U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fundamentally, Toronto is more like ...
Chicago 43 61.43%
Vancouver 27 38.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,721,515 times

Advertisements

Is there a discussion of Toronto that doesn't involve construction numbers for glass condo boxes? I don't get it. They have nothing to do with city-building.

If Toronto is Chicago's equal or isn't is worth debating, I suppose, but this constant "city A has X buildings u/c at Y Meters" is complete nonsense. It has nothing at all to do with a city's worth. No city on earth became great because of condo construction. People love and visit Venice, Florence, Paris, etc. No one is traveling to Doha or Guangzhou to marvel at condo boxes for sketchy foreign money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,661,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Is there a discussion of Toronto that doesn't involve construction numbers for glass condo boxes? I don't get it. They have nothing to do with city-building.

If Toronto is Chicago's equal or isn't is worth debating, I suppose, but this constant "city A has X buildings u/c at Y Meters" is complete nonsense. It has nothing at all to do with a city's worth. No city on earth became great because of condo construction. People love and visit Venice, Florence, Paris, etc. No one is traveling to Doha or Guangzhou to marvel at condo boxes for sketchy foreign money.
If you don't think this is worthy of discussion, then by all means, no one is begging you to comment. There are plenty of threads under the Toronto forum that are about a range of other topics.

Also, name a building that's currently under construction that can squarely fit under the "condo box" description - last time I checked many buildings currently proposed or under construction have a wide variety of designs, heights, and architectural styles. Toronto is a business oriented city North American city - why on earth should it try to emulate Florence or Venice? That would be cheap and hideous copying.

Pray tell us, what are some of the exemplary architecture recently constructed in your city LA?

These discussions revolve around high rise construction because it IS a priority topic for the city of Toronto - over 100,000 new immigrants move to Toronto on an annual basis. Building affordable housing is a top municipal priority and impacts the lives of millions of residents in this city, so why shouldn't it be actively discussed and debated? And how is it not "city-building" - when we are actively building new living environments for the hundreds of thousands of new residents moving here every year?

What a ridiculous comment that reeks of sour grapes.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM

12,892 posts, read 12,746,257 times
Someone did badly in the easter egg hunt this year....

Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 14,912 times
Default now it is clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Toronto = Queens, NY + Chicago

Vancouver = Seattle + San Gabriel Valley, CA

The end.
ths

Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 14,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Is Toronto more like Victoria BC or Providence RI?
North East, East, North west - are very much like the Providence, RI with less Shooting, more south Asian things.
In the Mid town, some isolated streets, blocks, you can feel similarities to the Victoria BC, but housing is 4 million up.
North, West, mid class living, boring, housing squeezed shoulder to shoulder, but clean.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,807,196 times
Quote:

actually I don't agree.

The good thing about this condo boom is that most of the new construction happens in the central city (downtown and old Toronto near transit), which means it brings a lot of density to the urban centre in the next few years, and following that more retail and small restaurants of different sorts. Condos and glass towers themselves probably don't have much to do with whether a city is livable or pleasant, I agree, but for North American cities, more density and pedestrian traffic definitely does.

What I hate most about most NA cities is that a very small percentage of people live in the city center, mostly students and singles in their 20s, or the poor, while most of the population live in the utter suburbs (as if it is such a superior and default way of decent living), and downtown becomes a deserted place outside office house. Toronto right now is doing everything against that trend and brings more and more residents near the core, which is fantastic and makes it superior to most typical North American cities such as Atlanta or Calgary.

I think a great measurement of a city's vibrancy and urbanity is the number of grocery shops in the city center. In cities like Toronto, there are like hundreds of them. You can't not see one by walking at most 10 minutes. In the other extremity, in cities like Los Angeles, downtown is still waiting for its first grocery store (or the 2nd, I am not absolutely sure).

Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 AM

3,751 posts, read 4,292,135 times
Quote:

Let's be honest, are the hideous worn-out 60s-70s-80s-90s skyscrapers in America in deserted commercial downtowns so preferable to the glass towers in Toronto?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,434,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Let's be honest, are the hideous worn-out 60s-70s-80s-90s skyscrapers in America in deserted commercial downtowns so preferable to the glass towers in Toronto?
lol

Old 04-09-2015, 02:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,834,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
You apparently did not visit US cities in a while? US cities the last 10-20 years have had renewal of its dBig City Downtowns after years of declines? Downtowns have been bouncing back with in some downtowns...... 10s of thousands of new residents. NYC especially but Chicago too even Philly has been Washington DC Seattle and most others. L

Just for CHICAGO'S downtown is very vibrant again. With also neighborhoods all around downtown gentrified with new life.

.....Living downtown CHICAGO'S renewal....
...old warehouses..High-End living in......Busy
......Now lofts ...........skyscrapers ....Millennium Park
....River North........STREETERVILLE.....downtown
Attached Thumbnails
Is Toronto more like Chicago or Vancouver?-river-north-chicago.jpg   Is Toronto more like Chicago or Vancouver?-chicago-near-north-gold-coast-distance.jpg   Is Toronto more like Chicago or Vancouver?-.chicagos-millenium-park_.jpg  

Old 04-09-2015, 06:34 PM

365 posts, read 308,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If you don't think this is worthy of discussion, then by all means, no one is begging you to comment. There are plenty of threads under the Toronto forum that are about a range of other topics.

Also, name a building that's currently under construction that can squarely fit under the "condo box" description - last time I checked many buildings currently proposed or under construction have a wide variety of designs, heights, and architectural styles. Toronto is a business oriented city North American city - why on earth should it try to emulate Florence or Venice? That would be cheap and hideous copying.

Pray tell us, what are some of the exemplary architecture recently constructed in your city LA?

These discussions revolve around high rise construction because it IS a priority topic for the city of Toronto - over 100,000 new immigrants move to Toronto on an annual basis. Building affordable housing is a top municipal priority and impacts the lives of millions of residents in this city, so why shouldn't it be actively discussed and debated? And how is it not "city-building" - when we are actively building new living environments for the hundreds of thousands of new residents moving here every year?

What a ridiculous comment that reeks of sour grapes.
LA has gotten a few good projects recently. Frank Gehry and Morphosis are likely the most prominent contemporary architects based in Los Angeles. But it's true, LA hasn't gone vertical yet. The city has been trying to avoid doing so for nearly a hundred years. I think that the downtown area will see more highrises come in the next decade though.

A lot of people mistakenly believe that LA's urban environment is flat because of earthquakes. This is absolutely not true. Steel frame and reinforced concrete construction (while not earthquake proof) are earthquake resistant, and these construction technologies have been around for many many decades and only continue to get better.

LA city leaders made the deliberate decision in the 1920s (during the city's 2nd major real estate boom) that the City of Angels would not go the way of NYC and Chicago to become a city of dark and cold skyscraper canyons.

Los Angeles had the year round sun and warmth that NYC and Chicago lacked and LA city leaders new that it was one of the biggest draws for east coast and midwestern migrants. So they decided to embrace their bright and warm climate and and spread outwards - not only taking advantage of the light but also the possibility to cultivate flora from all over the world in their climate.

I was on an art deco architecture tour in downtown los angeles with the LA conservancy last year and a woman from New York (a recent transplant to Socal) kept marveling at the diversity in the types of plants she saw growing in people's front yards all over the city. I thought her remarks were odd at first because I never really paid attention before - but coming from the North Eastern US where only certain types of plants can tolerate the harsher climate it was something that definitely stood out to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto