Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times

Advertisements

Toronto Mayor is claiming "double standard" when he asked to revote after voting "No" on some current issues.

Ford

I have been reading more about him recently when his public drunkenness made the news. It's not surprising that he doesn't like red-light cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,041,934 times
I can agree with honoring our Canadian athletes, but I don't get why we need to name a street after Mandela when he's not even Canadian and we already have a school named after him. I understand why people think he's great and all, but this is going overboard I'd say.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I can agree with honoring our Canadian athletes, but I don't get why we need to name a street after Mandela when he's not even Canadian and we already have a school named after him. I understand why people think he's great and all, but this is going overboard I'd say.
Why is it a big deal though? Why does he have to be Canadian to have a street name? I'd rather have a Mandela Avenue over a Gretzky Street...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Why is it a big deal though? Why does he have to be Canadian to have a street name? I'd rather have a Mandela Avenue over a Gretzky Street...
Gretzky IS a Canadian and he has done more for Canada as an ambassador for his country than Mandela ever has. Since Mandela is South African then his home country should honor him. Why does the rest of the world have to do the same? Its really unnecessary no matter how revered he is that Canada should remember him as if he were our own when he's not Canadian.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,425,983 times
People like Alexander Fleming have streets named after them all over the world. Do you also oppose that?

I'm not here nor there regarding Mandela, but the nationality argument doesn't cut it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:48 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
Quote:
Gretzky IS a Canadian and he has done more for Canada as an ambassador for his country than Mandela ever has. Since Mandela is South African then his home country should honor him. Why does the rest of the world have to do the same? Its really unnecessary no matter how revered he is that Canada should remember him as if he were our own when he's not Canadian.
Yeah, I understand the principle of it, but it's just so petty. I can make the same argument like 'Oh, why should I care about Wayne Gretzky who is meaningless in the garand scheme of things just because he happened to be Canadian when there are people like Nelson Mandela who have done great things for the world?'.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times
Quote:
Why does somebody have to be Canadian to have a street named after them here, anyways? What is your opposition? Xenophobia or something?

God forbid we name one after an international hero. The only harm is he's not Canadian, correct? Why is that a problem? Who gives a flying **** what we name our streets after? As long as they're different and make sense, I couldn't care less if I lived on Butt**** street.

And you make a big deal out of a street possibly being named after Mandela?

Last edited by Stoke; 04-05-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why does somebody have to be Canadian to have a street named after them here, anyways? What is your opposition? Xenophobia or something?

God forbid we name one after an international hero. The only harm is he's not Canadian, correct? Why is that a problem? Who gives a flying **** what we name our streets after? As long as they're different and make sense, I couldn't care less if I lived on Butt**** street.

And you make a big deal out of a street possibly being named after Mandela?
The point is I'd rather rename a street to honor an accomplished Canadian of whom there are many rather than a foreign person who hasn't done much for Canada.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times
Quote:
The point is I'd rather rename a street to honor an accomplished Canadian of whom there are many rather than a foreign person who hasn't done much for Canada.
That's what we always do, though. Can't we switch it up every once in a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto