U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 19,313 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I am an engineer living in Edmonton. I recently got a job in Mississuaga, Toronto for around 80k CAD.
I am wondering if that can accomodate me and my family (wife and one child). How much is the rent for a decent 2 bedroom?
I am renting an apartment now in Edmonton. How much do you think am I suppose to ask for relocation compensation (moving my home furniture, temporary accomodation in mississauga, etc...)
Thanks for your concern
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,193,551 times
No idea what rent for a home is like...

Rent for nice appartments starts around $1000/mth.

Where exactly will you be working?

We have many highways passing through here, and depending on where your work is might affect where you want to live...

Driving from where I live, which is in the west end, center (Erin Mills area) to Pearson Airport in Mississauga's extreme northeast can take 35-55 minutes in rush hour, while with no traffic it only takes 12 minutes, when you can drive a constant 110km/h on the 403/401.

$80,000... is that like $55,000 to $60,000 after tax?

It will probably be doable, could still be comfortable, but not extravagent...
(then again I have limited knowledge on cost breakdowns, and only general ideas on costs around here)

Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 19,313 times
Default Thx

Hello Cold Canadian,
Thank you for your information. My work will be located on 6775 Rexwood road and I am planning to move to the beginning of central parkway (near Square One Mall).
As I see from Google maps I have to take the 401E then 403 then 427 till Derry road.
I am wondering how long would that normally take during weekdays?
Thanks for your information

Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,193,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaledakida View Post
Hello Cold Canadian,
Thank you for your information. My work will be located on 6775 Rexwood road and I am planning to move to the beginning of central parkway (near Square One Mall).
As I see from Google maps I have to take the 401E then 403 then 427 till Derry road.
I am wondering how long would that normally take during weekdays?
Thanks for your information
During rush-hour I'd expect 25-55 minutes.

I can see your work is located in extreme northeast Mississauga...
I also just noticed it's near Woodbridge, Brampton, Malton and sort of close to Kleinburg.

You might also want to check out Woodbridge and maybe Kleinburg. It would probably be a faster drive even though about the same distance.

You probably don't want to live in Malton or Brampton. I haven't heard anything nice about Malton, has some higher crime, though I wouldn't be afraid to work there.

Many people don't like Brampton but it's mostly because of how it was developed; no urban planning so its neighbourhoods are dense and sprawling, traffic is probably some of GTA's worst. Transit is less reliable and many neighbourhoods were built where some homes are several kilometers away from anything but more homes.

Woodbridge is probably a slightly "higher-end" priced city. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Woodbridge is also a short drive from Canada's Wonderland (though they might close in a few years) and Ontario's newest, biggest mall "Vaughn Mills."

Kleinburg is a smaller city or town, not sure how it looks but I know it's pretty close to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto