Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,353 times

Advertisements

Hello, in March or April I will be visiting Toronto alone on a weekend (from Buffalo).

I will probably meet up with a friend for lunch/dinner and then we will go our seperate ways.

What are some fun worthwhile things to do by myself. I'm not into clubs/bars, partying or spending a lot of money.

I'm originally from the NYC suburbs so does Toronto have anything NYC doesn't have? Is there anything interesting that you can only find in Toronto?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,986 times
Oy vey, please ignore everything that troll above ^ just posted. Toronto is a great and friendly city where it's not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else where human beings reside.

I suggest a stroll down Queen St. West to Spadina, up Spadina through Chinatown and then venture into nearby Kensington Market.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I'm originally from the NYC suburbs so does Toronto have anything NYC doesn't have? Is there anything interesting that you can only find in Toronto?
That's a tough one. How about the new aquarium in downtown? Does NYC have one? I wasn't aware of one last time I went to NYC. Perhaps it does....

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Toronto may have stuff, but I don't think it has much that NYC doesn't. Toronto is very residential, even in downtown.
but still, spending a day here to walk around is worth it.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
That's a tough one. How about the new aquarium in downtown? Does NYC have one? I wasn't aware of one last time I went to NYC. Perhaps it does....
Bata shoe museum is kind of cool.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM

218 posts, read 510,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto is a great and friendly city where it's not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else where human beings reside.
And you hope to be taken seriously by anyone familiar with the subject?

I think you have no idea what's you're talking about. But it's normal, if you're a Canadian and never actually lived in fully fleshed out and vibrant societies to be able to get an understanding on a visceral level.

Now in the real world Toronto is not "great", not "friendly" and is not a "not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else" kind of a place. Don't mislead the readers!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
And you hope to be taken seriously by anyone familiar with the subject?

I think you have no idea what's you're talking about. But it's normal, if you're a Canadian and never actually lived in fully fleshed out and vibrant societies to be able to get an understanding on a visceral level.

Now in the real world Toronto is not "great", not "friendly" and is not a "not any more difficult to make friends than it is anywhere else" kind of a place. Don't mislead the readers!
I think you're the one who people might not take seriously. Your reality is yours and yours alone. His is his, and mine is mine. So to say that someone, say like me, who does find Toronto friendly ( and yes I have travelled extensively ) or great ( a truly subjective term ) is not in " the real world " is arrogant and quite provincial.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 PM

218 posts, read 510,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think you're the one who people might not take seriously. Your reality is yours and yours alone. His is his, and mine is mine. So to say that someone, say like me, who does find Toronto friendly ( and yes I have traveled extensively ) or great ( a truly subjective term ) is not in " the real world " is arrogant and quite provincial.
I have a different take on it, and I think, more relevant to someone planning to visit place or move there to live and willing to form an accurate opinion based on observations from others, so I'd need to have a common ground, instead of offering highly subjective take.

For example, declaring a population "friendly" implies it exhibiting certain traits and behaviors that should be quite prominent and can be observed. Now lets look at the definitions (defined through characterizing synonyms in this example). Most of these characteristics (cordial, warm, comradely, neighborly, open, unreserved, gregarious, etc.) are certainly not preferred and exhibited by a critical mass of people in communication there to claim friendliness of that place. You'd be generally misleading yourself and others claiming Toronto is a friendly place, it's simply on not a friendly, but rather a polite spectrum.

friendly
1. kind and pleasant.
"they were friendly to me"
synonyms: affable, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, affectionate, demonstrative, convivial, companionable, sociable, gregarious, outgoing, comradely, neighborly, hospitable, approachable, easy to get on with, accessible, communicative, open, unreserved, easygoing, good-natured, kindly, benign, amenable, agreeable, obliging, sympathetic, well-disposed, benevolent;

polite
1. having or showing behavior that is respectful and considerate of other people.
"they thought she was wrong but were too polite to say so"
synonyms: well-mannered, civil, courteous, mannerly, respectful, deferential, well-behaved, well-bred, gentlemanly, ladylike, genteel, gracious, urbane;

Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
I have a different take on it, and I think, more relevant to someone planning to visit place or move there to live and willing to form an accurate opinion based on observations from others, so I'd need to have a common ground, instead of offering highly subjective take.

For example, declaring a population "friendly" implies it exhibiting certain traits and behaviors that should be quite prominent and can be observed. Now lets look at the definitions (defined through characterizing synonyms in this example). Most of these characteristics (cordial, warm, comradely, neighborly, open, unreserved, gregarious, etc.) are certainly not preferred and exhibited by a critical mass of people in communication there to claim friendliness of that place. You'd be generally misleading yourself and others claiming Toronto is a friendly place, it's simply on not a friendly, but rather a polite spectrum.

friendly
1. kind and pleasant.
"they were friendly to me"
synonyms: affable, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, affectionate, demonstrative, convivial, companionable, sociable, gregarious, outgoing, comradely, neighborly, hospitable, approachable, easy to get on with, accessible, communicative, open, unreserved, easygoing, good-natured, kindly, benign, amenable, agreeable, obliging, sympathetic, well-disposed, benevolent;

polite
1. having or showing behavior that is respectful and considerate of other people.
"they thought she was wrong but were too polite to say so"
synonyms: well-mannered, civil, courteous, mannerly, respectful, deferential, well-behaved, well-bred, gentlemanly, ladylike, genteel, gracious, urbane;
"I have a different take on it."

That's the only piece of information needed and should of been stated in the first place. YOUR take. Insulting people by saying they are not in the real world because their take is different does nothing but make you look arrogant. The irony that this is about politeness and friendliness is not lost on me.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Bata shoe museum is kind of cool.
It takes 15 minutes to see, and probably 10% of its collection is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto