Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times

Advertisements

If I'm in the left lane I usually go at 75-80mph if traffic is moving fast enough to allow me to do so. And if I have someone closing in behind me in the left lane and space in front, I either speed up or move right, even if I was already passing cars at my original speed. Usually I go at least at 70mph in the middle lane if traffic is moving fast enough.

Honestly I've just about never experienced road rage. I've been pissed off at other drivers for driving aggressively or not letting me into their lane, but probably just once or twice I've been honked at for forcing my way into a lane in the last few years. And occasionally on 2 lane roads someone would tailgate me then speed past me because I was going at the speed limit (and not above, usually if it's dark or rainy).

I've experienced more road rage as a pedestrian and cyclist, although I've probably also gotten around more by bike/foot than by car in the last few years and probably drive about 100-200 km a month and only about 1/3 of that on highways.

Examples:
I'm on a side street at an intersection waiting for a gap to cross an arterial road. Traffic is pretty heavy so it takes me a while and the guy in the jeep behind me starts revving his motor.

Walking in a grocery store parking lot at the side of a driving aisle and a woman in an SUV behind me honks at me even though there's plenty of space to get around me.

Same as above but in a park walking on a road with my mother and grandmother on the side of the road. The road is basically a long driveway that goes to the park's parking lot and there were no other cars on it and plenty of room to pass. The car was going slowly behind us, I looked back at it (confused as to why it wouldn't go around us, yes, it might have to go a bit in the oncoming lane but there was no traffic...) and then it honked at us and sped around us when we wouldn't move onto the grass.

Getting honked at and passed aggressively for taking the lane while biking (only do that on side streets or multi-lane arterials with no bike paths/lanes).

I suspect above would happen in most American cities too though. I noticed drivers often didn't respect pedestrian crosswalks in Pittsburgh, Memphis and New Orleans which is very rare around here (Western GTA and K-W).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I drove in the GTA with N.H. plates for years before switching over - including the QEW to Niagara Falls daily for six months - and while I did witness tons of ridiculous behaviour on the road, I never experienced anything close to what you're describing.
Thank you!

It is very rare to even hear a car honking on a Toronto highway. I think it is limited to when someone cuts you off dangerously.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Thank you!

It is very rare to even hear a car honking on a Toronto highway. I think it is limited to when someone cuts you off dangerously.
Each has their own experiences. I am just posting what I personally experienced during the last 2 months driving on Toronto roads. It's a big city. You have the right to speak of your own experiences, but can neither confirm nor deny others' experiences. Keep saying that these things are rare or "hard to believe" does not negate the fact that these rude and unacceptable behaviors do occur, as documented by several other posters above.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Something sounds fishy. People wouldnt do that if you're driving at the exact speed limit. It sounds like maybe you were driving 75 kph on a highway that is 100 kph? If so, then I'd be one of those drivers that would be angry too lol.

But I don't beep or give the finger. I usually tailgate (and sometimes flick on the high beams) until you get out the way.

Do you drive with the flow of other cars on the highway? Or is EVERYBODY driving past you?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Something sounds fishy. People wouldnt do that if you're driving at the exact speed limit. It sounds like maybe you were driving 75 kph on a highway that is 100 kph? If so, then I'd be one of those drivers that would be angry too lol.

But I don't beep or give the finger. I usually tailgate (and sometimes flick on the high beams) until you get out the way.

Do you drive with the flow of other cars on the highway? Or is EVERYBODY driving past you?
Driving 75 MPH... I know the difference between KM and Miles...

I think by driving at 75 MPH I'm usually ahead or with the flow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto