Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,669,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For some reason, unfortunately there has been at least a partial drift towards associating blacks in Toronto with the negative stereotypes associated with African-Americans in the U.S. I am sure a big reason for this is the ubiquity and dominance of American popular culture in Canada which has a huge influence on people's social perceptions. Ironically, many Canadians tell me this acculturation has virtually no consequence but this is a prime example of one of the effects.

There are even some black Torontonians (especially youths) who have fallen into this trap as well and who have come to ''relate'' strongly with African-American culture as if it was their own history and heritage, and unfortunately this often includes some of the less pleasant aspects of the culture.

That said, there are strong efforts made in Toronto to avoid these associations but it's a constant struggle I say.
Yes I thought of that. Like the case of Nigerian immigrants to Houston. A lot of them are lumped in with AA's, and many actually resent this fact, since culturally they are so different. A lot of course just end up caving in to the pressure anyway. While there aren't many AA's or even original black Canadians in Toronto, many would begin to associate themselves with AA's. Canada actually has a population of blacks who fled there prior to, during and after the Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,383,218 times
Why do so many black people think everyone that gives you a funny look is racist?
There are about a thousand reasons why i would look at someone funny or keep my distance from someone, i don't care about your race and you aren't special if you are Black White Yellow Brown Purple etc... if i give you a funny look its usually because you look like someone i know, you have a unique sense in fashion, smell or you gave me a funny look first.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,717,413 times
^^^

cute post and I think a lot of people make uninformed assumptions about things based on their own psychological issues, historical baggage and sensitivities. I just don't think we should sweep the issue away from a sociological perspective either and discussing racial issues is always a good thing, especially inequality with respect to pay in the workplace and matters of poverty connected to ethnicity. These are real and not imagined.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,669,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why do so many black people think everyone that gives you a funny look is racist?
There are about a thousand reasons why i would look at someone funny or keep my distance from someone, i don't care about your race and you aren't special if you are Black White Yellow Brown Purple etc... if i give you a funny look its usually because you look like someone i know, you have a unique sense in fashion, smell or you gave me a funny look first.
Sometimes a genuine racist incident in the past can sort of 'traumatise' you, or rather maybe sensitise you/make you wary, so you might always construe something as racial even if it is not. Sort of like the rape victim who becomes uncomfortable with any kind of touch or intimacy.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sometimes a genuine racist incident in the past can sort of 'traumatise' you, or rather maybe sensitise you/make you wary, so you might always construe something as racial even if it is not. Sort of like the rape victim who becomes uncomfortable with any kind of touch or intimacy.
While that it true, there are many people who will use misdirection and look for faults in others rather than having to confront the faults within themselves. Given the OPs statements about his experience with the entire city of Toronto, I think it is safe to say the latter applies in this case.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
pdw

2,598 posts, read 3,018,419 times
I'm sorry, but even as a very proud Canadian, I must admit we are an exceptionally racist country. It's been a problem throughout our history since the very beginning and it doesn't just disappear after a couple of decades.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,077,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I'm sorry, but even as a very proud Canadian, I must admit we are an exceptionally racist country. It's been a problem throughout our history since the very beginning and it doesn't just disappear after a couple of decades.
While that may apply to both you and your social circle, but please leave the rest of us out of it.

The most racist people I encounter are the ones that throw the race card down at the drop of a hat and seem obsessed with finding hidden racists behind every rock, bush and tree. They are just as misguided as the terrorist-obsessed Republicans and 1950's McCartyists. Sadly, all they have accomplished has been to completely disempower the word 'racist' and make the rest of us jaded toward actual cases of discrimination when they happen.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,415,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not sure if I agree with you. I see a lot of mixed couples in Toronto.
Usually black guy, white girl. Very common in Toronto area. Much more rare is, white guy, black girl.
I personally don't think Toronto has a race problem when compared to most cities of a
similar size.
I get that you imply that mixed couples dispel the possibility of racism. Not true. And neither would the repeated claim of diversity, here where I live. Prejudice and even racism can still exist between interracial couples who might live in what is called a 'diverse community' that might still include segregated neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
OMG... Does Toronto have a race problem, yes but so does the entire planet...
Racism will always exist as long as there are ignorant people around with supremist egos, who refuse to acknowlege that their assumptions and stereotypes about people who are different, are not only wrong but extremely foolish.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,085,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Find a church, temple, mosque, cultural organizations, and/or ethnic professional organizations and build your social network from there. Always have some sort of base to build your network whether it's religious or ethnic because without one you are more or less leaving yourself to mercy of the majority society. I spent the first 25 years of my life waddling around and trying to "go American" but after looking around at my cousins who didn't do the same but were all successful, married, and had tons of friends, I came to the conclusion that I made a mistake and "went Indian/Hindu."

Finally, as a minority you probably should've figured out that you are going to encounter some degree of racism from the majority society and heck even other minorities wherever you go. It's just a simple fact of life.
^ This response is largely to the OP, I'm only quoting you here because I largely agree with what you wrote just from a different perspective.

It's interesting and kind of frustrating that people always chalk up these experiences to race . . . or why people think that when they move to a new city as an adult (or move to a new country) that any adult thinks for a second that their new, probably highly transient neighborhood and workplace will roll out the welcome wagon for them and that they'll aways have invites to parties and other social events.

It's preposterous.

I grew up in NJ. Spent a few years there as an adult. I still have family there, still keep in touch with a few people but for the most part my good friends from high school are scattered around the country. If I ever went back there I would still have a base but in a lot of ways it would be like starting over to rebuild some of the relationships I had with people I haven't seen much of in 10 years and even then there's no guarantee that anyone outside of my family would even have time for me.

When I was in the army I always had people to hang out with - because everyone is away from home and in the same boat. I keep in touch with 3 of the guys (out of dozens) I used to hang out with regularly as it became clear pretty quickly that a lot of the people you hang out with you really don't have much in common with outside of being in the same unit. That's not the same as a workplace where probably 70% of the people you work with are from that city and/or already have a social network outside of work so don't have any need to hang out with people they don't have much in common with.

For the decade+ that I lived in Philly I made fast friends but that's because I went to college there and was young and had a lot of leisure time to bond with people. When I started working full time I made some good friends at work. Mostly that had to do with us being the same age, being really into our work (and really into drinking after work) and living in the same neighborhood. The people who lived in the suburbs hardly ever hang out and none of them are people I keep in touch with.

I often heard from a lot of people who moved to Philly (and to NJ) from other parts of the country, especially those with children, that it was hard to make friends there. I agree with that. They chalked it up to Philadelphians being an unfriendly bunch. I don't agree with that. People there don't move around much, they have large, extended families, friends from high school, university, etc - they have large social/family networks and probably a full social calendar and probably aren't looking to add people to it. It's not that they're unfriendly and/or racist they're just busy.

As an American living in Australia it's been incredibly difficult to make connections, especially with other families. I'm older, people here are much less open than what I'm used to, have much different social lives than what I'm used to, and from what I've learned is much the same as Philly with sedentary families and networks made up of mates from high school, uni, etc. I'm not gonna blame it on people here being unfriendly or that they're anti-american because it's silly and it wouldn't be true.

English speaking Canada is not that different culturally than the northern tier of the US. Australia is only slightly more removed. I do have some american friends here and yes, it's much easier to relate on many levels, but as limited as my social circle here is americans are not at the core of it and they're not going to be. I don't really see the point of moving somewhere and insisting that people be friendly on your terms or show culturally unusual levels of hospitality because it's convenient for you. People have their own lives and their own plans and they probably don't include you. Especially in big cities faces in the crowd are just noise that you try to block out.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 PM
pdw

2,598 posts, read 3,018,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
While that may apply to both you and your social circle, but please leave the rest of us out of it.

The most racist people I encounter are the ones that throw the race card down at the drop of a hat and seem obsessed with finding hidden racists behind every rock, bush and tree. They are just as misguided as the terrorist-obsessed Republicans and 1950's McCartyists. Sadly, all they have accomplished has been to completely disempower the word 'racist' and make the rest of us jaded toward actual cases of discrimination when they happen.
Why are you accusing me of being racist just because you disagree with my opinion? I have never said anything on these forums that should cause one to draw that conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto