Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
i'm the same way. i like to walk everywhere downtown and i mean EVERYWHERE. usually if the walk is 30 minutes or less i'd walk 99% of the time.

same goes for when i go on vacation. i went to vancouver and seattle last november and i literally walked everywhere. the only time i took the vancouver skytrain was from the airport to my hotel. the fact that dt toronto is so walkable especially in the summer, its nice to take advantage and enjoy the walk-ability. only a few north american cities can say the same.
I would argue living downtown Toronto does entail taking streetcars and buses to get around on a regular basis for many. I certainly did when I lived in the Annex back in the day, and even when I lived on St. Clair West. And I even take streetcars now when I go downtown, living off the Yonge line. Sure, one can theoretically survive on the subway line just fine but you'll be missing out on the hippest parts of the city IMO. I think it's unavoidable for a downtown resident who wants to frequent Queen W, Dundas W, Ossington, Trinity Bellwoods, Little Italy, parts of Parkdale, Leslieville, Riverdale, Distillery, Junction, etc. -- all of which are not really subway accessible. It's also very expensive to live right off the subway lines so it's not uncommon to have to change to a street car/bus to visit friends and family.

I find the Yonge/University line is really only good for the business and entertainment districts, Yorkville, and getting to/from all the North Toronto neighborhoods. The Bloor line is really good for getting to the Annex and Danforth and some West/East end neighborhoods. But to get anywhere else, which comprises most of downtown, I'd don't see how you can get around not hopping on a streetcar or bus. A downtown relief line can help change that but I don't think that's going to come in my lifetime.

Last edited by johnathanc; 06-03-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCWHYTHENSHAW View Post
It definitely is each to their own but Paris is an absolute sh**hole. I just can't fathom anyone that thinks it's in the top cities of the world.
Well this is helpful in explaining this thread. Who knew that Paris was "an absolute sh--hole"?

Let me guess, Kitchener is the greatest city on earth according to you? Or is it Saskatoon?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM

349 posts, read 488,744 times
Nope, the climate alone is a dealbreaker for me.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Melbourne is very similar to Toronto in many ways, but we have a decent climate and are near the coast. Someone once described Melbourne as a better version of Toronto. We have the natural cultural credentials and hipness of Montreal rolled into the diversity and financial prominence of Toronto. Also the longest light rail/tram network in the world.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I would argue living downtown Toronto does entail taking streetcars and buses to get around on a regular basis for many. I certainly did when I lived in the Annex back in the day, and even when I lived on St. Clair West. And I even take streetcars now when I go downtown, living off the Yonge line. Sure, one can theoretically survive on the subway line just fine but you'll be missing out on the hippest parts of the city IMO. I think it's unavoidable for a downtown resident who wants to frequent Queen W, Dundas W, Ossington, Trinity Bellwoods, Little Italy, parts of Parkdale, Leslieville, Riverdale, Distillery, Junction, etc. -- all of which are not really subway accessible. It's also very expensive to live right off the subway lines so it's not uncommon to have to change to a street car/bus to visit friends and family.

I find the Yonge/University line is really only good for the business and entertainment districts, Yorkville, and getting to/from all the North Toronto neighborhoods. The Bloor line is really good for getting to the Annex and Danforth and some West/East end neighborhoods. But to get anywhere else, which comprises most of downtown, I'd don't see how you can get around not hopping on a streetcar or bus. A downtown relief line can help change that but I don't think that's going to come in my lifetime.
^agreed. just depends on where you are going and your travel patterns.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
Nope, the climate alone is a dealbreaker for me.
Exactly, that's why I along with most people in the Northeast have no plans of moving to Australia anytime soon.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Melbourne is very similar to Toronto in many ways, but we have a decent climate and are near the coast. Someone once described Melbourne as a better version of Toronto. We have the natural cultural credentials and hipness of Montreal rolled into the diversity and financial prominence of Toronto. Also the longest light rail/tram network in the world.
Many people make the simplistic conclusion that Toronto is just diverse and economically focussed and that Montreal has the culture and 'hipness' because they need to make a distinction, yet Toronto is so much more than just diversity and business. Anyway - i'm weary of anyone who says one city is a 'better' version of the other to be honest.. Unless you know cities intimately I would avoid such generalizations or you just shoot yourself in the foot and of course there is simply individual preference... Anyone who says Toronto doesn't have a culture or identity simply doesn't know Toronto.

Toronto and hip? Why not..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle20488696/

Last edited by fusion2; 06-04-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Exactly, that's why I along with most people in the Northeast have no plans of moving to Australia anytime soon.
Melbourne isn't typical of Australia, but most people live along the coast in the Southeast with mild weather. Melbourne summers are actually similar to Portland or San Jose, and winters like SF. We do get heatwaves, but overally it's mild. Definitely a lot milder than the Northeastern US with it's freezing temps. I was locked out of home the other day...luckily my housemate came back, but if he hadn't and I was living in Minneapolis I may have frozen to death.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Melbourne isn't typical of Australia, but most people live along the coast in the Southeast with mild weather. Melbourne summers are actually similar to Portland or San Jose, and winters like SF. We do get heatwaves, but overally it's mild. Definitely a lot milder than the Northeastern US with it's freezing temps. I was locked out of home the other day...luckily my housemate came back, but if he hadn't and I was living in Minneapolis I may have frozen to death.
If you did live in Minneapolis or Toronto and got locked out of your house and it's dead of winter, you could:

1. Stay in your car
2. Go to the nearest coffee shop
3. Go to the amenities, indoor pool, gym, or indoor lounge room or winter garden if you live in a condo, like the majority people living in Toronto and other Canadian cities

And you got locked out the "other day"? This is already June, assuming the "other day" is May or April - average temperatures during those months are already 10-20 Celsius during the day, so you really wouldn't be "frozen to death". The number of people living in the Northeast U.S. and Southern Ontario/Quebec Canada is about 3x Australia's national population - more than 70 million combined population (not including Chicago and Midwest) cope and thrive with this "frozen to death" weather but seem to be doing quite well.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If you did live in Minneapolis or Toronto and got locked out of your house and it's dead of winter, you could:

1. Stay in your car
2. Go to the nearest coffee shop
3. Go to the amenities, indoor pool, gym, or indoor lounge room or winter garden if you live in a condo, like the majority people living in Toronto and other Canadian cities

And you got locked out the "other day"? This is already June, assuming the "other day" is May or April - average temperatures during those months are already 10-20 Celsius during the day, so you really wouldn't be "frozen to death". The number of people living in the Northeast U.S. and Southern Ontario/Quebec Canada is about 3x Australia's national population - more than 70 million combined population (not including Chicago and Midwest) cope and thrive with this "frozen to death" weather but seem to be doing quite well.
Except:

1. I don't have a car

2. I left my wallet INSIDE the house, I had no shoes or socks on.

It was when the pizza delivery guy came, didn't know exactly where my house was despite me explaining it to him (well it was dark and he couldn't see well), and it was also 10pm at night so everything was closed. It was about 5C at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto