Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Skip the Zoo and the Science Center - too far out and you won't have time. If you have kids I'd consider skipping the ROM and going to Casa Loma instead - the kids will love the hidden passage, going up to the turrets, and the tunnel to the stables.
Not so sure - the ROM's natural history component is lots of fun for kids but the OP knows their family best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:00 AM

27 posts, read 39,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibasabu View Post
Hello,

My family is visiting some extended family near Niagara Falls, ON in about ten days. My family wants to visit Toronto to see some certain attractions while we're there but we've made it clear that we would only have one whole day to visit the city. The following attractions are on the list: Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Center, and the CN Tower (plus dinner at the 360 Restaurant). I have been advised to see Casa Loma early in the day, Royal Ontario Museum after 1pm and to visit the CN Tower after 7pm to avoid crowds.

I'll also included operating hours here:
CN Tower: 9am-10pm
Royal Ontario Museum: 10am-5:30pm (9pm if on a Friday but we'll choose the day based on weather)
Casa Loma: 9:30am-5pm
Toronto Zoo: 9am-7pm
Ontario Science Centre: 10am-4pm

If we were to let any one of those go, it would be the zoo since it's nearly 30 minutes away from the rest of the group and I figure once you've seen a zoo, you've practically seen them all. Nonetheless, we'd like to try and get them all in.

Is there any information that someone could provide me with on these attractions? Is there a good order to do these in? On average, how long have you spent at these places? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Ok everyone I may have an update and possibly a solution. We're spending the late afternoon and evening at Niagara Falls Park on a Friday since they do the lights and fireworks show then. As long as the weather was fine, our day in Toronto was to be on a Thursday. There is potential that we could get a room in Scarborough just outside the zoo on Thursday night. By that account, we could do everything in downtown on Thursday and do the zoo early Friday before meeting back in Niagara. That's one possibility or maybe do like 5 hours ROM 5 hours Science Centre, late meal just before sunset at CN Tower then do zoo and Casa Loma on the way back.

Another possibility is just simply asking "if I had one day in Toronto, which places are musts to visit?" If things like say the zoo or Casa Loma are not as important as other places, how should we spend our day altogether?

Of course the other option is getting in what we can from our list and whatever we can't get is just too bad for our limited time.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
Just a note on the science center -- we went two years ago and in many cases, they had the exact same exhibits that they had when I was a kid. It was... boring.

I did however just go to the Museum of Science in Boston on the weekend, and that was amazing. So I'd bag the science center. One advantage for the zoo over the aquarium is you probably won't spend as much time in line.

Having been to the Georgia aquarium (but not the toronto one yet) I can't imagine the toronto aquarium being much better than the georgia aquarium (which is amazing).

Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Just a note on the science center -- we went two years ago and in many cases, they had the exact same exhibits that they had when I was a kid. It was... boring.

I did however just go to the Museum of Science in Boston on the weekend, and that was amazing. So I'd bag the science center. One advantage for the zoo over the aquarium is you probably won't spend as much time in line.

Having been to the Georgia aquarium (but not the toronto one yet) I can't imagine the toronto aquarium being much better than the georgia aquarium (which is amazing).
I agree about the Science Centre - think it really needs some modernizing and a major overhaul.. The location is just not exactly conducive to being tourist friendly either. Not sure what they were thinking putting it there. Atleast with the Zoo you kinda need a more out of the way place than DT for a big zoo...

The Ripley's Aquarium gets pretty good accolades actually. The Georgia Aquarium is larger overall but Ripley's is very interactive and has species other Aquariums don't. I love Aquariums so i'd visit both actually..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto