Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,421,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Toronto and Minneapolis are "comparable and appear quite similar." I'll let other posters comment on this.
Many posters here also think that NY is similar to Toronto. I don't think Minneapolis being similar to Toronto is so far fetched that you needed to bold and quote the statement while asking others to comment on it.

Most Canadians that would know about Minneapolis are ones that live in around Winnipeg in MB. I see a lot of MB license plates in Minneapolis.

Just for your knowledge and as a rule of thumb. If a city has all the professional sports: NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB - it is not a small town ... but a "significant" media market!

And if you don't mind me asking - how do you know so much about Toronto? Travelled there for work or lived in Toronto? I'll let you know that I'm from Toronto and went to UofT for my undergrad not too long ago ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:47 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,701 times
Minneapolis is a very nice city, but let's get real here -- it's a pastoral cowtown compared to Toronto.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Minneapolis is a very nice city, but let's get real here -- it's a pastoral cowtown compared to Toronto.
Way to take the debate to the other extreme!

The Twin Cities feel somewhere between Vancouver and Montreal in terms of size. (I don't really care what the US Census says about MSA or CSA populations BTW.)

Needless to say, they aren't even close to Toronto in terms of bigness.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,701 times
IMO, there are only two American cities that can compare to this.
Toronto by Antoine Demé, on Flickr

Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,421,129 times
^^^^
that's one ugly skyline.

And I'm not the only one who says it:

What superchef Anthony Bourdain really thinks of Toronto:
I’m intrigued by the fact that this is not a good-looking city … your English-Presbyterian past has not served you well architecturally. Like Sao Paulo, another city I really love, it’s not a place that looks anywhere near as cool as it really is.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle4446234/

This (funny) video sums it up pretty well:
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/i...different-here

Last edited by sandman249; 10-15-2014 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,150,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
^^^^
that's one ugly skyline.

I’m intrigued by the fact that this is not a good-looking city … your English-Presbyterian past has not served you well architecturally. Like Sao Paulo, another city I really love, it’s not a place that looks anywhere near as cool as it really is.

What superchef Anthony Bourdain really thinks of Toronto - The Globe and Mail
So some "chef" said Toronto's skyline is not not good looking enough for him? What are you trying to say? That now even kitchen chefs are qualified to be our city planners? Dude if you want to slam Toronto go somewhere else.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,247,088 times
Quote:
^^^^
that's one ugly skyline.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/i...different-here
You are of course entitled to your opinion like everyone else, but it is really tough to argue against the Toronto skyline being a solid 3rd in North America right now. The individual buildings themselves do not need to be anything special, but the collection of height and the way the city has clustered them together is pretty impressive. I was back in Toronto September for a few weeks and found myself looking up quite a bit and admiring the collection of buildings on more than a few occasions and I am not a huge "skyline" guy in general. Toronto is kind of similar to Panama City in that sense. You approach PC from the Ferry heading into Balboa Yacht Club and you find yourself staring and the endless collection of buildings from a far. They are mostly concrete monoliths (similar to how Toronto is alot of glass) but there are so many of them that you have to put aside your biases for a moment and admit it is a pretty amazing skyline.

On street level though Toronto is still not quite anything special. I was expecting the building boom to add alot more vibrancy at street level, but the improvements are smaller than I experienced. I still like quite a few cities better on the ground, both ascetically and vibe wise. That includes a few American cities like NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston and maybe even Philly. I have only been to Minneapolis once, but I do not think it is a match for Toronto street level at all, but as I said I have limited experience.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
^^^^
that's one ugly skyline.

That's not really a good angle of the Toronto skyline though.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
^^^^
that's one ugly skyline.

It's Like ... Different Here: The Layover Toronto Video
What I've heard of Bourdain and Toronto being ugly is not primarily related to the skyline. It's more about the city at street level: commercial streets, etc.

If anything, Toronto's skyline is one of its best aesthetic attributes.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,040,679 times
Wtf?

Our skyline is one of our best selling points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto