Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

I've moved to Toronto and rented an apartment, but am still investigating how to get my small studio's worth of stuff there from New York. I could quite easily rent a 10' truck, drive it there, and return the truck to NY (or to Buffalo if that made sense). But I'm being reimbursed to a certain extent and want to see a mover can do it as well. Any recommendations?

I've read and heard enough horror stories about quotes not reflecting the eventual bill, additional costs for border delays, etc. In a way I'm leaning towards just doing it myself, but if anyone has had a good experience with movers at this scale, I'd love to hear about it

What I'd LOVE to do is rent a cargo van, but there have been threads about that and it seems possibly for only in-town moves. Unless I can get there and back in 24 hours, maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
We were happy with http://www.upack.com/ for our cross border move - but it was house > house, not apartment > apartment, so we could leave the trailer out at either end. The final bill was the same as the online quote, they were on time, and there were no border issues. Based on what you said I got an online quote of $1797 for a small studio plus $398 if you need labour (2 helpers) for loading.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:02 PM

677 posts, read 852,161 times
I used U-Haul in spring of 2013 from Maryland - one way. I dropped off the truck at a predetermined location in Hamilton, and the cost of everything was cheaper than if I had hired movers. We needed to store our stuff for a few months, and were able to do that at the same place. The truck was a 14'. It all went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto