U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,163,936 times

Advertisements

I've heard people talk about Toronto summers like they were Atlanta summers but the stats suggest to me on the whole they are very mild and perhaps have at most 2 weeks of intensely muggy heat. The humidity is high but considering many days don't even reach 78F I feel like it wouldn't really be all that noticeable.

As far as temperatures go they seem about the same as Vancouver.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 PM

14,961 posts, read 10,515,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I've heard people talk about Toronto summers like they were Atlanta summers but the stats suggest to me on the whole they are very mild and perhaps have at most 2 weeks of intensely muggy heat. The humidity is high but considering many days don't even reach 78F I feel like it wouldn't really be all that noticeable.

I've never heard anyone say Toronto's summers were like Atlanta's. I'm not even sure people in Canada really even think that much about Atlanta. If someone has said it, they may have just meant that it feels like Atlanta on certain days and not the duration of summer itself.

I have heard people say that Toronto's summers are humid and uncomfortable, but that is in comparison to Vancouver and other places within Canada.

As a Vancouverite I find those muggy days in Toronto a living hell.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:

Toronto is not like Hot-lanta but it is quite a bit warmer than Vancouver in the summer.

Average highs in Vancouver are in the 22-23C range whereas in Toronto you are pushing 28C as an average. Add to that the humidex (Canada's version of the heat index) and a majority of days in Toronto feel like it's over 30C in the summer there. Not the case in Vancouver where humidity is lower and you have moderating ocean breezes.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,163,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto is not like Hot-lanta but it is quite a bit warmer than Vancouver in the summer.

Average highs in Vancouver are in the 22-23C range whereas in Toronto you are pushing 28C as an average. Add to that the humidex (Canada's version of the heat index) and a majority of days in Toronto feel like it's over 30C in the summer there. Not the case in Vancouver where humidity is lower and you have moderating ocean breezes.
Hmmmm, Weatherspark says the average high-low for the middle of summer in Toronto is 65-77F, which is about 18-25C. This means about half of the summer days in TO are gonna be less than 75F - pretty mild if you ask me! For Vancouver you're talking 14-22C and the weather stations are right by the ocean or at the airport. I would imagine that much of the city is a degree C or two warmer.

Vancouver's average high dewpoint in midsummer is 14.5C vs the 18C of Toronto so quite a bit less muggy but not exactly "dry heat" either. You can get pretty high humidexes in the Lower Mainland for sure.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 AM

35,318 posts, read 45,285,497 times
While Torontos average temps are just what you've posted the occasional heatwave can and usually does happenat some point during summer and temps can soar to mid to upper 90s for a few says or a week along with all the humidity.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,580,891 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, Weatherspark says the average high-low for the middle of summer in Toronto is 65-77F, which is about 18-25C. This means about half of the summer days in TO are gonna be less than 75F - pretty mild if you ask me! For Vancouver you're talking 14-22C and the weather stations are right by the ocean or at the airport. I would imagine that much of the city is a degree C or two warmer.

Vancouver's average high dewpoint in midsummer is 14.5C vs the 18C of Toronto so quite a bit less muggy but not exactly "dry heat" either. You can get pretty high humidexes in the Lower Mainland for sure.
Regardless, in almost everyone's experience Toronto is a warmer and even hotter city in the summer than Vancouver is.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,349,070 times
Vancouver pretty much has no real summer, more like late spring when temperature hardly breaks 25C.

Toronto's summer is much real, but also pretty mild compared with the rest of the world. People who talk about the heat and so-called "humidity" are usually from high altitude areas with very cool Vancouver-like summers (and almost always with frigid winters).

In my mind, Toronto's summers are optimal. Hot enough but not excessive. Humidity is completely bearable. I need to have the AC on for the night during sleep for 3 nights a year.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,798,636 times
The humidity is disgusting sometimes. I won't even leave the house some days unless I absolutely have to. It can be like breathing in soup. AC strongly recommended.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,349,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
The humidity is disgusting sometimes. I won't even leave the house some days unless I absolutely have to. It can be like breathing in soup. AC strongly recommended.
You should spend a summer in New Orleans, Shanghai, Tokyo or Hong Kong, then come back here and say Toronto's humidity is disgusting and AC is really indispensable.

Listening to people who claim Toronto's summer is so hot and humid is like someone from Manitoba hearing people complaining Seattle's winter being frigid.

"It is not th heat, it is the humidity", "Toronto is experiencing a heatwave hitting 32C three days in a row". The entire world is laughing at such news every summer.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM

2,705 posts, read 4,049,361 times
You'll have some heat waves with temperatures in the low 30s (around 90F) for a few days, maybe up to a week, and in between that you'll have temperatures in the 20s (70-85F). So you'll get some muggy days, but usually you get relief eventually. This summer we had a stretch of "tropical" weather with temperatures around 30C for a while in mid-July, and nights often staying above 20C, following some fairly warm (mid/high 20s) weather in late June/early July. Then we had a big thunderstorm, temperatures plummeted and stayed pleasantly warm from late July and for most of August and September.

The way I would describe weather here

May: can be highly variable, from chilly to warm, even somewhat hot, but typically only hot for a short time, mostly typical pleasant spring weather, great for hiking, biking, etc, 15-25C weather mostly, can get highs up to 30C but also cool highs of 10C and freezing nights are possible.

June: Generally won't have much chilly weather, mostly pleasant high teens to mid 20s (65-80F) with cool nights. You'd rarely need AC if you open your windows at night. You can get the occasionally 90F heat wave, but typically short lasting.

July: You can get a fair bit of hot and humid high 20s/low 30s, and maybe a couple mid/high 30s days that will be the warmest of the year. It never gets cool during the day, and is always warm. Even nights are often warm or at least mild, so you can go outside pretty much any day any time in shorts and t-shirts. You usually get relief from heat waves eventually with pleasant low to mid 20s weather.

August: Typically won't have intense heat waves like in July. Mostly highs in the 20s, rarely have highs in the 30s for more than a couple consecutive days. Sometimes if you go "up North" to a cottage on lakes in the Muskokas/Kawarthas/Georgian Bay (especially late August) you might get disappointed with several days of low 20s (a bit chilly for the swimming). Nights can be cool, but daily highs will rarely be below 20C.

September can be pretty variable, with short intense heat waves (this September it got up to 34C) but can also get rather cool with highs in the low 10s. Generally good weather for being active though, similar to May with lots of highs in the high teens to low/mid 20s.

It can vary from year to year too. 2008 had a very mild summers while 2005 was much hotter. 2005 had 30 days with highs above 30C from June to August. 2008 had a very mild July never break 30C, only broke the 30C mark once in August, and barely (30.2C), and 4 times in June (early June at that, as if Spring was hotter than Summer..) for a total of only 5 days above 30C.

As for people talking about Toronto's summers by "global standards", compared to Asia and Africa, ok, yes, it's mild, as well as much of the US. Compared to much of Europe and the West Coast it's not that mild at all.

Last edited by memph; 02-21-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto