Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Actually, no, that makes no sense whatsoever. New York and Singapore are much richer than Mississippi. Mississippi is the poorest U.S. state and one of the least desirable (largely for this exact reason).

Berlin, however is poor, and not particularly desirable within Germany, similar to how Mississippi is not particularly desirable within the U.S.

And no one ever claimed that income is the ONLY measure of desirability. But clearly it's a major component of desirability, as proven by Mississippi vs. Massachusetts or wherever.
OK, then may I ask, putting language/immigration aside, if given the choice, do you or most people want to live in a city such as Berlin or Munich, or for that matter, Singapore/Vancouver, OR "much richer" Mississippi?

And while you have argued previous the stats are from the same source and completely comparable, do you mind sharing the source to confirm that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What? You have your stats really wrong. Mississippi has a $37k household income (meaning 2 persons full-time employed). Finland, Japan, Austria etch have around $35k average per capita income (meaning 1 person full-time employed). In 2013 Finland had a median household income of $63.3k comparable to Massachusetts, the 6th wealthiest state in the US.

Mississippi would definitely not be the 11th richest economy in the world, lol, it would be the poorest region of Finland. The half of the median household income would mean annually €16 030, or €1333 a month, which is below our poverty level!

Jeez, do some of you actually believe we are some Greeks with no money up here? To make it even worse, the average unemployment subsidies adjusted for income is €1050 a month. Nobody in this country if not a kid would even work for 1333 a month.
Good to see you in the Canada forum. Is this a first?

Please report to the forum registration desk immediately and have in hand your opinions on a) Quebec and b) the accent of English Canadians compared to the accent of Americans.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OK, then may I ask, putting language/immigration aside, if given the choice, do you or most people want to live in a city such as Berlin or Munich, or for that matter, Singapore/Vancouver, OR "much richer" Mississippi?

And while you have argued previous the stats are from the same source and completely comparable, do you mind sharing the source to confirm that?
I never wrote any of this. All I wrote is that Germany has the median income of Mississippi, which is true.

I wrote this in response to the previous claim that Germany was supposedly the most desirable country, in part because of economy. But while Germany is rich for global standards, there are definitely much richer places (including basically all of the U.S., Canada, Australia, and lots of small countries in Europe, like Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and a few others).

Obviously individual cities may or may not have higher median incomes than Mississippi.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Please report to the forum registration desk immediately and have in hand your opinions on a) Quebec and b) the accent of English Canadians compared to the accent of Americans.
I agree with this Canada forum 101.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I never wrote any of this. All I wrote is that Germany has the median income of Mississippi, which is true.

I wrote this in response to the previous claim that Germany was supposedly the most desirable country, in part because of economy. But while Germany is rich for global standards, there are definitely much richer places (including basically all of the U.S., Canada, Australia, and lots of small countries in Europe, like Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and a few others).

Obviously individual cities may or may not have higher median incomes than Mississippi.
man, you have been too harsh on that and taken it too literally. He claimed Germany is the most desirable country on earth (even without "one of", much like plenty of rankings put Vancouver or recently Toronto as the most livable city on earth. Of course these are all largely subjective and no scientific research can prove one city is more livable than another, at least among stable high income rich countries.

He likes Germany, there is nothing wrong with that. How many Canadians think Canada is the best country in the world? How many Americans think the US is the best place in the world. While he was not being scientific, your pointing out that Germany has a lower income than Mississippi doesn't prove him wrong, as we all know, high income doesn't translate into desirability.

And lastly, no offense to Mississippi, but I would rather live in China than Mississippi (or Fort Murray, AB), how matter how high the median income is supposed to be.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Good to see you in the Canada forum. Is this a first?

A second, I think. I think I made one comment on public transport sometimes...

Ok, registered.

a) Let Quebec be as they are, but I don't support the secessionist movement.
b) The accent is quite similar to Americans, right? I haven't been able to spot a big difference. Should I?

At this point it should probably not be wise to say I really don't like hockey.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:

At this point it should probably not be wise to say I really don't like hockey.
You're probably used to getting a bit of crap for that in Finland already...

Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
You're probably used to getting a bit of crap for that in Finland already...
We have quite a strong anti-hockey movement actually. Especially in football, basketball and city liberal circles.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
We have quite a strong anti-hockey movement actually. Especially in football, basketball and city liberal circles.
And I suppose you don't have the strong patriotic aspect to hockey that we have in Canada. That also adds to it. I suspect there are more people than we think that dislike hockey in Canada, but many of them refrain from sharing that information in public.

In Canada, even sophisticated urbanites tend to like hockey.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Quote:
And I suppose you don't have the strong patriotic aspect to hockey that we have in Canada. That also adds to it. I suspect there are more people than we think that dislike hockey in Canada, but many of them refrain from sharing that information in public.

In Canada, even sophisticated urbanites tend to like hockey.
Hockey is boring. And over-rated, just like American football. There I said it I just can't get myself to rise up to the pitch of enthusiasm for any sport unless I play it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto