U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,334,376 times
Reputation: 3942

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Just spent two weeks in Shanghai, where the high was about 24-28C, with occasional 30+, in mid May. I found it rather comfortable.

I told my parents and friends, this is typical of Toronto July/August weather. I heard last Friday part of the GTA had frost warning.

Think a few days 32C with 40 humidex is hot? Try 40 days of 35-40C without the humidex a year, LOL. Torontonians complaining about "heatwaves" reminds me of Taiwanese friends whining about the weather being so cold in January in Los Angeles that they needed to put on a sweater at night.
Nobody is complaining about the weather - some people are making the accusation that 'Torontonians' are complaining about the weather.. Is it your observation that 'Torontonians' complain about the weather in the summer in Toronto' - like what is the beef here? Everyone I know is elated that better weather has arrived... With that said - the forecast for Toronto this week isn't exactly cold.... Whether one calls it comfortable or moderate depending on their scale of what is hot its hard to say its cold unless you're from Venus maybe.

Same thing with July and August in Toronto - is it breaking global records for being hot - no but it certainly isn't cold and there are places that are colder than Toronto in July and August even places that aren't linked to poles or Siberia

Think of it this way though, for some July and August are indeed hot in Toronto as it would be very hot for them in places like Thailand for example.. Heat is always a relative thing to the person.. Perhaps for these people somewhere like S.F's weather would be more to their liking.

Welcome back and hope you enjoyed your time away from Pluto lol...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-25-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,355,968 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Think of it this way though, for some July and August are indeed hot in Toronto as it would be very hot for them in places like Thailand for example.. Heat is always a relative thing to the person.. Perhaps for these people somewhere like S.F's weather would be more to their liking.
The fact is very few people live in places where summers are considerable cooler/more comfortable than what we have in Toronto. Nordic countries? Sorry, total population is like 26 million, smaller than the city of Tokyo and similar to Shanghai's population. I don't take it seriously.

I do hear people talking about their 31C heat waves in Toronto, or "it is the humidity" complaint. I need to turn on the AC for about 5 days a year, and if that's considered a hot summer, then I honestly have nothing to say It would be precisely like those Taiwanese talking about Los Angeles being too cold in January or Quebecers protesting against their 3000$ a year college tuition. Of course weather is subjective but that's beyond ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,334,376 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The fact is very few people live in places where summers are considerable cooler/more comfortable than what we have in Toronto. Nordic countries? Sorry, total population is like 26 million, smaller than the city of Tokyo and similar to Shanghai's population. I don't take it seriously.

I do hear people talking about their 31C heat waves in Toronto, or "it is the humidity" complaint. I need to turn on the AC for about 5 days a year, and if that's considered a hot summer, then I honestly have nothing to say It would be precisely like those Taiwanese talking about Los Angeles being too cold in January or Quebecers protesting against their 3000$ a year college tuition. Of course weather is subjective but that's beyond ridiculous.
I still don't know what the beef is lol and I still don't know who is complaining btw... Toronto summers are perfectly acceptable and very nice actually.. There are some days that are humid and sticky and there are probably places in N.A and other parts of the world outside of just Nordic countries where temps are more moderate based not just on latitude but also geographic position.. I have no doubt the majority of the worlds population is 'used' to hotter weather than we are here in Toronto..

I was just talking to a guy in India working for tech support for my router and we were talking about weather and HE was complaining about the incessant heat... He may be 'used' to it but not everyone necessarily loves it day in day out most of the year.. Same thing with a guy I spoke to in Marrakech when I was there in Feb - he complained about the heat in the summer there and how he had to shower multiple times a day - same thing with friends in Havana, partner from Venezuela and so on and so....

To answer the original question are the summers too hot in Toronto - NO but are they agreeable - YES.. Some people will complain but that is because they aren't used to places with incessant heat and humidity degrees beyond what we experience here but needless to say - There are indeed more moderate temp places in the world than just Nordic countries...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-25-2015 at 12:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 PM
 
907 posts, read 917,278 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The fact is very few people live in places where summers are considerable cooler/more comfortable than what we have in Toronto. Nordic countries? Sorry, total population is like 26 million, smaller than the city of Tokyo and similar to Shanghai's population. I don't take it seriously.

I do hear people talking about their 31C heat waves in Toronto, or "it is the humidity" complaint. I need to turn on the AC for about 5 days a year, and if that's considered a hot summer, then I honestly have nothing to say It would be precisely like those Taiwanese talking about Los Angeles being too cold in January or Quebecers protesting against their 3000$ a year college tuition. Of course weather is subjective but that's beyond ridiculous.
What? Most of the major cities in the world have cooler summers than Toronto... London, Paris, Berlin, Sydney. New York and Tokyo have similar weather to Toronto. Toronto is not a cold city in the summer.... And it's not usually 24-28, highs are usually over 26 degrees and many days over 30 degrees. 24 degrees is considered below average. Plus Toronto's high humidity make it feel even hotter.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,355,968 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
What? Most of the major cities in the world have cooler summers than Toronto... London, Paris, Berlin, Sydney. New York and Tokyo have similar weather to Toronto. Toronto is not a cold city in the summer.... And it's not usually 24-28, highs are usually over 26 degrees and many days over 30 degrees. 24 degrees is considered below average. Plus Toronto's high humidity make it feel even hotter.
never said it has cold summers. But summers in Toronto are not hot.

Most major cities? like what? Name any I will counter with 3 that are hotter in the summer.

New York is definitely much warmer. Tokyo is warmer on a different scale (have you been to Tokyo in the summer?). Sydney and Paris are similar.

Far more people live in cities with much warmer/hotter summer than Toronto than those in colder ones, maybe in the proportion of 9-1. Keep in mind the world is far larger than a few North America/West European countries in the high latitude area. Such world view is so small yet surprisingly popular.

The "high humidity" is high only in the eyes of Canadians. It is almost laughable.

One a scale of 1-10 in terms of summer heat, Toronto would probably get a 3 among all cities in the world.

And Toronto doesn't get "many" days over 30. Plenty of historical date to be found.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,334,376 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
never said it has cold summers. But summers in Toronto are not hot.

Most major cities? like what? Name any I will counter with 3 that are hotter in the summer.

New York is definitely much warmer. Tokyo is warmer on a different scale (have you been to Tokyo in the summer?). Sydney and Paris are similar.

Far more people live in cities with much warmer/hotter summer than Toronto than those in colder ones, maybe in the proportion of 9-1. Keep in mind the world is far larger than a few North America/West European countries in the high latitude area. Such world view is so small yet surprisingly popular.

The "high humidity" is high only in the eyes of Canadians. It is almost laughable.

One a scale of 1-10 in terms of summer heat, Toronto would probably get a 3 among all cities in the world.

And Toronto doesn't get "many" days over 30. Plenty of historical date to be found.
Jeez Botti give it up lol.... If it makes you happy Toronto is cool in the summer so wear a light jacket instead of a t-shirt (even on days with only 'moderate humidity) or go spend most of your time at the Sauna than.. lord have mercy you split hairs too much about this stuff. I think most people anywhere would consider summer in Toronto hot enough.. Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Cubans, Venezuelans, Australians, Americans etc etc..

Like where is all this coming from....

Last edited by fusion2; 05-25-2015 at 01:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 02:14 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,355,968 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Jeez Botti give it up lol.... If it makes you happy Toronto is cool in the summer so wear a light jacket instead of a t-shirt (even on days with only 'moderate humidity) or go spend most of your time at the Sauna than.. lord have mercy you split hairs too much about this stuff. I think most people anywhere would consider summer in Toronto hot enough.. Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Cubans, Venezuelans, Australians, Americans etc etc..

Like where is all this coming from....
Apparently GM10 thinks Toronto has hot summers by international standards.

Even Harbin, China, the northernmost major Chinese city is warmer than Toronto in the summer. The city has one third of the entire Canadian population.

Sapporo has similar summer as Toronto, and it is in the very northern part of Japan, in Hokkaido.

These two countries have the entire 95% of their population in the south that are mostly warmer than Toronto. Not to mention pretty much the entire southeast and South Asia, and the middle east.

Think Berlin and Helsinki make Toronto appear hot? what about the entire Spain, Portugal, Italy, most of France, Greece, Turkey?

It just boggles my mind in some people head, the world is nothing but North America (excluding Mexico however) and a few EU countries, and the rest simply doesn't exist or count. Nordic countries? Who the heck care about those tiny countries with a few million souls? Their combined population is less than many cities elsewhere. These countries could disappear from the earth tomorrow and hardly anyone would notice.

About 90% of the world's population live in places where summers are hotter than Toronto, and some people still claim Toronto has "hot and humid summers". I have trouble coming up with words to describe that kind of stupidity.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 02:20 PM
 
907 posts, read 917,278 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
never said it has cold summers. But summers in Toronto are not hot.

Most major cities? like what? Name any I will counter with 3 that are hotter in the summer.

New York is definitely much warmer. Tokyo is warmer on a different scale (have you been to Tokyo in the summer?). Sydney and Paris are similar.

Far more people live in cities with much warmer/hotter summer than Toronto than those in colder ones, maybe in the proportion of 9-1. Keep in mind the world is far larger than a few North America/West European countries in the high latitude area. Such world view is so small yet surprisingly popular.

The "high humidity" is high only in the eyes of Canadians. It is almost laughable.

One a scale of 1-10 in terms of summer heat, Toronto would probably get a 3 among all cities in the world.

And Toronto doesn't get "many" days over 30. Plenty of historical date to be found.
I already listed some of the biggest and major cities in the world that have a summer colder than Toronto. New York is a couple degrees warmer on average, so what? I don't think most people notice a big difference so they are pretty similar. Florida of course people would notice the difference because it is much warmer and more humid.

30 degrees in Toronto is far from a rare occourance. Toronto some days can get highs over 35. It was 30 degrees in May once when I visited. 30 degrees is common in Toronto in the summer. In Calgary it would be more rare. In London it's considered a heat wave. In Toronto it's no big deal.

I don't know how people can say Toronto is not a hot city in the summer unless they came from the equator. Like the other poster said, it's relative. What's hot to me may not be hot to you. But when I can wear T-shirts and shorts when the sun sets and still be hot, I consider that hot, which is what Toronto is like.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
 
907 posts, read 917,278 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Apparently GM10 thinks Toronto has hot summers by international standards.

Even Harbin, China, the northernmost major Chinese city is warmer than Toronto in the summer. The city has one third of the entire Canadian population.

Sapporo has similar summer as Toronto, and it is in the very northern part of Japan, in Hokkaido.

These two countries have the entire 95% of their population in the south that are mostly warmer than Toronto. Not to mention pretty much the entire southeast and South Asia, and the middle east.

Think Berlin and Helsinki make Toronto appear hot? what about the entire Spain, Portugal, Italy, most of France, Greece, Turkey?

It just boggles my mind in some people head, the world is nothing but North America (excluding Mexico however) and a few EU countries, and the rest simply doesn't exist or count. Nordic countries? Who the heck care about those tiny countries with a few million souls? Their combined population is less than many cities elsewhere. These countries could disappear from the earth tomorrow and hardly anyone would notice.

About 90% of the world's population live in places where summers are hotter than Toronto, and some people still claim Toronto has "hot and humid summers". I have trouble coming up with words to describe that kind of stupidity.
Then go buy a thick Jacket and long pants in July if you don't think it's hot. The rest of us will be tanning in T-Shirts and Shorts
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,893 posts, read 12,334,376 times
Reputation: 3942
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Apparently GM10 thinks Toronto has hot summers by international standards, which is rather stupid.

Even Harbin, China, the northernmost major Chinese city is warmer than Toronto in the summer.

Sapporo has similar summer as Toronto, and it is in the very northern part of Japan, in Hokkaido.

These two countries have the entire 95% of their population in the south that are mostly warmer than Toronto. Not to mention pretty much the entire southeast and South Asia, and the middle east.

Think Berlin and Helsinki make Toronto appear hot? what about the entire Spain, Portugal, Italy, most of France, Greece, Turkey?

It just boggles my mind in some people head, the world is nothing but North America (excluding Mexico and a few EU countries), and the rest simply doesn't exist or count. Nordic countries? Who the heck care about those tiny countries with a few million souls? Their combined population is less than many cities elsewhere. These countries could disappear from the earth tomorrow and hardly anyone would notice.

About 90% of the world's population live in places where summers are hotter than Toronto, and some people still claim Toronto has "hot and humid summers". I have trouble coming up with words to describe that kind of stupidity.
I think we all know that there are plenty of places in the world with hotter summers than Toronto and obviously hotter year round temps.. The question is for many places how much hotter are they than Toronto is in the summer and is there enough of a difference to translate into it feeling that much hotter.. Does it 'feel' that much hotter in London, Paris, Sapporo, Berlin, Tashkent, Tehran, Harbin, NYC, Chicago in the summer vs Toronto which is a relevant question.. Not splitting hairs over a few degrees. I'm sure someone from S.F would characterize Toronto as hotter in the summer and may find it too hot and humid for their liking - does this invalidate how they 'feel'

Why it bothers you that some people feel that Toronto can get hot and humid in the summer is rather strange.. It isn't to say that other places 'aren't' more hot or humid or that most populated places in the world aren't more hot and humid but it doesn't invalid the feeling that some have that Toronto can indeed get hot and humid.. As I've said before, there are many many people within places that truly are hot and humid who feel that the weather isn't exactly comfortable day to day. If they came to Toronto in the summer they may find it more agreeable but they still may feel that indeed Toronto can get hot and humid.. I wouldn't characterize people like this as stupid either... Sheesh so judgemental we are but I digress...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top