U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 168,811 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this is my first winter here in Toronto and also the first "real" winter that ive been through once in my country it is much hotter than here. So, everything is pretty new for me and this weekend it started snowing and it is the first time since i arrived here that there is a lot of snow on the ground. I think now i need to get a boots once my shoes are getting wet when I walk on the streets. But the thing is: what kind of boot do I have to buy? Is it necessary for me to have one that goes up almost to the knee like a jackboot or it is ok if a get one of those Timberland like this one?: http://www.calcadofeminino.org/files...llow-boots.jpg

Does it get worse in January/February than how it was yesterday at night or today in the morning? Im kind of lost, i dont know what to look for.. Please help me guys! Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 AM

4,366 posts, read 10,580,850 times
As a former Torontonian, get boots that are waterproof for sure...the height in your link is probably ok for basic walking on streets, maybe not enough if walking in fields etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 AM

758 posts, read 964,328 times
I used to wear army boots with thick socks inside. It worked well for me. Waterproofing quality is definitely a must. I saw many wearing those high-cut soft leather type with fur inside. It looked warm but not sure whether they were waterproof. Last thing you want is to get soaked feet inside your boots, not in Canadian winter anyway. Never mind the style, practicality is the key. It will be ruined in the salted slush anyway. So nothing too expensive.

Last edited by R. Crusoe; 12-16-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 AM

25,722 posts, read 33,919,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element10 View Post
Does it get worse in January/February than how it was yesterday at night or today in the morning?
It won't likely get significantly worse than what you've already seen so far. Chances are it will likely stay generally the same, or it might even be a little bit milder.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 168,811 times
ok guys, thank u, i got it, it has to be waterproof! hahha but what i was most worried is about how long is has to be.. i see people wearing hoots that goes up to the knees. do i have to get one of these or this one in the link is ok? Just for walking in the city but i dont live in downtown

Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 47,716 times
Ideally something longer would be better. You could tuck your pants into them, and you wouldn't have to worry as much about mud or dirty snow dirtying your pants by splashing or just direct contact with what's lying on the ground. This would also be better for deeper snow (pretty much never a problem in the city unless sometimes maybe if you're getting out of a car and have to traverse the gap between your car door and the sidewalk).

I would get something longer, but generally you should be fine as long as they're waterproof. Why do you want these? Girls have many options for attractive longer boots. It doesn't have to be up to your knee. Even just mid calf is good.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:32 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,721,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element10 View Post
Hey guys, this is my first winter here in Toronto and also the first "real" winter that ive been through once in my country it is much hotter than here. So, everything is pretty new for me and this weekend it started snowing and it is the first time since i arrived here that there is a lot of snow on the ground. I think now i need to get a boots once my shoes are getting wet when I walk on the streets. But the thing is: what kind of boot do I have to buy? Is it necessary for me to have one that goes up almost to the knee like a jackboot or it is ok if a get one of those Timberland like this one?: http://www.calcadofeminino.org/files...llow-boots.jpg

Does it get worse in January/February than how it was yesterday at night or today in the morning? Im kind of lost, i dont know what to look for.. Please help me guys! Thanks
I have several pairs of waterproof winter footwear,starting with heavy duty running shoes when sidewalks are dry, then some intermediate boots like the ones in your link however mine dont look like construction boots, then i have a pair of high boots if i have to walk around in deep snow.

General winter walking shoe for dry conditions
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1...Shoes-Size.jpg

Intermediate walking in wet conditions.
http://www.canada.com/life/holiday-g...?size=620x400s

Heavy snow walking.
http://www.brandish.tv/wp-content/up...t-11.44.55.png

Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,948,636 times
I have a whole collection of winter boots that I have bought at yard sales and thrift stores over the years. I must have 15 pairs at least and never paid more than $5 a pair for them. There is no one boot fits all conditions here in southern On. Sometimes we get a long stretch of really cold days and if you are outside for long periods of time your feet freeze if you don't have some well insulated boots. WE get long stretches of wet slushy days and if your boots are not waterproof you have wet feet all day. If you want to attend outdoor events in the winter and stand around outside for hours it completely spoils the fun if your feet are uncomfortable. When I go down to the falls for New Years eve I wear -40 insulated boots and my tootsies are toasty all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto