U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:56 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,798,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You should spend a summer in New Orleans, Shanghai, Tokyo or Hong Kong, then come back here and say Toronto's humidity is disgusting and AC is really indispensable.

Listening to people who claim Toronto's summer is so hot and humid is like someone from Manitoba hearing people complaining Seattle's winter being frigid.

"It is not th heat, it is the humidity", "Toronto is experiencing a heatwave hitting 32C three days in a row". The entire world is laughing at such news every summer.
Okay so other places in the world are even more humid and need AC more. How in the world does that mean our summers still can't be disgustingly humid at times?

"It's cold out today!" - "Shut up, it's colder in Barrow!" Who gives a flying ****?

In Shanghai "It's hot today!" - "Shut up, it's hotter in Dasht-e Lut!"

Ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM

9,781 posts, read 17,716,898 times
Average July high in Toronto is probably more like 27C rather than 25C in mid-summer. Humidity is quite high, too, so it can feel pretty muggy, but of course not usually as hot as the South.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 AM

24,335 posts, read 30,580,891 times
I've actually had Africans who live here in my city (similar summers to Toronto) that a hot summer here is more stifling and suffocating than a summer "back home".

Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,163,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've actually had Africans who live here in my city (similar summers to Toronto) that a hot summer here is more stifling and suffocating than a summer "back home".
That wouldn't surprise me if they came from somewhere like Nairobi which isn't even hot at all.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM

24,335 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
That wouldn't surprise me if they came from somewhere like Nairobi which isn't even hot at all.
All of the Africans I know are from various countries in west Africa or from the Congo in central Africa. Places where the average maximum is around 30C.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 PM
BMI

7,473 posts, read 5,532,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All of the Africans I know are from various countries in west Africa or from the Congo in central Africa. Places where the average maximum is around 30C.
There are definitely summer days in southern Ontario and southern Quebec over 30C
and humid that feel like Texas (or the tropics), I've been to Texas in summer and there a few days
every summer that feel like I'm in Dallas or Houston and just as uncomfortable
Sure the average is only about 27C but that's because of "below normal" cool summer days
in low 20s that drag down the average.
I live in Burlington and our average July high is 28C (similar to Windsor),
we average 19.7 days above 30C annually, Windsor 21 days, even Montreal
and Ottawa probably average close to 15 days.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,326,407 times
With the way this winter has been i'm just looking for to anything north of +10C!!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM

332 posts, read 850,875 times
After this winter I am never going to complain about hot summer weather.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,326,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
After this winter I am never going to complain about hot summer weather.
After this winter, I don't even know if we are ever going to have hot summer weather

Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,347,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Okay so other places in the world are even more humid and need AC more. How in the world does that mean our summers still can't be disgustingly humid at times?

"It's cold out today!" - "Shut up, it's colder in Barrow!" Who gives a flying ****?

In Shanghai "It's hot today!" - "Shut up, it's hotter in Dasht-e Lut!"

Ridiculous.
not riduculous at all.

Toronto's summer (hardly any days above 33C) is very mild by world standards. It is not "there are other place that are hotter". I guess in terms of heat, Toronto's summer probably will sit at the 25 percentile, which means 75% of wold population have hotter summers.

It is completely different from your Barrow or Da****-whatever example.

By the way, Barrow, AK right now is -16C, while Toronto is -19C. Not a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto