Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM

97 posts, read 226,912 times

Advertisements

While I giggle at the name...lol...I have a question

Our friends have recently moved to Hoggs Hollow from Aurora. Is that generally a safe area? Aurora is way North and I have been to their old home several times and never felt threatened day or night in Aurora. What are you opinions of Hoggs Hollow?

We will be staying a week with them 21-28JUN for the Toronto Jazz Festival & Digital Dreams Festival.

Thank you,

JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

26,803 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Is this some kind of joke?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,437,626 times
That area, around the intersection of Young and Wilson, is very nice, with lots of homes that are valued above two million dollars. The name goes back to the middle of the 19th century, when a bridge was built over the Hogg Creek, in a valley. Hence Hogg's Hollow.

Link to history about this area.

Hoggs Hollow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, no its not a joke.

Jim b

Toronto.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is this some kind of joke?
Nope...not a joke. I live 800 miles away and have never been there. How could it be a joke? I have been to Aurora but never that area of Inner Toronto.

Do you know all parts of the US by chance?

Thank you and have a nice day.

JT

Old 06-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
That area, around the intersection of Young and Wilson, is very nice, with lots of homes that are valued above two million dollars. The name goes back to the middle of the 19th century, when a bridge was built over the Hogg Creek, in a valley. Hence Hogg's Hollow.

Link to history about this area.

Hoggs Hollow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, no its not a joke.

Jim b

Toronto.
Thank you for your courteous reply. Nonsense replies are not needed.

JT

Old 06-10-2014, 01:58 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
Your friends must be doing quite well for themselves if they can afford a home in Hoggs Hollow.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Your friends must be doing quite well for themselves if they can afford a home in Hoggs Hollow.
They had a very nice quite large home in Aurora. I guess I should not have expected anything less...lol

They wanted to move closer in to the city. They are from Germany originally and could not get use to the burbs. We are also coming to World Pride. How far is Hoggs Hollow from The Village if I may ask?

I will be bringing my 72yr old mother too. We just wanted to make sure that Inner Toronto area was ok. Some wealthy areas of the US can border da hood...if you know what I mean...lol
Thank you,

Jt

Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,593,280 times
If you keep going west on Wilson then it will get sketchy but there's no reason to go there if you are closer to Yonge Street. Hoggs Hallow is wealthy residential area in Toronto and is just north of downtown. It's on the subway line and you can take the subway downtown and be there in like 15-20 min

Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,437,626 times
There is a TTC subway station, at Young and York Mills Road. Take that line south to Bloor and Young station, and voila, you are 3 blocks from the parade route's starting point.

Toronto is one of the safest cities in North American, and with an estimated one million people attending the event, the streets will be humming. Remember that no one here can legally carry a hand gun, so that alone is one factor in considering the safety in any Canadian city.

Toronto has close to the same population as Chicago does......but they have five times the homicide rate, and nine times the rate of assaults, compared to Toronto. Here is another way to think about it.......One American city, Los Angles, has more homicides in one year, than ALL of Canada does.

Enjoy your time here.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM

3,610 posts, read 3,372,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
There is a TTC subway station, at Young and York Mills Road. Take that line south to Bloor and Young station....
Let's make sure that our visitor won't be confused: it may be pronounced "young," but it is spelled "Yonge."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto