Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,802 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am 22 years old and I am currently 2 years into a part time degree (5 years) in commercial management and quantity surveying, the course is RICS accredited. Once completed there is the possibility to become chartered with the RICS. I am also working for a local firm of Quantity Surveyors here in the UK who are funding my current education.

My girlfriend is American but studying in the UK so its a possibility that i will be trying to move over there with her eventually. Her family lives in Pittsburgh, PA, so anywhere near to there would be ideal, NYC maybe or Pittsburgh itself?

I understand that in America the equivalent to a Quantity Surveyor is a cost manager and it seems that the main route to that is to work for a company like Turner Townsend in the UK and get an internal transfer to one of their offices in the US. However this would be more of a lengthy process as i would have to move jobs here before getting the transfer.

Also i am not sure how easy it is to do this as i cant imagine they are giving that opportunity to any employee?

I have also seen job advertisements through companies like Faithful and Gould for Quantity Surveyors in the US where they will consider UK applicants but require that you are authorized to work in the US for any employer.

I would be looking to move over there at the end of my degree/RICS training (in roughly 4-5 years from now).

Do you have any advice on how i might do this, any tips/information or other companies to look out for?

I also dont have much knowledge about the visa process but i know that it can be expensive and complicated.

I understand that 90% of America havn't even heard of the RICS and thats why im looking at these other options/asking on here. I would really appreciate any help from anyone.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:38 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Marry your American girlfriend and don't tell the QS firm that is funding your education that you plan to leave them as soon as you graduate. I know a few UK QS immigrants who now work in construction cost estimating in Canada but generally the QS nut-and-bolt bean counting approach isn't used as much in North America.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Did you notice that your post is in the TORONTO section of the Canadian part of City Data........

Repost it in the American part of the forums, and you will get more answers.

Jim b. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto