Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 AM

27 posts, read 39,533 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is visiting some extended family near Niagara Falls, ON in about ten days. My family wants to visit Toronto to see some certain attractions while we're there but we've made it clear that we would only have one whole day to visit the city. The following attractions are on the list: Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Center, and the CN Tower (plus dinner at the 360 Restaurant). I have been advised to see Casa Loma early in the day, Royal Ontario Museum after 1pm and to visit the CN Tower after 7pm to avoid crowds.

I'll also included operating hours here:
CN Tower: 9am-10pm
Royal Ontario Museum: 10am-5:30pm (9pm if on a Friday but we'll choose the day based on weather)
Casa Loma: 9:30am-5pm
Toronto Zoo: 9am-7pm
Ontario Science Centre: 10am-4pm

If we were to let any one of those go, it would be the zoo since it's nearly 30 minutes away from the rest of the group and I figure once you've seen a zoo, you've practically seen them all. Nonetheless, we'd like to try and get them all in.

Is there any information that someone could provide me with on these attractions? Is there a good order to do these in? On average, how long have you spent at these places? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
The Toronto Zoo is HUGE! Lot's of walking ..... And it will take many many hours to cover anything significant.

From the Toronto Zoo website:
Size: 287 hectares (710 acres). One of the largest zoos in the world.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
forget the zoo. Like you said, zoos are the same everywhere.

You can comfortably fit everything else in one day for sure.

Cn tower: 1 hour -there is really not much to see up there.
ROM: 1.5-2 hours
Casa Loma 1-1.5 hours
Science centre - no idea, couple of hours?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
1.5 - 2hrs in the ROM - no way atleast a half day especially if you want a bit more than just a passing glimpse of the exhibits.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibasabu View Post
Hello,

My family is visiting some extended family near Niagara Falls, ON in about ten days. My family wants to visit Toronto to see some certain attractions while we're there but we've made it clear that we would only have one whole day to visit the city. The following attractions are on the list: Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Center, and the CN Tower (plus dinner at the 360 Restaurant). I have been advised to see Casa Loma early in the day, Royal Ontario Museum after 1pm and to visit the CN Tower after 7pm to avoid crowds.

I'll also included operating hours here:
CN Tower: 9am-10pm
Royal Ontario Museum: 10am-5:30pm (9pm if on a Friday but we'll choose the day based on weather)
Casa Loma: 9:30am-5pm
Toronto Zoo: 9am-7pm
Ontario Science Centre: 10am-4pm

If we were to let any one of those go, it would be the zoo since it's nearly 30 minutes away from the rest of the group and I figure once you've seen a zoo, you've practically seen them all. Nonetheless, we'd like to try and get them all in.

Is there any information that someone could provide me with on these attractions? Is there a good order to do these in? On average, how long have you spent at these places? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Go to the Rom in the morning and give it about 3 hrs. 1.5 - 2 hrs and you'll be totally rushing through not appreciating the exhibits its a huge museum.

I'd shelve the zoo and Science Centre (ZOO in suburbia and is huge its a full day on its own, Science Centre isn't in the core and travelling will eat up your time) in favour of the Aquarium if you haven't been to one or like jellyfish and sharks its a pretty good one and interactive - very modern facility plus its at the base of the CN Tower so you can knock them both off without distance between them. So do Aquarium in the aft - grab a bite to eat and cap off the day at the CN Tower.

ROM, Aquarium and CN Tower is a full day and not far from one another all within the DT core and a manageable itinerary.

CASA Loma, the ZOO and Science Centre are worth it when you have more time, otherwise the family will get frustrated travelling to various places instead of enjoying thing in a compact area. Toronto is a big city so I wouldn't recommend venturing out of the core with such limited time!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-22-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
I'd say it depends on what your family is interested in. There's also interesting shopping districts, places for foodies, the waterfront, Chinatown, maybe even PATH/Financial District.

I agree with the others about skipping the zoo and science center. Does Atlanta or areas nearby have a science center or is that a kind of place you've never been to before?

You can see Casa Loma on streetview. I guess you can check it out that way to see if you want to see it in person too.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.67801...sza-1Q!2e0!3e5

Last edited by memph; 08-22-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'd say it depends on what your family is interested in. There's also interesting shopping districts, places for foodies, the waterfront, Chinatown, maybe even PATH/Financial District.

I agree with the others about skipping the zoo and science center. Does Atlanta or areas nearby have a science center or is that a kind of place you've never been to before?

You can see Casa Loma on streetview. I guess you can check it out that way to see if you want to see it in person too.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.67801...sza-1Q!2e0!3e5
Oh yeah they are from Atlanta so the Aquarium may not be exactly something different so yes even just walking around the core and shopping along QSW and Kensington would be a fun time. Casa Loma doesn't do it for me over QSW or Kensington but depends on interests.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 39,533 times
Yes here in Atlanta, we are most well known for housing the world's largest aquarium named the Georgia Aquarium (I think the only indoor aquarium to hold a blue whale, really cool). We also have the High Museum of Art which holds four stories of artwork, primarily French and Roman. I have looked at pictures of the ROM and they both seem very similar. We also have Zoo Atlanta where the highlight is the giant panda exhibit. I know Toronto has pandas too but growing up in Los Angeles and living in Atlanta, we've never gotten to see arctic animals like polar bears and sea otters. The white lions seem intriguing too though I've heard on review sites that most of the animals are very inactive so that's something else to consider.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibasabu View Post
Yes here in Atlanta, we are most well known for housing the world's largest aquarium named the Georgia Aquarium (I think the only indoor aquarium to hold a blue whale, really cool). We also have the High Museum of Art which holds four stories of artwork, primarily French and Roman. I have looked at pictures of the ROM and they both seem very similar. We also have Zoo Atlanta where the highlight is the giant panda exhibit. I know Toronto has pandas too but growing up in Los Angeles and living in Atlanta, we've never gotten to see arctic animals like polar bears and sea otters. The white lions seem intriguing too though I've heard on review sites that most of the animals are very inactive so that's something else to consider.
I wouldn't brush over the ROM which is not an art museum ie it has ancient artefacts that are mostly not paintings plus doubles as a natural history museum. (The AGO is Toronto's Art museum)..The far east collection of ancient artefacts is extensive as are the dinosaur exhibits.. There is also the forbidden city exhibit on right now so I dont think you are going to see the same exhibits in Atlanta. Obviuosly a large museum is going to have unique collections and pieces that are native inly to that museum and unless you go to Beijing in a few minths than the forbidden city collection is not going to be replicated anywhere else. The ROM has a good Egyptian collection as well including mummies. Anyway its a fun half day and if one like museums the Gardner and Bata museums are close by for niche collections if you are interested in them worth an hour visit in each.

If you like Aquariums than The Toronto one Ripley's Aquarium of Canada) should still be investigated as its highly interactive and may have specimens that are still not housed in the Atlanta one. Plus its right beside the CN Tower and although CN is touristy it is still an experience and gives one the best view of T.O and the highest observation deck of any structure in our hemisphere - its fun and a great view.

If you just want to roam the streets even though Yonge is kitchy its still bustling and shows the busy street life of the city and for someone from Atlanta - Yonge Dundas would be interesting to see. Wouldn't overlook Queen Street West and Kensington and all ive mentioned are in or straddling the DT core.. The Zoo and Science Centre are just not practicale places to go for a one day visit unless you only want to do one of them and maybe an evening CN Tower visit, otherwise stick with attractions in the DT core that you are interested in because even they can't be done in a day. You'll still have to choose based on interest but atleast you'll have more choice.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-23-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 04:52 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Skip the Zoo and the Science Center - too far out and you won't have time. If you have kids I'd consider skipping the ROM and going to Casa Loma instead - the kids will love the hidden passage, going up to the turrets, and the tunnel to the stables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto