Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 31,651 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am confirmed moving to Toronto in July this year. I am Asian myself but I prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood so I can make friends of different cultures (Europeans and latinos etc..). I am still single so living in a neighborhood with many singles are important. I prefer living in a more quiet neighborhood now while in my 30's after living in downtown NYC in my 20's. But the neighborhood should be easily accessible to restaurents, nightlife and outdoor activities by car. I prefer driving. My work allow me to live anywhere. If you can think of a name of neighborhood like this, please let me know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
It's a little tricky balancing all that.

I would say singles are mostly concentrated in the areas near downtown.

There was actually a set of maps recently released related to that.

Generationed City | Where do young adults live?

Toronto's not as busy as New York though, Downtown Toronto is, but the surrounding neighbourhoods are more like Queens and still have a fair bit of young adults. You also have some areas with newer high-rise condos and townhouses (ex Humber Bay Shores and North York Centre) that are pretty quiet away from the main roads like Lakeshore, Yonge, Sheppard and Finch.

I would say North York Centre is probably the most diverse, it has a fair bit of Chinese, Persians, Russians, Jews, Italians, Brits, Koreans, Filipinos and Indians.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of access to outdoor activities by car? In many cases you'd have to drive a couple hours to get something truly more interesting than what's in city parks and ravines.

Maybe the neighbourhoods around Caledonia or Dufferin from Castlefield to Dundas or so? The mix there is more Portuguese, Anglo, Italians, Asians and a few from other groups.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Brampton.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It's a little tricky balancing all that.

I would say singles are mostly concentrated in the areas near downtown.

There was actually a set of maps recently released related to that.

Generationed City | Where do young adults live?
then map mistakenly lists the 510 streetcar as "rapid transit" when it is anything but "rapid" - slower than regular buses, and definitely slower than biking.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then map mistakenly lists the 510 streetcar as "rapid transit" when it is anything but "rapid" - slower than regular buses, and definitely slower than biking.
Hey Botti, not sure if you've driven on the 510 route on Spadina. I have. Many times. And I'd take the 510 streetcar any day (esp the new streetcars) over driving. There are many times where I've seen streetcar zoom past me down Spadina while we sit in our cars for minutes at a time due to congestion. The 510 at least has ROW and priority signaling which makes a world difference.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator84 View Post
Hello all,

I am confirmed moving to Toronto in July this year. I am Asian myself but I prefer to live in a diverse neighborhood so I can make friends of different cultures (Europeans and latinos etc..). I am still single so living in a neighborhood with many singles are important. I prefer living in a more quiet neighborhood now while in my 30's after living in downtown NYC in my 20's. But the neighborhood should be easily accessible to restaurents, nightlife and outdoor activities by car. I prefer driving. My work allow me to live anywhere. If you can think of a name of neighborhood like this, please let me know. Thank you.
first if you like quietness, you will like Toronto. The whole city including downtown is pretty quiet except for a handful of commercial spots such as Yonge/Dundas area. There is no worry about that - there is nothing that's as busy, crowded and noisy as downtown Manhattan. Our busy downtown Yonge or Queen west is more like Georgetown DC, than anything like Manhattan. So no worry about that.

If you want diversity, then avoid areas close to the Yonge line, such as between Avenue Road and Leslie st. Or the beaches area in the east end. Despite Toronto's diverse demographic, this area probably has 85%+ white Anglo-saxons. Avoid northern Scarborough or Markham too as all you see is East Asian faces, mostly Chinese.

If you prefer driving, then you will fit right in Toronto, except the downtown part, which is 4% of the city or 1% of GTA. Everywhere else, it is the car car car. To make you more comfortable, Toronto doesn't have a single pedestrian only street, so you get an idea of how much people love cars. Traffic is horrible though, just like other car dominated city such as Los Angeles.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Hey Botti, not sure if you've driven on the 510 route on Spadina. I have. Many times. And I'd take the 510 streetcar any day (esp the new streetcars) over driving. There are many times where I've seen streetcar zoom past me down Spadina while we sit in our cars for minutes at a time due to congestion. The 510 at least has ROW and priority signaling which makes a world difference.
I prefer taking the streetcar too over driving, but are you denying that the 510 is NOT rapid? Are you denying you will be much faster if you ride a bike? That was my comment. I never said driving is faster.

Rapid transit SHOULD NOT be slower than biking and rapid transit doesn't stop every 200 meters in additional to every red light.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I prefer taking the streetcar too over driving, but are you denying that the 510 is NOT rapid? Are you denying you will be much faster if you ride a bike? That was my comment. I never said driving is faster.

Rapid transit SHOULD NOT be slower than biking and rapid transit doesn't stop every 200 meters in additional to every red light.
Alright so 510 is not rapid transit, and the map is wrong. God calm down.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Alright so 510 is not rapid transit, and the map is wrong. God calm down.
He didn't have his cuppa joe today

Portugal is coming soon too so he should be more revitalized upon return

Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,721,719 times
Maybe try the area around Bathurst and St. Clair? Pretty diverse (lots of Jews, Italians, Portuguese, Filipinos, Jamaicans - but fewer Chinese or South Asians than other Toronto areas). There's a sizeable young adult population. It has decent transit access, but lots of people drive. Lots of restaurants along St. Clair. Decent for parks (Cedarvale Ravine especially).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto