Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am moving to Toronto next year for either Ryerson or University of Toronto. Where would be a good area for me to live that is not too far from the University, but is cheap, good public transportation and is a safer area. I want something decent to live in so my family can visit me. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juveomar View Post
Hey guys I am moving to Toronto next year for either Ryerson or University of Toronto. Where would be a good area for me to live that is not too far from the University, but is cheap, good public transportation and is a safer area. I want something decent to live in so my family can visit me. Any ideas?
There are TONS of apartments in the DT core right beside Ryerson and even the U of T has plenty of options including basement apt's..

This link is to Ryerson's student apartments..

Toronto student apartments private off campus university housing : CampusCommon

Also try viewit.ca for apartment listings in T.O.

Toronto is a safe city... I wouldn't really worry too much about area though I would stay clear of Dundas/Sherbourne area in the Downtown core area.. Honestly, there is no need for you to live far away from whatever Uni you choose and you should be able to find an affordable option you're looking for.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM

287 posts, read 306,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are TONS of apartments in the DT core right beside Ryerson and even the U of T has plenty of options including basement apt's..

This link is to Ryerson's student apartments..

Toronto student apartments private off campus university housing : CampusCommon

Also try viewit.ca for apartment listings in T.O.

Toronto is a safe city... I wouldn't really worry too much about area though I would stay clear of Dundas/Sherbourne area in the Downtown core area.. Honestly, there is no need for you to live far away from whatever Uni you choose and you should be able to find an affordable option you're looking for.
How wants it cheap, that will be a deal breaker for most of the places in his desired area

Old 02-13-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
How wants it cheap, that will be a deal breaker for most of the places in his desired area
There are a plethora of cheap apratments/basement apartments in the DT core.. What is considered cheap for a bachelor or 1 bdrm apartment in a large city for you? Not a small city which won't have large caliber Uni's - I'm talking about a large Canamerican city where you can find an apartment largely in walking distance to a DT core school? The guy wouldn't even need to buy a Metropass so his transportation costs very likely ZERO dollars....

Remember a student doesn't need a 2 bdrm 1000 sq ft apt...

Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 PM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
dang I wanna go to Toronto.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Here are a few more apartment finder website that might help you;

[url=http://www.RentSeeker.ca]Apartments for rent in Toronto and across Canada - RentSeeker.ca[/url]
[url=http://www.Kijiji.ca]Kijiji: Free Classifieds in Canada. Find a job, buy a car, find a house or apartment, furniture, appliances and more![/url]
[url=http://www.Realstar.ca]Home Page - Realstar[/url]

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by Mickey75; 03-02-2015 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Text came out a bit funny....

Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
dang I wanna go to Toronto.
can we trade places?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:00 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are a plethora of cheap apratments/basement apartments in the DT core.. What is considered cheap for a bachelor or 1 bdrm apartment in a large city for you? Not a small city which won't have large caliber Uni's - I'm talking about a large Canamerican city where you can find an apartment largely in walking distance to a DT core school? The guy wouldn't even need to buy a Metropass so his transportation costs very likely ZERO dollars....

Remember a student doesn't need a 2 bdrm 1000 sq ft apt...
living downtown Toronto can be incredibly cheap.
I used to pay $400 a month including everything. I still have student friends who pay less than $500 a month on rent.

Complaining about "high rent" in Toronto is stupid.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I used to pay $400 a month including everything. I still have student friends who pay less than $500 a month on rent.

Ditto. Thanks to the plethora of new condos coming online every year, I think rent in Toronto will continue to be relatively affordable compared with other large cities around the world.

I was recently in Stockholm, where there's a severe shortage in rental housing supply, to the point where the government is rationing rental supply and the current wait time to get a first-hand lease on a rental apartment in central Stockholm is approximately 20 years (and Stockholm is only 1/3 of GTA's population). So people, Toronto isn't so bad when it comes to housing. Far from it.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto