Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,529 times

Advertisements

I need some advice on travel options... My husband is thinking of attending Humber College either later this fall or next year, but we live in Kitchener. We both currently have full-time jobs here, all our furniture is here, neither of us drive, and we just moved here from Manitoba last October - so the very idea of moving again (even apart from the expense of it) isn't too appealing right now. I was just wondering if there was an easier way... is there any kind of reliable, regular public transit that could get my hubby to Humber from here in under, say, 1.5 hours? Or are we pretty much stuck with either moving or trying to arrange some kind of carpool? Thanks for your help! Just want to know what all our options are.

EDIT: That would be the North campus of Humber, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
Sorry, there's no way your husband can make it to Humber from Kitchener in 1.5 hours with public transit. It took me 1.5 hours to get to Humber from North York and that's within city limits. Google maps is showing about a 3 hour minimum each way.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM

^ Ah - looks like moving would be the only option! Or carpooling, if that could be arranged (probably not very likely).

Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Does it HAVE to be Humber ?

The KW area has community colleges, perhaps enquire from Humber if a college nearer to your home has a comparable course available ? If so the travel will be much shorter, and a refund may be available from Humber for the course costs.

Given the situation that you have mentioned, that daily trip would be a nightmare, both for cost, and actual travel time, especially in winter weather. I have lived here all my life and I wouldn't want to do it, every day.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
You can take one of the two morning GO trains from Kitchener to Bramalea, and then GO Route 35 or the 511 Zum bus to Humber. That is about two hours, not including the time to get to the Kitchener train station. You can get the transit directions on Google Maps.

GO's current schedule means it would have to be a morning trip there and an afternoon trip back.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post
You can take one of the two morning GO trains from Kitchener to Bramalea, and then GO Route 35 or the 511 Zum bus to Humber. That is about two hours, not including the time to get to the Kitchener train station. You can get the transit directions on Google Maps.

GO's current schedule means it would have to be a morning trip there and an afternoon trip back.
Thanks for your help. I was actually looking at some of the schedules a little earlier. What Google Maps was telling me was to take the 25 from Kitchener to Square One Mall in Mississauga. Then the 47 (or 407) towards York University, getting off at Bramalea Station, walking to the Zum station, then taking the 511 Zum bus to Humber College. It's all pretty intense but it *might* be workable, assuming things run on time. Would take about 2.5 hours. I haven't even looked at the cost of fare yet though.

I'll definitely have to think about it...

Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eabie View Post
Thanks for your help. I was actually looking at some of the schedules a little earlier. What Google Maps was telling me was to take the 25 from Kitchener to Square One Mall in Mississauga. Then the 47 (or 407) towards York University, getting off at Bramalea Station, walking to the Zum station, then taking the 511 Zum bus to Humber College. It's all pretty intense but it *might* be workable, assuming things run on time. Would take about 2.5 hours. I haven't even looked at the cost of fare yet though.

I'll definitely have to think about it...
You are right about that being an intense commute and i'll guarantee doing it twice a day is going to get old real quick.I'd look for a college offering a similar course in the Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/Cambridge area. Or perhaps rent a room for weekdays or buy a car and drive or move closer to the college,or discover a car pooling option from Kitchener to the college.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Many people commute to Toronto from Kitchener every day in their cars, your commute would take around an hour and a half in rush hour conditions, why not just use the car?

Last edited by jambo101; 02-19-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Many people commute to Toronto from Kitchener every day in their cars, your commute would take around an hour and a half in rush hour conditions, why not just use the car?
I can't drive. It's okay though, I've been working out a kind of solution with the College. There's a similar online program offered out of an Alberta university and the credits can be transferred to Humber; I'd only need to do the practicum through Humber plus a few extra classes. By that point I might actually have my license, since I'll be doing the online program part-time, but I won't need to commute every day in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto