay with it! If it is bad, it is bad. It cannot be okay in a park and not be okay in your kid's school.

And what do you mean by office? Whose office (government vs private)? You mean the work place in general? You are saying that the burqa be banned in all workplaces? If you are, then that essentially means that you have banned the burqa (and we are splitting hairs).
The Burqa may be odd to me but just because it is odd to me, I don't feel we should ban it completely in society under all circumstances if they are not harming anyone. If someone wants to smoke weed, people may not agree with it or think that its odd but that doesn't mean we should prevent people from smoking it in the privacy of their own home if they are not harming anyone. I can't approach issues as Black or White and thus have to compromise to balance one's rights and freedoms against harming others (most importantly) and clashing with societal norms.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM

181 posts, read 499,442 times
I think what irritates me most about the burqa and the hijab, is that it implies men are incapable of controlling their sexual desires and therefore women need to be covered up in such a way.

Recently, I read an article that basically argued the burqa represents multiculturalism. It upset me that this medieval costume was being defended in the name of multiculturalism.

To a certain extent, it is absolutely true that Islam is incompatible with the west and there are certain values that should not be compromised. Treatment of women, gays and other religions being some of them.

Liberals should be the most vocal opponents of Islam. Most liberal-minded people attack Christianity for their dogmatic beliefs, but turn a blind-eye to the fringe elements in the Islamic religion.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
The Burqa may be odd to me but just because it is odd to me, I don't feel we should ban it completely in society under all circumstances if they are not harming anyone.
But you are! You are banning it in schools and government offices (and private offices)? You dont want your kid's teachers in burqas. So obviously the level of oddity is pretty significant for you to ban it anywhere. It's not like banning a hat cause you find it a little odd.
Pardon me for saying this .... but are you now being dishonest?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
But you are! You are banning it in schools and government offices (and private offices)? You dont want your kid's teachers in burqas. So obviously the level of oddity is pretty significant for you to ban it anywhere. It's not like banning a hat cause you find it a little odd.
Well for public servants like teachers they are representatives of the state so this is very different from simply walking down the street.

There are plenty of things that people can wear walking down the street that I would not consider acceptable for my kids' teacher to wear.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
For those who are pro-Burqa, maybe we should open to allowing female genital circumcision in some cultures as well, since it is their culture and the girls do it "voluntarily".

Like Burqa we don't know the spit between those who are forced to and those who feel natural to do.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
But what if an ethnic group in our multicultural society wants to have celebration with their traditional ethnic garb and they want to wear burqas? Say they want to do this in a public park or in someone's backyard. I don't think the government should stop them from doing this just because people don't like the outfits. So no, I don't think government employees, schoolteachers, private offices (can officially make their own rules and I'm sure 95% will not permit it) should wear a burqa but to ban it 100% in all circumstances is just too much big brother, which is my (subjective) opinion.

Last edited by johnathanc; 08-23-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto