Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
So by that measure, people should be flocking to migrate to Mississippi then, because it has higher than average median income according to some survey. I mean, why would anyone want to move to Berlin or New York or Singapore when you could go with the great state of Mississippi.

And Fort McMurray should be the biggest city in Canada and have 10 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,150,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And Fort McMurray should be the biggest city in Canada and have 10 million people.
Lol yep. Fort McMurray has the highest household median income in Canada ... $180,000. Where do I sign up? And where exactly is Fort McMurray??

Old 02-02-2015, 10:49 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times
Quote:
So by that measure, people should be flocking to migrate to Mississippi then, because it has higher than average median income according to some survey. I mean, why would anyone want to move to Berlin or New York or Singapore when you could go with the great state of Mississippi.
Actually, no, that makes no sense whatsoever. New York and Singapore are much richer than Mississippi. Mississippi is the poorest U.S. state and one of the least desirable (largely for this exact reason).

Berlin, however is poor, and not particularly desirable within Germany, similar to how Mississippi is not particularly desirable within the U.S.

And no one ever claimed that income is the ONLY measure of desirability. But clearly it's a major component of desirability, as proven by Mississippi vs. Massachusetts or wherever.
Quote:
Here's PwC's 2014 Cities of Opportunity Survey. It includes 10 categories, but "median income" is not one of them.
You seem to be digging yourself a deeper hole every time you post. First, the list has nothing to do with national desirability, it only concerns itself with city functionality. Second, the list contradicts your claims, and shows Anglosphere cities (London and NYC), not German cities, as the world's most functional.

Your claim was that Germany was clearly the most desirable place, yet you still haven't explained why. We know it isn't wealth or economy, and we know it isn't opportunity in cities. So what is it?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times
Quote:
Actually, no, that makes zero sense. Saying that "national wealth is relevant in comparing nations" is not the same as saying "Arctic outposts with outlandishly high contractor pay should henceforth house Canada's population".

Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You seem to be digging yourself a deeper hole every time you post. First, the list has nothing to do with national desirability, it only concerns itself with city functionality. Second, the list contradicts your claims, and shows Anglosphere cities (London and NYC), not German cities, as the world's most functional.

Your claim was that Germany was clearly the most desirable place, yet you still haven't explained why. We know it isn't wealth or economy, and we know it isn't opportunity in cities. So what is it?
I believe I already said very clearly in a previous post that that was a typo, and I meant to say one of the most desirable, instead of the most desirable. Of course there are many great places to live in this world, and Germany is just one of them.

Also, that is my personal preference, and I am by no means obliged to write a thesis paper to justify that to you.

Furthermore, please, this is just a discussion forum, and I respectfully ask you to avoid the condescending tone to demand answers from people.

Lastly, we are way off topic. This is a Toronto thread on a Toronto forum, not Mississippi, not Berlin. With that said, I am guilty for diverting the discussion away from the main topic by bringing up the Germany comparison in the first place.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM

It may not be a popular thing to say on here, but in my experience I find that the standard of living these days is actually pretty comparable for the average person across Canada and the U.S. There are the outliers at both ends of the scale but I know people all over the place and I wouldn't say there is a huge difference in prosperity.

Going out on a limb I'd even extend that to most of the western developed world.

Differences exist for sure, but they aren't that significant and are as often related to the personal choices people make as they are to the situations of the countries they live in.

Even the people I know who live in "borderline rich" countries like Greece, Argentina and Lebanon don't really have that different a standard of living from mine. (And no, the people I know aren't super rich élite people.)

Fire away, but that's really my observation.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Actually, no, that makes zero sense. Saying that "national wealth is relevant in comparing nations" is not the same as saying "Arctic outposts with outlandishly high contractor pay should henceforth house Canada's population".
I was exaggerating for effect, but still...

Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
It may not be a popular thing to say on here, but in my experience I find that the standard of living these days is actually pretty comparable for the average person across Canada and the U.S. There are the outliers at both ends of the scale but I know people all over the place and I wouldn't say there is a huge difference in prosperity.

Going out on a limb I'd even extend that to most of the western developed world.

Differences exist for sure, but they aren't that significant and are as often related to the personal choices people make as they are to the situations of the countries they live in.

Even the people I know who live in "borderline rich" countries like Greece, Argentina and Lebanon don't really have that different a standard of living from mine. (And no, the people I know aren't super rich élite people.)

Fire away, but that's really my observation.
Good post. Similar experiences here as well when I visit other countries in the developed world. There may be some slight differences in income or people's daily routines (e.g. taking public transit vs. driving) but for many middle class folks, the standards of living are fairly even. Most people have access to modern amenities, internet, TV, good public transport in large cities, supermarkets, etc.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Good post. Similar experiences here as well when I visit other countries in the developed world. There may be some slight differences in income or people's daily routines (e.g. taking public transit vs. driving) but for many middle class folks, the standards of living are fairly even. Most people have access to modern amenities, internet, TV, good public transport in large cities, supermarkets, etc.
I am used to it now, but this is one of the things that jumped out at me the most when I first started travelling internationally. I expected standards of living to vary by a much wider margin.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,654,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I remember he has lived in Germany.

Medium income is probably not a good measurement of livability. Median household income is about $37 in Mississippi, this compares with $35k in Hong Kong/Austria/Finland/Japan etc. Canada's number is only slightly higher at $40K. Singapore is about $32k, France/UK 31k.

In fact according to a Gallup research, only 10 countries have higher income (PPP) than what shows as Mississippi's income, the poorest state in the US. Or, one can say, if Mississippi were a country, it would be the 11th richest in the world.
What? You have your stats really wrong. Mississippi has a $37k household income (meaning 2 persons full-time employed). Finland, Japan, Austria etch have around $35k average per capita income (meaning 1 person full-time employed). In 2013 Finland had a median household income of $63.3k comparable to Massachusetts, the 6th wealthiest state in the US.

Mississippi would definitely not be the 11th richest economy in the world, lol, it would be the poorest region of Finland. The half of the median household income would mean annually €16 030, or €1333 a month, which is below our poverty level!

Jeez, do some of you actually believe we are some Greeks with no money up here? To make it even worse, the average unemployment subsidies adjusted for income is €1050 a month. Nobody in this country if not a kid would even work for 1333 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto