Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM

175 posts, read 1,591,007 times

Advertisements

if you look closely, I was referring specifically to rapid transit system. And let's just company the cities, not the GXA.
Objectively, a city the size of San Fran should be more comparable to Vancouver, instead of Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyb007 View Post
1) San Fran Bay may have 5 lines but they have 43 stations. TTC has 69 stations.
2) Chicago has more lines and stations but they have 2,222 buses, TTC has almost 1800 (And if serving the GTA that is not including brampton transit, mississauga transit, markham, viva etc.) If you counted those the GTA has well over 3000 buses. The GTA's buses outnumber chicagos. TTC also has almost 250 street cars, chicago does not. This is why it's known that the TTC is the 2nd largest transit system in north america (obviously only trumped by new york) Oh and the CTA serves 40, yes 40 suburbs, which is great! but no doubt they should have more buses, but they dont if we include torontos suburbs.

So the TTC is not 40% of the CTA as you say.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM

122 posts, read 411,419 times
No acullay Toronto got down to ( -27F )
Toronto gets colder temps than Chicago.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM

122 posts, read 411,419 times
Default Corection on Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
but chicagos coldest temps get colder than toronto
they went down to -27 or -26 C toronto only went down to -22
Tornoto Went Down to (-27F) and if you go to the northern suburbs they went down to (-30F).

Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM

604 posts, read 1,837,132 times
you're wrong
First of all, when i listed those temps i was refering to January 2009. http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html (broken link)
You'll see Toronto's coldest temp was -22. Chicago went down to -26 or -27 but i don't know where i can find a list of their temps.

Also toronto's coldest temperature (at pearson which is the most commonly used weather site) was -31.3 (-24.3 F) http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....nselect_e.html (click on pearson)

The coldest temperature chicago has gotten is -33 C or -27 F on January 20, 1985 (at O'hare, their most commonly used weather site)
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=Jan_wx_trivia

Now that I have proven that I am right, we can put this to rest.

Last edited by chicken.or.the.nugget; 04-11-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,950,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAYLORHALSTED View Post
But i still love poor little toronttto.i added the extra t's to agrivate torontonians.
It probably won't work as they see through the pettiness!

FYI - the correct spelling is aggravate

Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
the cuisine is more varied in Chicago compared to Toronto...
I have no doubt the Chicago has more impressive world class cuisine - famous chefs and all, however more varied than Toronto? - I think you'll need something more concrete than this seemingly absurd comment. There is no question Toronto is more multiethnic than Chicago and as such, inevetibably has more varied cuisine... Not necessarily better just more varied given the ethnic stratification and breadth of the city as a whole.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post

The reason Canada miffs me is because their mostly insignificant country couldn't even exist without us. They are like some arrogant prince living in his wonderful new palace that his father built for him. Every day he talks about how great he is, how his palace has living quarters for all his servants, and how much better his palace is than his father's, who has a much larger, much grander, much more important, much more historical, but somewhat less structurally sound megapalace. Not only that, but the princes palace wasn't built naturally--- it was built to completely emulate other plans, resulting in a rather sterile palace that offers nothing new to any visitors.

The point is, yes, some things in Canada are nicer than in America, but it's not because of anything Canada did and most importantly, Canada has no place to criticize or condescend to us. They are a small country which was lucky enough to grow with relatively few conflicts, and even luckier to grow up with the most powerful country in history right below them. They live in an extremely safe, nice, clean country, and for that reason are typically duller than bricks. I really shouldn't mind, though; As Canada delights in America's economic perils, they seem to forget we import 91% of their goods...

At least you aren't another Mexico I guess. What I'd give to have a country like Canada where Mexico is...
I'm not sure why you have to get into this nationalistic/enthnocentric nonsense. The history of the nations are different and as such have taken differing paths. Canada is not as economically or militarily powerful as the U.S, but what other country is? This however doesn't make the country insignificant. It makes perfect sense the bulk of our exports go to the U.S. POPULATION+GEOGRAPHY and supply/demand forces! We are small in terms of population bordering a country with 10 times the population who needs our goods and in particular our natural resources. Why export to Asia or Europe when it is easier/cheaper and there is demand and we have the supply? I call that smart! The fact is - both countries need eachother as cooperative friends with the most important trading relationship in the world, instead of the citizens of each creating needless hostility as your ignorant post rants!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There is no doubt whatsoever that overall Toronto is MUCH safer than Chicago. You guys have a big advantage in that area.

Much of Chicago's violent crime is limited to the heavily minority populated areas however.
Toronto is safer and has less violent crime. Actually it is the safest major metro in North America. It is more multicultural/mutiethnic which gives the city a great vibe..cuisine/culture and the amazing thing is the general harmony all these things come together. I think this is an amazing aspect of the city so many different people from different backgrounds coming together - it is quintessentially Canadian!

The arts scene in Toronto is probably more substantial than Chicago as well though it is my assumption - if someone can counter it about Chicago i'm open to hearing it...Theatre scene - established Toronot beats it... and i'm sure more festivals...

Lets not forget Toronto has the Gay pride parade that is 1 million strong and these gay people can marry one another. Again showing the strength of the city as being a melting pot - its greatest attribute.

I get the impression if one is wealthy and involved in social circles and wants to reach the pinnacle of economic success, Chicago is the better option of the two - but for many who want a bohemian vibe with a more diverse flair for the regular folks - harmony and a stronger feeling of home is to be found in Toronto. I'm sure Chicago is a wonderful place to live. Yes a bigger skyline (though Toronto has a fantastic one as well) and yes - a more impressive waterfront - those though don't tip the scales imo

Those who say Toronto doesn't have a good night scene and is boring haven't been here or went to the wrong places.

One more thing

Yonge street is not even close to the best part of the city so if you are a tourist making a complete impression of the city by one street - FOOLish - my suggestion is walk and walk in the varied hoods and experience the city.... this is why Torontonians love our city for all of the above and more.

BTW i love Chicago's architecture and skyscraper history! It looks like a fantastic place to visit - though my impression is T.O is more livable for those who had to make a choice and aren't from either. For the folks from Chicago - of course its a great place its home! I guess i feel the same way about my city.

Last edited by mississauga75; 04-16-2009 at 01:14 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 PM

175 posts, read 1,591,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
BTW i love Chicago's architecture and skyscraper history! It looks like a fantastic place to visit - though my impression is T.O is more livable for those who had to make a choice and aren't from either. For the folks from Chicago - of course its a great place its home! I guess i feel the same way about my city.
I just came back from Chicago. In terms of skyline and architectural beauty, I have to say Chicago beats Toronto by a mile, oh no, maybe 10 miles. Chicago's downtown buildings and its waterfront are absolutely stunning. Toronto is simply not on the same league.

I personally think Chicago's architecture and urban planning are even better than NYC.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM

365 posts, read 1,182,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I just came back from Chicago. In terms of skyline and architectural beauty, I have to say Chicago beats Toronto by a mile, oh no, maybe 10 miles. Chicago's downtown buildings and its waterfront are absolutely stunning. Toronto is simply not on the same league.

I personally think Chicago's architecture and urban planning are even better than NYC.
I think even the most die-hard Toronto fan can admit we have pretty mediocre architecture.

The only real selling point to Toronto is its diversity and fact that it 'works'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto