Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

^ yea, for the OP who probably has visited NYC multiple times, I am sure Chinatown, Kensington Market, Dundas Square, ROM, and AGO will blow him away! Which city doesn't have a Chinatown nowadays?

Toronto is a fine place to live, but hardly an exciting city to visit. We simply have too few attractions. We can't even keep the CN tower in acceptable condition, look at the discolouration on the concrete, it is embarrasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ yea, for the OP who probably has visited NYC multiple times, I am sure Chinatown, Kensington Market, Dundas Square, ROM, and AGO will blow him away! Which city doesn't have a Chinatown nowadays?

Toronto is a fine place to live, but hardly an exciting city to visit. We simply have too few attractions. We can't even keep the CN tower in acceptable condition, look at the discolouration on the concrete, it is embarrasing.
I'm not saying NYC doesn't have better museums - just saying that there are exhibits at the ROM and AGO that the person won't find elsewhere (obviously because they are at those museums exclusively).. Does NYC have the same nabe's and same street scenes as Toronto? No it doesn't - not detracting from NYC just crediting Toronto for what it does have. As for the other places - sure NYC has similar experiences but they are not the exact SAME experiences and are still fun and interesting places to check out whilst here. Times Sq is it better than Dundas Sq - you bet but doesn't mean it isn't different and worth checking out - plus a lot of interesting characters can be found there!

Is his intention to get blown away or to get some information on what he can see and do whilst here? Perhaps he will find something interesting and unique on Queen St West or Kensignton that he couldn't find elsewhere.. are you sure he won't? No you're not! Toronto is simply a different city than NYC - with different sights/sounds and experiences... it doesn't have to be better and it doesn't have to blow someone away to enjoy it - but with an open mind and without your own pessimism may find elements of the place that will blow him away.. Let him be the judge - he's going to be here anyway and probably isn't bringing his ruler!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-31-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM

218 posts, read 509,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"I have a different take on it."

That's the only piece of information needed and should of been stated in the first place. YOUR take. Insulting people by saying they are not in the real world because their take is different does nothing but make you look arrogant. The irony that this is about politeness and friendliness is not lost on me.
No, that's not the only piece of information needed.

I tried to present an objective take, and by that I mean it is based on what "friendly" and "polite" terms mean and observation what people actually do there to each other, what common recognizable patters they expose in behavior as Torontonians, as a group. That would be relevant on this forum for people interested in such kind of information.

What did you do here?

"Oy vey, please ignore everything that troll above ^ just posted. Toronto is a great and friendly city where it's not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else where human beings reside."

You demonized someone and offered and "correct" take instead-- highly subjective and generally irrelevant, not supported by anything except that someone was a "troll" and a bad person, hence you must be right.

I was put off by your approach and simply gave you a taste of your own medicine (a bit).

Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
And you hope to be taken seriously by anyone familiar with the subject?

I think you have no idea what's you're talking about. But it's normal, if you're a Canadian and never actually lived in fully fleshed out and vibrant societies to be able to get an understanding on a visceral level.

Now in the real world Toronto is not "great", not "friendly" and is not a "not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else" kind of a place. Don't mislead the readers!
It's funny that you're criticizing Toronto (and therefore its residents) for being unfriendly while being rather unfriendly yourself in this post and subsequent ones.

I lived in Southern Mexico for over six months back in 2004, and Mexico is supposed to be such a friendly place with such friendly people. But really, it's perception more than anything else. Their variety of "friendliness" is different than ours her in TO. I read the post from a guy on this board who had moved to Rio thinking he would make tons of friends and have a great life, but he was so depressed because people were friendly with him only to a point, and then they wouldn't let the friendship go any further than niceties, pleasantries, smiles and jokes. After a time he realized that no one actually wanted to bring him into their circle or anything despite their initial friendliness. Their friendliness was just as superficial as Toronto's "politeness", just more effusive and gregarious. But there was a line. Same with my experiences in Mexico.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM

218 posts, read 509,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
It's funny that you're criticizing Toronto (and therefore its residents) for being unfriendly while being rather unfriendly yourself in this post and subsequent ones.
Post you quote was a reply to another poster who was extremely brazen and impolite himself without a reason at all, so why you won't quote it here instead?

By your logic seems it would be even more revealing in demonstrating who Toronto supporters are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Oy vey, please ignore everything that troll above ^ just posted. Toronto is a great and friendly city where it's not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else where human beings reside.
Please let me know your take on this display of friendliness from Toronto.

I'd prefer to discuss subjects with posts that contribute bits of information on this forum instead of derailing threads like that poster into bashing others, really couldn't be bothered with people who start things like that.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 AM

231 posts, read 332,971 times
Thought i'd bump this instead of starting a new thread, i'll be in Toronto most likely 2nd week of August for about 5-6 days, i'll mostly be in Europe for 2 months and the trip to Toronto for the most part is to see a couple of relatives i have there, i've realised my trip will coincide with the taste of the danforth festival...im an Australian of Greek heritage so will this festival or the danforth in general during the other days appeal to me or is the Greekness of the area dead and better off heading downtown?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Thought i'd bump this instead of starting a new thread, i'll be in Toronto most likely 2nd week of August for about 5-6 days, i'll mostly be in Europe for 2 months and the trip to Toronto for the most part is to see a couple of relatives i have there, i've realised my trip will coincide with the taste of the danforth festival...im an Australian of Greek heritage so will this festival or the danforth in general during the other days appeal to me or is the Greekness of the area dead and better off heading downtown?
I would say it's worth going to if you have an interest in Greek culture. There is lots of food and music and thousands of people show up if you like crowded, carnival-type events. It's one of the biggest events in the city and should make for a fun afternoon or evening.

In terms of the Danforth generally, it was historically the biggest Greek settlement in the city. Nowadays, there are still tonnes of Greek restaurants but do some research to find the good ones because some of them are not that good. The area continues to promote its Greekness but the truth is that it has gentrified over the past decades to the point where the majority of the residents are not Greek. Doing a quick wiki search on the Danforth says that only 13% of residents (5.7k of 27.4k) are of Greek descent.

Personally, I think going to the Danforth for the Taste of the Danforth Festival is probably enough unless you want to find some Greek food during your trip.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-07-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Authentic Greek or not, I would definitely recommend going to the Taste of Danforth if you are in Toronto when it is going on.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM

231 posts, read 332,971 times
Thanks for the info do any of you eat on the danforth and therefore recommend a place or places for me? Just did some quick research and realised the main strip still has over 30 Greek eateries and even more Greek places along pape avenue, I've come here about 20 yrs ago when I was very young and vaguely remember lots of Greek mom and pop stores and grocery shops...I'm guessing they're all gone or are they just scattered now? 5.7k Greeks in the local area I'd imagine would still be more then enough to keep the areas greekness thriving to a degree, although I like the fact it's blending in with other cultures...how much greek food can one eat lol....will check out the taste..hopefully you can actually walk through the street though crowds look ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
You should bear in mind that the Taste organising committee gets permission from the city to close the street to traffic, for a distance of about 3 miles, so there are no cars or buses allowed. The local cafes bring their tables and chairs out into the street, with umbrellas and sun shades.

As well as traditional Greek food, you will find lots of other choices, such as Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian, Vegetarian, and on and on. Music stages are set up, with alternating bands of all types.

Getting there is easy, by TTC subway , getting off at Broadview , or Pape stations. No admission charge, and prices are low at the various food stands. Its a three day event.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto