Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 5,257,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think LHR has a similar service to UPX aside from the tube right? I chose the tube to get to the city centre but it was an hour long and totally jam packed.. Not very comfortable and in retrospect I probably should have just done their UPX equiv which was priced about the same if not a bit more than UPX.. I'm hoping the Eglintong Crosstown makes a connection to Pearson in the future! That'll be the affordable rail connection to the city and airport.. In the meantime - UPX is certainly a much needed and good thing for the city and the banner of the city not being connected to its airport by rail can no longer be used - finally.
Yeah the LHR express is typically around 21-26 quid, depending on the type of pass you get. The tube to Zone 1 is a little under 6 quid. Depending on where you were staying I could see the Tube taking that long. I lived in Zone 1 on the Jubilee line and it would take a little under 1 hr, door to door after 1 transfer. The LHR express would maybe shave 15minutes in total off that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,658,389 times
I arrived in London ON Xmas day, the only day the underground doesn't work, so I had to take the more expensive Heathrow express. Very fast and convenient, although the price a bit steep.

I don't know why people complain about the UPe. If you think $19 is too expensive, you can still take the traditional subway + bus. What's so bad about having one option? UPx brings one to downtown in 25 minutes with only two stops and runs every 15 minutes, and I don't think $19 is insanely expensive. Are we honestly saying after spending $$$$ on a trip, we can't afford $19 to save 45-50 minutes to get home? Come on. Plus, if you travel in 2 or 3, it is always cheap to just take a taxi door to door.

I am excited about its opening. I will have another trip in May-June and one in Oct. Can't wait to experience its speed and convenience. Bye bye Rocket 192, I am really sick of you!

Incidentally, does anyone know its schedule? One of my return flight will likely be very late (past midnight) and I am not sure if it will operate as long as there are still flights in and out of the city.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I arrived in London ON Xmas day, the only day the underground doesn't work, so I had to take the more expensive Heathrow express. Very fast and convenient, although the price a bit steep.

I don't know why people complain about the UPe. If you think $19 is too expensive, you can still take the traditional subway + bus. What's so bad about having one option? UPx brings one to downtown in 25 minutes with only two stops and runs every 15 minutes, and I don't think $19 is insanely expensive. Are we honestly saying after spending $$$$ on a trip, we can't afford $19 to save 45-50 minutes to get home? Come on. Plus, if you travel in 2 or 3, it is always cheap to just take a taxi door to door.

I am excited about its opening. I will have another trip in May-June and one in Oct. Can't wait to experience its speed and convenience. Bye bye Rocket 192, I am really sick of you!

Incidentally, does anyone know its schedule? One of my return flight will likely be very late (past midnight) and I am not sure if it will operate as long as there are still flights in and out of the city.
I agree Botticelli.... Not everyone is looking for a 3 dollar transit option... For those of us travelling.. After a long flight paying 19 or even 27 bucks to just get comfortably from the airport to DT and on to hotel or home is a small price to pay!!

Not sure about the sched yet... Should be on Metrolinx website though...

Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM

I dont think anyone is saying they will have to pass up eating for a few days due to the new service. Just that it would be nice to have a direct subway connection to Pearson one day, thats it.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I dont think anyone is saying they will have to pass up eating for a few days due to the new service. Just that it would be nice to have a direct subway connection to Pearson one day, thats it.
Oh agreed and it would be great if we had the same type of services in the city as your LHR's of the world... With that said some people just look at it as a glass half empty situation as opposed to half full so I get what Botti is saying.. Its a step in the right direction and after being for so long dissapointed that no rail option exists this is a good thing.. If anything I think there is a sort of resurgence in the city for getting our act together within the PT realm so lets hope each victory like UP and Crosstown/Metrolinx is a catalyst for more so that in 20, 30 years we can say now we have a PT system that warrants the stature of Canada's largest.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh agreed and it would be great if we had the same type of services in the city as your LHR's of the world... With that said some people just look at it as a glass half empty situation as opposed to half full so I get what Botti is saying.. Its a step in the right direction and after being for so long dissapointed that no rail option exists this is a good thing.. If anything I think there is a sort of resurgence in the city for getting our act together within the PT realm so lets hope each victory like UP and Crosstown/Metrolinx is a catalyst for more so that in 20, 30 years we can say now we have a PT system that warrants the stature of Canada's largest.
Agreed all around. I will use it next time I am in town definitely, unless I take Porter downtown like has been the case recently. This is a good service and it adds to the PT toolbox that every major city needs to continually develop.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,658,389 times
Quote:
of course, but that's a different matter. Toronto's pathetically small rapid transit system doesn't even need to be repeated... We don't have direct subway connection to many many important places, such as Queen West, Chinatown, Little Italy, St Lawrence Market, Kensington Market, the waterfront, the beaches, among others.

To put things in perspective, Toronto's total length of metro system is similar to Kiev and Bucharest (with 2-3 million metro population) and Caracas, Venezuela Sorry still can't help it.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Agreed all around. I will use it next time I am in town definitely, unless I take Porter downtown like has been the case recently. This is a good service and it adds to the PT toolbox that every major city needs to continually develop.
For some reason back in the 70's the growing metropolis of Toronto just decided that Mass transit was a bad thing and highways/suburban sprawl something good... As far as I'm concerned it was the BIGGEST mistake of our development as a metro to not follow the models of cities where Mass Transit and densification were at the heart of growth.. We're moving in the right direction now but it'll take several decades of work.. I think we are doing it because we are forced to due to geographic constraints as opposed to 'visionary' leadership and a populace that supports it.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

To put things in perspective, Toronto's total length of metro system is similar to Kiev and Bucharest (with 2-3 million metro population) and Caracas, Venezuela Sorry still can't help it.
Caracas isn't a small city though - I think they are around 5-6 million as well but in a more dense package than the GTA.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-05-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,157,487 times
Some updated pictures of the UPX train and stations. Looks pretty awesome, and electrification on the line is set to begin immediately after Panam Games, as the province has already cleared all environmental assessment hurdles last month. The great thing about electrification is that it won't just benefit UPX, but also the GO Train running in parallel. Honestly, this is $500 million well-spent, and the project was actually completed in less than 4 years. And I'm glad this is handled directly by Metrolinx and the province (god knows what would happen if TTC/City Council had their say):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto