Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Toronto as you eloquently stated above has alot of great bits and pieces and I personally enjoy much of what it has to offer, especially as a visitor, but do not let it off the hook by not comparing it to what the best of the world has to offer.
I don't disagree with your post.. I will say that Toronto hasn't been established as a 'mega city' for as long as other typical mega cities so I do think (without letting it off the hook) that it will take some time to embrace its more recent ascension versus other cities with the same prominence but have been 'important' for far longer. Historically, Montreal has been a more important city in Canada than Toronto so there are still aspects of that that we need to shake off so to speak - the historically second city syndrome in a historically smaller populated country.. Its been happening for the last few decades and I think you will see in the coming decade or two it'll reach the point where those who visit it won't need to differentiate or compare its vibe to other places...

Even now, few cities outside of Spain would celebrate a world cup win with such a 'vibe' - certainly not in Canada and even in the U.S - i'd be hard-pressed to find a similar example of a celebration on the streets to a World Cup win by a foreign country. To me, video's like this definitely add to our International flair and I like that. I like that we as a city can celebrate global successes on the street and en masse like this.

Spain wins World Cup 2010. Crazy celebration in Toronto España

Last edited by fusion2; 02-18-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't disagree with your post.. I will say that Toronto hasn't been established as a 'mega city' for as long as other typical mega cities so I do think (without letting it off the hook) that it will take some time to embrace its more recent ascension versus other cities with the same prominence but have been 'important' for far longer. Historically, Montreal has been a more important city in Canada than Toronto so there are still aspects of that that we need to shake off so to speak - the historically second city syndrome in a historically smaller populated country.. Its been happening for the last few decades and I think you will see in the coming decade or two it'll reach the point where those who visit it won't need to differentiate or compare its vibe to other places...

Even now, few cities outside of Spain would celebrate a world cup win with such a 'vibe' - certainly not in Canada and even in the U.S - i'd be hard-pressed to find a similar example of a celebration on the streets to a World Cup win by a foreign country. To me, video's like this definitely add to our International flair and I like that. I like that we as a city can celebrate global successes on the street and en masse like this.

Spain wins World Cup 2010. Crazy celebration in Toronto España
Ah, now you're talking my language with the Football! That celebration was a good one that is for sure. I think you would be surprised at how big the celebrations got in most cities as Spain rivals Brazil for the most bandwagon fans around the globe

Either way, the Toronto one was definitely one of the better ones!

Old 05-19-2019, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,540 times
Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America. It’s a financial, entertainment, technological, and cultural hub. Dude posting about Toronto is from boring Australia. I would say nyc & Toronto are similar in terms of multiculturalism , sports, young populations. It’s also really good cities to work in if you are in careers in finances or performing arts, film production etc. NYC has more night life-but again it depends what you are into. Weed is legal in Canada so don’t be surprised lol.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
As a long-time lover of NYC and life-long resident of Toronto and its suburbs, I could go on for pages about the similarities and differences I've noticed between the two cities.

Many posters have already made some great points, so I'll be brief.

I believe that Toronto and New York are more different than they are the same. They are broadly similar in that they are the alpha city for their respective country, which makes them both a center of finance, arts and culture, innovation and fashion, entertainment and dining, transportation and media, etc.

However, New York is older and came of age during a different era. It was built to be an alpha city where even the suburbs (the boroughs) are denser than most cities. For much of its history, it was the city it was built to be. Then in the mid-sixties things began to change. First gradually, then all at once, New York hit rock-bottom. It is hard to imagine now that forty-five years ago many thought New York was a failed city where blight and crime dominated headlines. Depopulation was a serious issue, with many New Yorkers decamping to the suburbs. So many parts of the city had become derelict no-go areas that it was nearly impossible for average people to go about their day unaffected by the city's problems. The subway system was a horror-show of dysfunction, where the crime rate was astronomical and robbery a part of life.

In the Eighties, crack hit, and by the early 90's New York was posting homicide numbers well over 2000 per year. Then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the seemingly intractable problems New York faced began to get solved. The story of its fall and rebirth are beyond the scope of this post, but my point is that the New York we all know and (mostly) love is a city that did not exist when most of us were children. That New York was a scary place in steep decline, where Times Square — the Crossroads of the World — was home to wealthy tourists, theatergoers, AND thousands of prostitutes, pimps, hustlers, drug dealers, addicts, pickpotckets, stick-up crews, and more adult bookstores, peep shows, strip clubs, and burlesque shows than perhaps anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.

New York has a long history and a very recent rebirth that makes it one-of-a-kind in every way. Its density and unique streetscape, 24-hour feel, sky-high rents, and some of the most concentrated pockets of wealth and poverty in the developed world make it a city of extremes. It is a city like no other, and very few can claim a spot in its orbit. London, Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, the DF, Hong Kong...only these and perhaps one or two more can compete with New York as a gold standard of all things urban.

Toronto, on the other hand, is not at this level. It is an amazing city that rewards those who get out of the CBD and explore its many neighbourhoods, which are like little cities unto themselves. Toronto does not have a Manhattan. It's downtown is busy, bustling, and energetic, but anyone who really knows this city will tell you you have to get out of the downtown to really see Toronto.

In Manhattan, just about everywhere you go somehow embodies all that is great and interesting about New York. Toronto is more like the boroughs, which reward a careful examination, and gradually reveal a patchwork of distinct and amazing neighbourhoods that together create something magical and amazing. And just like Canarsie is a world away from Bedford Stuyvesant, Parkdale is a world away from Bloor West Village, which a world away from Tehranto, which is a world away from Riverdale, which are all a world away from Rosedale or Forest Hill.

So, in my opinion, Toronto is similar to NYC in a very broad sense. They are both busy urban centers; thriving cities with a lot to offer. Multicultural hubs that attract peoplle from all over the world. But Toronto doesn't have an NYC vibe. It's its own city with its own vibe. A lot of people don't get Toronto because they expect it to be something it's not. Like I said before, it takes time to get to know it and come to love it. Sometimes the strongest loves are the ones that develop over time.

One thing I love about Toronto is its multiculturalism. And I don't mean that it has lots of cultures. I mean that everyone is integrated, living together in the same neighbourhoods, apartment buildings, streets, etc. While it does have a few neighbourhoods that have a predominant ethnic group, there is nothing like Harlem or Bed Stuy or the South Bronx in Toronto. No matter what neighbourhood you go to, you will never feel out-of-place because of your ethnicity or skin colour. That is one thing I love about this city.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:14 PM

669 posts, read 320,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrRidge1 View Post
Eh, Toronto is definitely smaller than NYC, LA, Chicago and Mexico City. That would make it 5th.

It's probably smaller than Dallas, DC, and SF, but that depends on how you define metro. It's pretty similar in size to Philly, Boston, Houston, Atlanta. Probably safest to call Toronto a top 10 North American metro.
According to world population review, Boston has a density of 5,344/square kilometer. Toronto has a density of 8,210/square kilometer. Pretty big discrepancy. Have you been to Toronto? Seems like you're just making things up or mis-reading the 'parameters' often used.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,199 times
[quote=johnathanc;33319878]Having lived in both cities, I can tell you they don't have the same vibe for the following reasons:

-NYC is just way bigger and has more 'stuff'. NYC is the type of city where its impossible to do and see everything. They have the best restaurants, bars, art museums, architecture, theatres, parks, events, etc. Toronto has done a good job of having a little of everything but NYC just has too much of everything. Compare the Met to the ROM and you will see a massive difference for eg.

-NYC is a world center of arts, culture, food, fashion, media, business, etc. The best of the best in the world live there. You have to live in NYC and go to parties and meet people to understand this. Lots of very successful Canadians live there too btw. But attracting such a worldly collection of smart, ambitious, accomplished, innovative population is what gives NYC that vibe that's hard to replicate. People are there for a purpose and have a dream, not to forgot the rich and famous who flock there. Toronto is more a regional city in comparison that attracts the best of the best from its region but not the world. Very few cities do.

-NYC is much more dynamic and ever changing. It sets trends and other cities follow years later when it's no longer cool. I would not describe Toronto as very trendsetting in comparison. NYC is also very nightlife driven. People go out all the time and you can feel the energy on the streets. I barely had a functional kitchen when I lived there because people are always out, eating, drinking, networking, social events, etc. I remember going to lounges on a Tues night and it was packed or routinely sitting down for dinner past 10pm in popular restaurants. Work hard, Play hard is taken to another level. Toronto has some good nightlife too but doesn't have that 24-7 energy. No one really compares on this continent.

I think its a bit unfair to compare Toronto to New York in this regard because you are setting up Toronto to fail. Very few cities have a NYC vibe. London for sure. Perhaps HK or Tokyo in Asia. Paris perhaps. I find SF has a touch of it, not in the energy department, but in terms of attracting talent. Living in Toronto will be a huge upgrade from Niagara Falls in terms of a city experience. Toronto offers a lot of things to keep one busy in an urban setting (subways, buildings, different cultures, sporting venues, restaurants/bars) and is definitely more comfortable for the average joe. But it is still a very different animal compared
I see where you are coming from but on the flip side of that coin,Toronto is just as multifaceted, cosmopolitan and has a perpetual, fascinating night life,it is overall a cheaper city to reside in, driving is somewhat simpler there if I understand correctly, and the CN tower is like the Empire State Building of Canada.
And in terms of technology, STEM and research, Toronto is on par with London,Zurich and Shanghai but NY may edge it regarding overall size,history,skyscrapers,pop culture ,arts (although Toronto's music and filming scene might be on par, but I could be wrong)
And this may be a smidge off topic but isn't Sydney also very NYC-esque when it boils down to arts,architecture, infrastructure, social,and overall appearance, vibe and style in it's own right?

Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM

32 posts, read 19,507 times
No, I wouldn't say that Toronto has a NYC vibe. The only American city I've visited that kind of reminded me of Toronto was Chicago, but even that had its own distinct feel.

From the sound of it, you'd like to live in a big city with a fast paced lifestyle, which Toronto will absolutely give you. Living in a condo in the downtown core should give you those big city vibes and keep you entertained in between trips to NYC. But having visited NYC, there's nothing like it and I can't think of a single place that replicates the atmosphere.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,063 times
Default It kinda has a NYC Vibe..

I have been to both Toronto and NYC, and in my opinion, Toronto is somewhat like NYC regarding architecture, buildings in Downtown Toronto look very similar to Downtown New York Buildings.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaemontae View Post
There's absolutely no way Toronto has a film or music scene on par with New York City. No way.

And no, Sydney can't compare to NYC in architecture, overall appearance, social life, and the arts, and it has a completely different vibe.
What has Sydney got to do with this thread?

Old 10-27-2020, 01:20 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
What has Sydney got to do with this thread?
Good catch! It doesn't have anything to do with this thread. It appears that someone is messing around and editing and adding to somebody else's post which is being quoted. The quoted post that Dontaemontae is responding to (post #3 originally written by Johnathanc in 2014) has been altered within the quote. It has had additional text (3 new paragraphs) added to the quote that isn't actually in the original post #3 that is being quoted and which doesn't have any mention about Sydney in it at all.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-27-2020 at 01:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto