Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM

295 posts, read 263,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
DEFINITELY ready for the summer!

Yes, I agree, it's not the place, nor the people in it. It takes work and effort to make friends.
Of course, place and people do matter. Seems you never lived outside of North America. You should travel more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Of course, place and people do matter. Seems you never lived outside of North America. You should travel more.
Well I have travelled a lot and no - essentially people are not that different. There are about 16 different personality types and those types are distributed in any society in fairly the same manner. Places well - It is more a lifestyle and culture. It would appear that people in other places 'socialize' more but that could be because they have more time and not as likely to be tied down to a m-f 9-5 job. I've been to poorer countries and there are a lot of people who bide their time 'hanging' out with many people including tourists. Are they more sociable - well sure - free beer and no full time job is always a reason to be more sociable. There are also a lot of working class people who spend all hours of the day working just to feed their family - they may be in a social environment like working at a street stall or restaurant, but they are working not 'socializing'

I also think that families/friends and communities are more integrated in most societies outside N.A. We tend to live in a more individualistic society. That isn't 'Toronto's' fault - it is somewhat a product of its location in the world. When i'm home i'm very busy with work and family commitments. I make time for friends whenever I can but after a grueling day at work - often i'm just going to chill at home. If i'm on vacation or it is the weekend, it is completely a different story.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-11-2018 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice but I've traveled a lot -- 10 countries in Europe and made friends everywhere.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice but I've traveled a lot -- 10 countries in Europe and made friends everywhere.
And regardless of where you go Dawn your personality will attract friends and people to you. The first moment I engaged in discussion with you on this forum that was apparent to me instantly. Your personality oozes through the keystrokes and it is why YOU would be fine in Toronto. I'm not going to dismiss the difficulties some people have - I feel for them and I was once one of them, but if they are negative like this perpetually or eventually turn into a dour, bitter and angry person than it isn't going to bode well for them and blaming a city isn't going to help.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
And regardless of where you go Dawn your personality will attract friends and people to you. The first moment I engaged in discussion with you on this forum that was apparent to me instantly. Your personality oozes through the keystrokes and it is why YOU would be fine in Toronto. I'm not going to dismiss the difficulties some people have - I feel for them and I was once one of them, but if they are negative like this perpetually or eventually turn into a dour, bitter and angry person than it isn't going to bode well for them and blaming a city isn't going to help.
Ditto to you, my friend. XOXO

Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
I've said this before but I'll say it again: You get what you give. Friendliness begets friendliness.
This right here. If you're a friendly, happy, person, you will make friends. If you are a grumpy, unhappy person, you won't. Simple as that. And it holds for any place in the world, I'd suppose.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Basically, all these are probably western countries. I was born in Russia, lived Israel and Thailand, and the norms there are very different from the western countries. People are much more open to socialization and bonding friendships.

Your idea that people absolutely same everywhere (thus totally discarding different cultures and traditions) is because of your experience limited to living in the western world only. This idea is wrong if you apply it outside of the western world.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Basically, all these are probably western countries. I was born in Russia, lived Israel and Thailand, and the norms there are very different from the western countries. People are much more open to socialization and bonding friendships.

Your idea that people absolutely same everywhere (thus totally discarding different cultures and traditions) is because of your experience limited to living in the western world only. This idea is wrong if you apply it outside of the western world.
This is the Canada forum, in reference to Toronto.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
This is the Canada forum, in reference to Toronto.
Yes, but if you say something is difficult, you inevitably comparing it to other places. You say that people are same everywhere and making friends involves a lot of effort. Then I tell you that that is not a world wide case.

You have just proved here that Canada and Toronto are hard places to socialize

Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, but if you say something is difficult, you inevitably comparing it to other places. You say that people are same everywhere and making friends involves a lot of effort. Then I tell you that that is not a world wide case.

You have just proved here that Canada and Toronto are hard places to socialize
No, I said that I've been able to make friends everywhere that I've lived or visited. You brought up different countries and cultures. I still feel like I -- or anyone -- can make friends ANYwhere, provided that they put in the effort and engage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto