U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 AM

28 posts, read 33,250 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of visiting toronto for a few days in Jan 2-4 from the US. I would be coming into the Toronto union station. I would like to see the CN tower, the underground mall, and take a bus tour of the city these are located near union station right? can I use US dollars or should I get canadian dollars before I come. I will be using public transportation
Are there any cheap hotels in that area also.

any tips or advise would be great thanks.
Ron
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 PM

218 posts, read 347,481 times
You can use US dollars at a few places, but you'll probably have to convert some at any currency exchange place; alternatively, credit cards will work just fine. As for the "underground mall"; it's called PATH, and you can download a PDF map to look at before you arrive here: PATH - Toronto's Downtown Underground Pedestrian Walkway - Getting Here & Around - Visitor Information Services | City of Toronto. Word of warning: PATH is *very* big, and will definitely be confusing to someone who isn't familiar with it. I still get lost occasionally when exploring new areas. They're working on a scheme to make it more user friendly, but that won't be done for a few years. The PATH network links directly to Union Station (check the map in the link). Public transportation will either require you to use "tokens" or the new PRESTO cards. You can purchase those at Union station; beware that Union Station is undergoing major renovations, so there's a lot of construction in the area. There are a few "cheap" hotels that aren't too far from the Financial District; I suggest searching Exoedia and other travel websites. I'm not too sure about the bus tours, but I hope this information helps you. Enjoy your trip.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:23 AM

28 posts, read 33,250 times
Thank you very much for the info. I was was able to find the bus tour. about a block away from union station.
they have 2 tours a day 11:08 and 1:08 for 2hrs hop on / off.
thank you
Ron

Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM

You're welcome. Also, I forgot to mention that the CN Tower is indeed located very close to Union Station, as is the new Aquarium; you'll likely be shown both on the bus tour. If you're a hockey fan, I recommend the Hockey Hall of Fame, and if you're an arts fan, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), and Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) are also close. There's also the St. Lawrence Market (which was rated #1 food market in the world by NatGeo), Yonge-Dundas Square, Eaton Centre, Nathan Phillips Square, and Chinatown (Spadina; a little further out, but accessible by street car or about 15-20min walk from Union). Those are all close to subway stations, and are in the downtown core. If you would like to venture outside the core, there are a few other places to see, such as Danforth St. (Greektown).

Those are just some ideas, but you'll probably find more things that interest you by downloading the "See Toronto" (official tourism app), or the Tripadvisor Toronto app. The best time to visit the city is definitely in the summer, which is when most of the major events are (Toronto International Film Festival, Caribana, etc.), but you can find many indoor activities through those apps or online.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 AM

^ One King West is beautiful, but is certainly *not* cheap! (unless you can find a good deal on Expedia, etc.). I remember a friend staying there for a few days, and it is absolutely gorgeous. OP, if you don't end up staying there, I highly recommend going to the restaurant @ One King West (accessible from the PATH network); it is located in a former bank vault with a massive circular metal door.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,982,567 times
Motel 6 on Spadina is very reasonable and it's like a side trip to China also!!! LOL

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM

2,847 posts, read 4,097,471 times
OP If you have a US debit or credit card, that works on VISA or MasterCard systems, you can get Canadian cash at any ATM in Toronto. I strongly suggest having some Canadian cash, for small purchases.

The bus tour takes credit or debit cards, for payment, using a sat connected point of sale machine.

If it is the one that I used to work for, listen closely to the narration, and get a lot of "Toronto information " from the guide. Toronto is a massive city, about 250 square miles, within the city limits, so you will NOT be seeing very much of it, in two days, with out driving a car.

Having said that, the downtown core is somewhat compact, and walking around is encouraged, and the PATH underground is a good way to go "inside and get warm " while continuing to walk. Hundreds of thousands of day time commuters use it, to get from Union Station's commuter train terminal, to their tower building offices, via PATH. The Toronto Transit Commission's subway system will be a eye opening experience, for a American. Safe, clean and no graffiti. A all day TTC pass is about $8, and good for 24 hours of use. We also have streetcars, unlike most US cities, we didn't get rid of them in the 50's.

TTC system map.

https://www.ttc.ca/Routes/General_In...aps/System.jsp

Toronto at night. Young Street is the main street, and it is busy with people walking around until the middle of the night. Bars close at 2 pm, last call at 1;30. Most bars will "call you a cab " with a cab at the door within 5 minutes, to get back to your hotel. Taxis take cash or credit cards, tip 15 percent of the fare on the meter. As you walk around, LOOK at the faces you are passing. Toronto has a huge Immigrant population, and about fifty percent of the people living here now, were BORN in another country, but make Toronto to their home now. We speak about 130 languages here, but obviously English is the working language. At your hotel, take a look at the cable TV listings, for networks in various languages, from around the world. Then think about your home in the USA ? Toronto has four daily newspapers, in English, and 13 in other dailies in other languages. And dozens of weeklies in other languages. The Toronto Police Service has officers that speak over 100 languages, among their 5500 uniform constables.

Enjoy your visit, and tell your friends about our city, please.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
and tell your friends about our city, please.
That sounds really desperate

Old 12-15-2013, 08:44 AM

2,847 posts, read 4,097,471 times
Not desperate, at all.

I was simply using a slogan that the City of Toronto Tourist Board has used for a number of years. Word of mouth recommendations , by people who have been to Toronto, telling their friends about our city, is a proven way to increase tourist visits.

It's a variation on the " Y 'all come back and see us sometime " line that Americans some times use.

Jim b.

Toronto.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM

578 posts, read 2,505,060 times
vrbo.com has some great places. I doubt I'll ever stay in another hotel. I've been to Toronto twice and stayed in King West both times and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto