Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM

126 posts, read 557,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
I've been in Toronto for the past 5 years and it sucks. It's so funny, downtown Toronto has not changed. It's just as ant-social and unfriendly as ever. Every now and then you'll see a person try to break out of the ant-social culture. But for the most part, all you see are zombies walking around downtown. Seriously go downtown if your a guy and look at the women that pass you. They will either be looking down at the ground, straight ahead and make sure not to look at any guy that she passes (tunnel vision). Or you get girl that pulls out the iphone or smartphone and looks at it as a way to not look at anybody. And the guys have adapted to this and know not to even look at a woman even if to just smile.

I've gotten used to it so much that it's funny. I'm from a very social city big city in the U.S. and me being here for so long i'm just used to nobody talking to anybody out in public unless they are already friends. The only time i've seen possible strangers talk to each other are at dog parks, lol. And even that looks forced and manufactured. Toronto is a boring city, and it's sad. And people always say, wait til summer when people are out and about. I been here for 5 summers, and still see the same anti-social atmosphere. You can't change the culture here in Toronto, it is what it is. If you want better social interactions go somewhere else. Cause if in 5 years since i've been here it hasn't changed, I can't see it all of a sudden one day changing. I've heard people say they've been to certain big cities around the world like London (UK) or Montreal and say those places are social and can meet people on in a spontaneous type way or random places. That means it's ingrained in their social cultures to be that way, can't change culture overnight. Go out in the world and enjoy, the social cities of the world. Don't waste your time in places that don't cater to what you like.
If you are reading this, and want to consider moving to downtown Toronto, listen to Laser99. Everything he said rings true for me.

I would only add that Laser99 is a black man, and that this probably worsens his experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
If you are reading this, and want to consider moving to downtown Toronto, keep in mind that all these people are blaming Toronto and it's citizens for their own social and personal problems.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Yeah, clearly if people are going this far to ignore you, you must be creeping them out or something. And why does it matter if specifically women give tunnel vision? You'd be hardened and not up for any crap if you don't want to put up with creepy dudes and frat boys catcalling you all your adult life.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM

126 posts, read 557,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yeah, clearly if people are going this far to ignore you, you must be creeping them out or something. And why does it matter if specifically women give tunnel vision? You'd be hardened and not up for any crap if you don't want to put up with creepy dudes and frat boys catcalling you all your adult life.
I don't understand this, so please explain it to me. How can we creep a woman out when we have never met, or perhaps even been in the same vicinity? And even if we have, how will she know it is us if she steadfastly refuses to even look at us?

I turn a corner, and suddenly, while x feet away, we notice that we are walking towards each other. She immediately gears up and does the ignoring thing, continuing until we walk pass each other. Where is there even the opportunity to creep her out in that? And that is very much a typical scenario.

I await your answer.

Last edited by Leaving on a Jet Plane; 04-09-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
I don't know, I can't verify how approachable someone looks just from a description. Some people just have the ability to make others uncomfortable far before they even speak to them. Hell, I probably make people uncomfortable from a distance all the time.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM

437 posts, read 547,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Well in the U.S I always see men creeping on girls (way way more than Toronto) and the girls their don't seem that hardened by it so why would they be in Toronto? I've gotten 10 times as many random girls talk to me in the US than in toronto even tho I'm only in the U.S for about 2 weeks a year.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Wow, women don't look at you while walking on the streets... I think that argument relates to your own personal problems rather than blaming Toronto.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10 View Post
wow, women don't look at you while walking on the streets... I think that argument relates to your own personal problems rather than blaming toronto.
I think it is far more rational to conclude it has more to do with the vibe these people give off as opposed to the collective coldness of Torontonians...

Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 AM

47 posts, read 90,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
Well in the U.S I always see men creeping on girls (way way more than Toronto) and the girls their don't seem that hardened by it so why would they be in Toronto? I've gotten 10 times as many random girls talk to me in the US than in toronto even tho I'm only in the U.S for about 2 weeks a year.

Man exactly! American women get approached by guys all the time in random places, and for the most part like it. It gives them a chance to meet a man in a spontaneous way and they are open to it. It's funny, Toronto women act like they are getting hounded by guys, and they aren't, lol. If Toronto women are being hounded by guys, then American women must be getting sexually assaulted, haha.

And i'm not bagging on Canada, it's just Toronto. I've been to other Canadian cities and met girls in Toronto that were from other cities that had not been in the city too long and they were cool as hell. And i'm like wait a minute, how are these girls so social that are from other places. But the girls in and from Toronto are completely opposite? Just makes ya go hmmmm

Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Man exactly! American women get approached by guys all the time in random places, and for the most part like it. It gives them a chance to meet a man in a spontaneous way and they are open to it. It's funny, Toronto women act like they are getting hounded by guys, and they aren't, lol. If Toronto women are being hounded by guys, then American women must be getting sexually assaulted, haha.

And i'm not bagging on Canada, it's just Toronto. I've been to other Canadian cities and met girls in Toronto that were from other cities that had not been in the city too long and they were cool as hell. And i'm like wait a minute, how are these girls so social that are from other places. But the girls in and from Toronto are completely opposite? Just makes ya go hmmmm
Yeah - kind of like what you're saying about people from Toronto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto