Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:14 PM

33 posts, read 106,949 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to find out peoples reasons for moving to Toronto.

What do you feel you have achieved by moving to Toronto?
How does your life compare now, to before you moved to Toronto?
Did you move with the intentions of a better life for your offspring?
Did you move because you had a partner that wanted to?
Do you consider yourself a wilderness or city person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Caesar View Post
Ability to pursue more options, both personally and professionally. To be in a major center of financial, cultural, and political activity. But we've had to compromise on housing. The house we sold in Halifax would probably cost well over half a million dollars here, and housing prices are far beyond rational. So it is condo living (leased) for now.

Quote:
I saw Soundgarden in January and Chris Cornell's solo acoustic show at Massey earlier this month. That alone was worth the move. I've been to two Leafs games. I saw the Game of Thrones exhibition last March. Saw Book of Mormon last May. Been to ComiCon and FanExpo. Many other shows, concerts and events.

Have tried many, many different ethnic foods and dishes. Never get tired of just walking around downtown and the many different neighborhoods. Always something going on, always someplace new to explore.

Quote:
Did you move with the intentions of a better life for your offspring?
No kids. It's just the two of us. (We can make it if we try.)

Quote:
My wife was offered a job transfer, so that was the kickstart. But we've had our eye on the city for a while.

Quote:
Mostly city. I enjoy the hustle and bustle and craziness of the city, but once in a while still need to breathe fresh air, get away from all the people, hear nothing but crickets, and see all the stars in the sky.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydenmoorie View Post
The main reasons people are coming their is because this City is a shopping city and also its a world most diverse cities 49% of Toronto's population was born outside Canada and the another reason is This city is made for cyclists. Generally speaking you can cross the entire city by bike unscathed.
speak for yourself, not "people".

Toronto is a shopping city?? You've got to be kidding. The shopping scene in Toronto is mediocre at best. In terms of department stores, we have the Bay, the horrible Sears and, well nothing. High end stores, there is Holts, and nothing else. Yorkville is pretty small and Queen W is just so so if you can bear the horrendous buildings.

The entire city is bikable? LMAO. Do people bike in Scarborough, or Finch/Dufferine, or even Bathurst and St Clair? I hardly ever seen any. Toronto is pretty much a car dependent city unless you live right in downtown or within walking distance to one of the stations along our two subway lines.

And nobody moves to a city because it has 49% born outside the country population.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM

For me personally, there are the reasons (I have mentioned a couple of times)

1) Easier and less hectic life. I find the pace in Toronto pretty slow. People are not working like crazy to make money, which I like.
2) Relatively affordable compared with other major cities in the world, especially housing.
3) It has a compact, safe and car-independent downtown, which makes life so much better than having to drive on a daily basis. If I had to live in the horrible suburbs, I wouldn't live in Toronto at all.

I am an urban person, but I didn't move here for the urbanity - there is some, but far from enough. Too many pure residential suburbs all round the city.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
You'd think somebody forced botticelli to come here at gunpoint.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM

230 posts, read 535,693 times
Moved away recently, but I thought I'd throw in my perspective.

Quote:
Not much. I advanced my career, slightly.

Quote:
For the most part, I did not enjoy my life in the Toronto area. I preferred my life before I moved there. By far.

Quote:
Did you move with the intentions of a better life for your offspring??
No. By moving away I feel I've done the right thing for my children.[/quote]

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Wilderness, for sure.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You'd think somebody forced botticelli to come here at gunpoint.
why? Didn't say nice things about Toronto in the previous post?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Okay, sorry. Knifepoint?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
@ Stoke. HAAHAAHHA

I have to agree. Hate it that much Botticelli, just leave already. Life's too short, no?

For me, born into a suburban wasteland (Markham in the 1970s), Toronto is just an amazing place for me to live. Close to visit my suburban dwelling friends, while enjoying restaurants, art shows, musicals (Evil Dead!), my son has an excellent school, big parks in walking distance + nice bars in walking distance, trees in my backyard, fantastic jobs in marketing and finance, what's not to love. Well - traffic can be annoying, but I have to tell you - I'd rather drive in Toronto than Markham (yeah, I'm looking at you, intersection of McCowan and Hwy 7, you're death).

Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 PM

33 posts, read 106,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Ability to pursue more options, both personally and professionally. To be in a major center of financial, cultural, and political activity. But we've had to compromise on housing. The house we sold in Halifax would probably cost well over half a million dollars here, and housing prices are far beyond rational. So it is condo living (leased) for now.

I saw Soundgarden in January and Chris Cornell's solo acoustic show at Massey earlier this month. That alone was worth the move. I've been to two Leafs games. I saw the Game of Thrones exhibition last March. Saw Book of Mormon last May. Been to ComiCon and FanExpo. Many other shows, concerts and events.

Have tried many, many different ethnic foods and dishes. Never get tired of just walking around downtown and the many different neighborhoods. Always something going on, always someplace new to explore.

No kids. It's just the two of us. (We can make it if we try.)

My wife was offered a job transfer, so that was the kickstart. But we've had our eye on the city for a while.

Mostly city. I enjoy the hustle and bustle and craziness of the city, but once in a while still need to breathe fresh air, get away from all the people, hear nothing but crickets, and see all the stars in the sky.
Great response! ps: I'm a major Soundgarden fan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto