Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,802 times

Advertisements

what do you guy think of driving a bike from home to college, all year round.

any suggestions/tips or warning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
really need to specify where home and college are..

Old 09-24-2013, 08:23 PM

my home will be on mossbank drive, will go to centennial college progress campus.

since im new in canada, i dont know on which occasions the bikes will be useful and not useful.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
For about four months, from December to March, the weather and road conditions will make pedaling a bike a chore. due to cold and wind and road surface conditions. Toronto has a lot of winter days where the actual air temperature is around zero Celsius, so the roads can be icy or slushy, and the wind chill, depending on the actual wind speed can be minus 20 C.

When it snows, it can take up to 24 hours for the city snow plows to clear the main roads, and side streets can take up to three days. Even then the lane closest to the sidewalk is where the snow is pushed, by the plow trucks, and navigating the snow piles and puddles is difficult to do. You will be soaked up to your knees at least, and have to change clothes when you get to the school. The street drains are located by the sidewalks and the snow piles cover them, so the water takes days to drain away. If it drops below the freezing point, over night, all of that water turns to ice, and makes riding dangerous, to say the least.

Remember that Canada is a Nordic country, not a tropical one. We get winter weather, EVERY year, and how cold it gets is not under anyone's control.

I would NOT count on riding a pedal bike, in Toronto, in the winter, as my sole means of transportation. That is why we have a transit system.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM

^
alright, in winter seasons, no bike at all..

but other seasons, will it be ok to ride bike from home to college? is there rainy season here?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing1 View Post
^
alright, in winter seasons, no bike at all..

but other seasons, will it be ok to ride bike from home to college? is there rainy season here?
The other seasons should be fine for that, Toronto does not have a rainy season. Rain occurs rarely in inland Toronto compared to in coastal climates, and follows a pattern where it gets hot and humid in the summer and slowly after an extended period of heat and humidity atmospheric conditions build to storm levels and dramatic, relatively brief storms occur that dump alot of rain at once, often with lightening involvement. These are fairly easily predicted and you have alot of warning based on what it starts to look like outside, as well as with weather reports, so you'll know on these relatively few days to bring an umbrella, maybe use the bus, or just try and wait out the storm as they usually last only between 3-7 hours (although sometimes they are longer, especially is they are the remnants of hurricanes hitting further south). Summer has the most storms, spring and fall are fairly dry.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Remember that Canada is a Nordic country, not a tropical one.
Canada is North American country.

Nordic?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 PM

^
yea, i also checked wiki page of nordic countries, canada is not included. nvm. lol, i dont care if this is nordic or nerdy country. lol

-----------------------------------

check out these 2 maps..

1. http://goo.gl/maps/G3o5g

2. http://goo.gl/maps/tLAko

these 2 routes i "maybe" travelling with bike, so all year around, except winter season is fine right??

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
A Nordic country is one that has a cold, snowy, winter.

Canada is just that. Did you notice how well Canadians do in winter sports, at the Olympics ?

Or that we originated ice hockey, as a sport? Or that we invented the snowmobile, the railway snow plow, and the snow blower ?

Other Nordic countries are Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Russia. None of them are tropical countries, wouldn't you agree ?

Look........ I have lived in Canada all my life, so I do know what I am talking about, when it comes to weather here.

The fact that you asked about "the rainy season ' tells me that you have little idea about the weather conditions in Canada. Its not a tropical climate.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A Nordic country is one that has a cold, snowy, winter.

Canada is just that. Did you notice how well Canadians do in winter sports, at the Olympics ?

Or that we originated ice hockey, as a sport? Or that we invented the snowmobile, the railway snow plow, and the snow blower ?

Other Nordic countries are Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Russia. None of them are tropical countries, wouldn't you agree ?

Look........ I have lived in Canada all my life, so I do know what I am talking about, when it comes to weather here.

The fact that you asked about "the rainy season ' tells me that you have little idea about the weather conditions in Canada. Its not a tropical climate.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Nordic is a geographic designation, not a climatic one. Thanks for the lulz anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto