U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 PM

145 posts, read 608,034 times

Advertisements

How do people feel about the towns listed below from a family life perspective as well as being close to downtown (less than 20 minutes)? How are the schools, crime, parks? Both my wife and I have an Indian heritage so would prefer locales that have some concentration of Indians living in them but do not want to live in a predominantly Indian neighborhood (if that makes sense).

Looking through a website posted by a helpful forum-user, I am running across these towns in my price range for a single family home (no condo):
-Vaughan
-Richmond Hill
-Markham
-Etobicoke
-Toronto (I'm assuming these must be downtown?)

Thanks very much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

65 posts, read 406,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibear View Post
How do people feel about the towns listed below from a family life perspective as well as being close to downtown (less than 20 minutes)? How are the schools, crime, parks? Both my wife and I have an Indian heritage so would prefer locales that have some concentration of Indians living in them but do not want to live in a predominantly Indian neighborhood (if that makes sense).

Looking through a website posted by a helpful forum-user, I am running across these towns in my price range for a single family home (no condo):
-Vaughan
-Richmond Hill
-Markham
-Etobicoke

Thanks very much
Vaughan and Richmond Hill have high concentrations of italian and jewish people in many n'hoods. Markham has high concentrations of chinese people. Part of north Etobicoke may have quite a few indian families although Brampton and Malton (north Mississauga near the airport) have high indian concentrations (a lot of sikhs). Brampton has the newest and nicest housing of those.

Toronto itself has a bit of everything but many nice areas are quite expensive.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Any differences in school districts or the commute to downtown?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM

55 posts, read 238,351 times
my two aunts who have both children live in richmond hill,and they are happy there,it's pretty calm and crime is low.

I can't say much cause I do not live there but every time I go I like it.and I love the parks..

Old 01-19-2008, 02:30 AM

215 posts, read 1,599,842 times
Quote:

-Vaughan
-Richmond Hill
-Markham
-Etobicoke

Thanks very much
20 minutes from downtown? forget about it :P to be honest, that's not going to happen unless you live within the old city (before the municipal merger of 1997). If your willing to up that limit to 30 or 40, you could hit the cities that were merged with Toronto in 1997. Etobicoke is more of a "white" city, and North York has a mix, but in general is more "black" and "asian". Scarborough has an excellent population of Indian immigrants. It has a reputation for being a high-crime area, but the reality is it's not. The reason for this is that Scarborough for nearly 200 years without changing it's shape, and so if something happens it's easier to say it happened in Scarborough then at X and Y streets. Due to this misconception, property values can be a bargin! New homes are going up in the northeast corner of the city, but this would be at your 40 minute limit or even more. All of this is within what is currently "Toronto", all of these areas have great transit connections for those without a car (yourself, your children, etc)

Your other options are the York Region (Markham, Vaughan, Richmond Hill) or the Peel Region (Mississauga, Brampton)

The York Region is in a major fit of growth, if your looking for a brand new house, this is where you will find one, but a warning, it will take you a bit of time to get into downtown. Markham has a very large number of Chinese, but does have an Indian community. Most of the people who live here had immigrated to Toronto, worked a crappy job for a few years, then found a great job, and saved up to move out to Markham. Richmond Hill is more "White" but has a similar feel to it, while Vaughan is in flux, and it's Italian and Jewish communities are shrinking in size as newly successful immigrants move out of Toronto.

I'd more recommend Mississauga. It was where the York Region was 20 years ago. It is now a fully developed city and the last patches of farmland are being turned into houses. Depending on where in the city you live, you could get a good commute time. Mississauga's Indian community is as large as, if not larger then that found in Scarborough, though many of the immigrants here are Sikh and Pakistani as well.

Hope that helps. As for property values, I'm not a good person to get specifics from.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 PM

62 posts, read 214,917 times
I was going to recommend Mississauga as well.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM

Schools are uniform - there are really no schools that stick out as very bad or very good with the exception of the Jane and Finch area of North York. Also, crime is fairly uniform across Toronto, with the exception of Jane and Finch, which is the "crime capital". Both Scarborough and Mississauga are medium-low on the crime scale, with no real areas being better or worse then the rest, with the possible exception of the Malvern neighbourhood in Scarborough, but even there things are getting better. If your planning to do much driving (EG, the only worker has a car, and you plan to get a second car for the rest of the family) then you want a car friendly part of the city (northern scarborough, and all of mississauga) but if you plan to use transit (either yourself, your spouce, or your children) then you should focus on western scarborough, or southern mississauga.

Scarborough is part of Toronto now, and so has the same transit system. 1 ticket costs roughly $2.25, but a monthly metropass runs you $109. I am on the "Metropass discount plan" that gets a $100 pass delivered by mail to my house. You get the benefit of being locked in, price wise (against fare hikes) for a year, but the drawback of being locked in for the whole year. Mississauga Transit has a monthly pass that’s cheaper, but I don’t know the exact cost. Mississauga tickets will run you $2.00 IIRC, but you’d need to use a second TTC (Toronto) ticket to get into the city. If it’s your family and not you that is using transit, then Mississauga should suit you fine and dandy. GO transit, a commuter rail service, runs though Mississauga and Scarborough, and for between $5-$10 you can get into downtown, and back again for the same fare; these fares are by distance, and while each has two rail lines running though it, only one is an all-day line.

Good areas, with parks:
Scarborough
Ceaderbrae
Port Union and Lawrence (not very transit-friendly)
Malvern (still improving crime-wise, but can be a bargain)
Agincourt (many Chinese here)

Mississauga
Erindale
Erin Mills (a bit far away, but new)
Streetsville

If I planned to have two family cars, I’d go with Erindale; one, Ceaderbrae, and zero, Agincourt.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM

207 posts, read 706,855 times
Quote:

-Vaughan
-Richmond Hill
-Markham
-Etobicoke

Thanks very much
20 Mins is out of the Question, even if you live within the border of Toronto, you can't really get to downtown toronto in 20 mins, unless you driving in the middle of the night.

If you don't want high concentration of Indian, then Scarborough and Bramton is out. living in Markham is like living in Asia.
Vaughan and Richmond Hill have much more diverse residents, but housing is expensive.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys. This is good info to have for when the time comes for the actual move. In the end, I'd like to drive thru these towns as much as possible to get a feeling first hand.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM

while Mississauga tends to be more of a mix, note that Scarborough has pockets of this and that (IE, pockets of rich and poor, indian areas and chinese areas, low den. subdivisions, apartment districts, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto