Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 6,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich 999 View Post
haha same man, my mom works for a european embassy hence i'm here stuck in toronto. not fun at all... even the guys here are very sensitive. it's not easy to joke around & say something smirky..a lot of them are kinda depressed too. BUT......the good side is most of them are really decent & kind-hearted, family oriented people. usually they are still intact with their high school friends. they cool... just not the bunch of people i'd hang out with & drink or go to holidays with...i'd die in boredom! lol

if you're after getting laid, the technique here is date someone..,then the local girls will flock to you as soon as they know you're taken hahaha works like a charm
The above sounds like someone is just looking for hook ups. I hate when men think "tricking" women in to having sex with them is a good look.

It might be women here find European men pretentious.

You are in the biggest city in Canada.

You have the highest concentration of educated and wealthy people in Canada in Toronto.

Educated or wealthy women don't like to feel like they are getting played.

If they want to hook up with you they don't want any games unless they are the ones playing them.

You might be acting too formal.

People in Toronto are not really that formal.

When in Ottawa I remember being approached by a son of a diplomat. The fact that he introduced himself as the son of a diplomat was strange. I agreed to hang out with him for the night, but could not wait to get the heck away from him. He was trying too hard to impress me. It was not a good look. I just felt sorry for him thinking wow he must be desperate or lonely to basically be trying to buy my interest. It was pretty obvious he was trying to get me to go home with him. I found how he was acting pathetic. If he just wanted to have sex he should have just gone to a prostitute . He was not acting creepy I might have been interested in him. When he introduced himself as the son of a diplomat I thought oh great a rich creepy older man who has a high chance of raping and killing me and getting away with it. The power level was grossly not balanced so he was a threat and not someone I felt comfortable around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 05:12 PM

287 posts, read 306,483 times
This age-old topic just keeps getting brought back to life again and again...it pretty much serves as a testimony itself 😂

Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
This age-old topic just keeps getting brought back to life again and again...it pretty much serves as a testimony itself 😂
Well I've noticed when you try to engage with those that say it is so bad - even in a safe online format - they aren't exactly very 'sociable' or engaging. They come across as cold and distant........

Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I've noticed when you try to engage with those that say it is so bad - even in a safe online format - they aren't exactly very 'sociable' or engaging. They come across as cold and distant........
By ‘engaging’ if you meant ridiculing and blaming them for feeling this way... then why would they ever come across as cold and distant I have no idea ! 😂

Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
In a city with a metro area of 3 million people i would suggest any difficulty to socialize would probably be more to do with ops character than with the city itself.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In a city with a metro area of 3 million people i would suggest any difficulty to socialize would probably be more to do with ops character than with the city itself.
Or you could suggest since people who made this claim all have lived in other places that are much smaller with much less than 3 million of population but didn’t have this problem back there , then it would be probably the character of the city not the ops... wait, we get back to this endless loop again? Sorry my bad 🤗

Old 04-10-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
By ‘engaging’ if you meant ridiculing and blaming them for feeling this way... then why would they ever come across as cold and distant I have no idea ! 😂
C'mon moveagain - they can't be that sensitive. If they are so susceptible and sensitive to a stranger on an online forum so called 'ridiculing' them than I think it just proves my point that really, perhaps the problem is they need to loosen up, lighten up and open themselves up to new experiences. We can play the blame Toronto game but ultimately - that won't help them! Getting out, networking, actually having the courage to meet people in the city is really important for them. Really Toronto is a backdrop. You can only blame 'it' so much until you realize that maybe instead of blaming the place and the people in it - you should look more introspectively. I think if they take that step - the next step will become obvious.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Or you could suggest since people who made this claim all have lived in other places that are much smaller with much less than 3 million of population but didn’t have this problem back there , then it would be probably the character of the city not the ops... wait, we get back to this endless loop again? Sorry my bad ��
Ok but if you have an easier time in a smaller city than perhaps that is where one needs to live because it aligns more with their lifestyle/social dynamic that works for them. They feel more comfortable and less anonymous. The problem with larger cities is anonymity. People don't know that you're a friend of a friends son and as such going to come over and introduce themselves to Johnny. You as the individual have to take more initiative. I have friends all over the world and in no city did social interaction just come 'easy' - you have to put some effort into it. I apply the same approach in Toronto and it works well. People respond to eye contact and a smile better than you may think - including in Toronto. I would suggest people having a difficult time to change their approach and do more to break the loop. They probably have allowed negative feedback to alter how they approach everyone new they meet in the city, instead of giving it and the people in it the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok but if you have an easier time in a smaller city than perhaps that is where one needs to live because it aligns more with their lifestyle/social dynamic that works for them. They feel more comfortable and less anonymous. The problem with larger cities is anonymity. People don't know that you're a friend of a friends son and as such going to come over and introduce themselves to Johnny. You as the individual have to take more initiative. I have friends all over the world and in no city did social interaction just come 'easy' - you have to put some effort into it. I apply the same approach in Toronto and it works well. People respond to eye contact and a smile better than you may think - including in Toronto. I would suggest people having a difficult time to change their approach and do more to break the loop. They probably have allowed negative feedback to alter how they approach everyone new they meet in the city, instead of giving it and the people in it the benefit of the doubt.
Some people in this thread also mentioned New York and/or London when making the comparison, so those must be the small cities they needed to go back to in order to make it work !

Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Some people in this thread also mentioned New York and/or London when making the comparison, so those must be the small cities they needed to go back to in order to make it work !
I thought you mentioned small cities so i went with it. If you are using big cities to compare - then yeah, if they are able to successfully manage to socialize in NYC they will be able to successfully socialize in Toronto. I can't imagine the majority of them having problems making friends in Toronto. Those who are big city slickers who would have exclusive problems socializing in Toronto are probably in a very small minority.

As I said though - there is nothing productive that comes out of generalizing a city or all the people in it. Once you do that you're jaded and you won't give the city or its people a fair shake. Besides, if this is your home and you're going to hang your hat here for awhile - why not do your part to make it an easier place to socialize. The city isn't just what long term natives make it - It is what everyone including those who have been here for a short time make it. Otherwise the alternative is to complain about it. That'll go far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto