U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM

55 posts, read 62,435 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm visiting Toronto for a weekend in February and St. Catharines for a day on the return trip home to Pittsburgh. This will be my first time to both cities. I was wondering if a few kind people on this forum could post a few suggestions on some areas to focus on due to my limited time in both cities. I'm not looking for a night club or party scene, I'm looking for impressive shopping/eating/landmark areas that are aesthetically pleasing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM

I have read the forum, I have done searches, I plan on doing more reading in the coming weeks...

I had no idea there were over 1,000,000 discussions on one-day shopping/eating/landmark suggestions in St. Catharines.

Thank you.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,458,552 times
Niagara on the Lake

It's near St. Catherines, and IMO worth checking out.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM

I didn't even know about that place, exactly what I was looking for, and it is on the way... many thanks!

I will probably just drive through St. Catharines and spend the day at NOTL.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 PM

1,792 posts, read 1,945,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenerationPGH View Post
I didn't even know about that place, exactly what I was looking for, and it is on the way... many thanks!

I will probably just drive through St. Catharines and spend the day at NOTL.
Spot on. Much more to see and do in NOTL and you won't find a more beautiful place in the area.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM

25,931 posts, read 34,663,800 times
You should also see the falls themselves if you have never seen them.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,972,713 times
Make sure you hit some of the wineries around NOTL, they are impressive for tastings.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I have my plans for NOTL complete, but I am struggling a bit with choosing an affordable hotel in Downtown Toronto.

We are arriving in Toronto on a Friday, going to the ROM on Friday, then doing the walking/shopping on Saturday through Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, Yonge St, and all the other areas suggested by previous posts on the forum.

I was originally going to stay at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, because it is across the street from the ROM and would be very convenient, but the reviews were less than favorable. My second choice was the Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville, which is still on Bloor St, but a ways away from the museum and the other sites.

After looking at Expedia for 2 hours, now I'm feeling a little dizzy and overwhelmed... any suggestions?

Last edited by 4thGenerationPGH; 01-29-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM

13,704 posts, read 14,002,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenerationPGH View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I have my plans for NOTL complete, but I am struggling a bit with choosing an affordable hotel in Downtown Toronto.

We are arriving in Toronto on a Friday, going to the ROM on Friday, then doing the walking/shopping on Saturday through Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, Yonge St, and all the other areas suggested by previous posts on the forum.

I was originally going to stay at the InterContinental Toronto Yorkville, because it is across the street from the ROM and would be very convenient, but the reviews were less than favorable. My second choice was the Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville, which is still on Bloor St, but a ways away from the museum and the other sites.

After looking at Expedia for 2 hours, now I'm feeling a little dizzy and overwhelmed... any suggestions?
Hey there,

Did you try booking.com - I prefer it to expedia, seems to be more selection. Since you are only staying in Toronto a short time Airbnb might not be a great option but worth a shot - some people will rent out their place for two days. As for location to the ROM - I wouldn't worry too much about that, if you get a hotel in the DT core you'll never be too far away from the subway which has a direct connection to the stop Museum which puts you right at the ROM.. you'll also be close to the 'mink mile' which at Bloor/Yorkville. There are also some neat Museums close to the ROM. Hey if you like Aquariums you can check out the new Ripley's Aquarium at the base of the CN Tower along with a visit to the tower itself.. kinda pricy but if the weather holds up it really is a spectacular view of the city and just neat to go up so high! If you can make it to Queen St West and the St Lawrence/Kensington Markets especially the latter I would make every attempt while here... To be honest a short weekend isn't enough for Toronto - it is easily a 3 day trip PLUS NOTL and Niagara Falls... curious what is the appeal of St Catherine's - nothing against it personally but with a short itinerary Toronto you should not cut corners with T.O

Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM

13,704 posts, read 14,002,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaheenJan View Post
U should check out the forum since we have had this discussion millions of times.
Maybe he was looking for up to date information... Anyway since he's visiting the city and supporting the local economy at the very least I think we could offer a bit of friendliness??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto