U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fundamentally, Toronto is more like ...
Chicago 43 61.43%
Vancouver 27 38.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:48 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,740,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Let's be honest, are the hideous worn-out 60s-70s-80s-90s skyscrapers in America in deserted commercial downtowns so preferable to the glass towers in Toronto?
Clearly no, but I don't think anyone is comparing Toronto to Tulsa or Memphis or something. Toronto is vastly better than the half-abandoned type downtowns in the U.S. with the worn-out 60's-era bank buildings and pockmarked parking lots.

But that isn't the same thing as saying that Toronto's core is comparable to that of Chicago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 02:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,923,823 times
^ But Toronto's core IS comparable to Chicago's. Anyone reasonable person who has seen both would easily arrive at that conclusion.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 AM

3,751 posts, read 4,299,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Clearly no, but I don't think anyone is comparing Toronto to Tulsa or Memphis or something. Toronto is vastly better than the half-abandoned type downtowns in the U.S. with the worn-out 60's-era bank buildings and pockmarked parking lots.

But that isn't the same thing as saying that Toronto's core is comparable to that of Chicago.
I guess Chicago is a bigger city, and it's been bigger longer than Toronto. I actually like Toronto better. Parts of Chicago are shockingly ugly.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 4,299,309 times
US downtowns have improved a little bit since 1995 but some of them have barely got better at all. Downtown Columbus for example is shocking deserted and downright scary.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 AM

12,892 posts, read 12,765,946 times
Quote:
I guess Chicago is a bigger city, and it's been bigger longer than Toronto. I actually like Toronto better. Parts of Chicago are shockingly ugly.
Chicago anchors a larger metro area but the city itself is slightly less populated than Toronto.. You'd have to go pretty far out of Chicago's urban area for it to be larger than Toronto's urban area and at that point its largely suburban low density sprawl that really isn't too 'city' like anymore.. There is no suburd in the Chicago Urban area outside the city core that is as dense or populous as Mississauga for example. Toronto even has more census tracts with population densities greater than 30K people per sq mile than Chicago so bigger in this case is relative to what is being measured.

//www.city-data.com/forum/26233867-post2105.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga

In some cases, Chicago is larger and in others Toronto is.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-11-2015 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 AM

47 posts, read 82,433 times
Quote:
Let's be honest, are the hideous worn-out 60s-70s-80s-90s skyscrapers in America in deserted commercial downtowns so preferable to the glass towers in Toronto?
The only thing I think a tourist would come to see in Toronto is that "CN Tower" after that. Tourist wise, I haven't seen anything else that's a draw for someone to come and see. Hence I don't think Toronto is a huge tourist destination as compared to many American cities it's size.

Chicago has a lot of history from the days of Al Capone and the Mobb, to it's world famous sports teams the Chicago Bears and the famous "Soldier Field", Chicago Bulls (Michael Jordan) they have a statue of him outside the United Center where the Bulls play. Chicago WhiteSox and Chicago Cubs, legendary Chicago Cubs field that has been preserved through time. Famous Cubs sports announcer, Harry Carey (1,2,3 strikes your out at the old ballgame). Chicago WhiteSox are more your working class folks on the Southside of Chicago, and Chicago Cubs more the guys in the Oxford shirts, White Collar folks. I'm a big sports guy, so I know a lot about sports and background. Chicago also known for it's "Deep Dish Pizza." Then you can throw in the Sears Tower as well as an attraction, and Cloud Gate "That shiny sculpture that everybody loves to check out."

Toronto is a nice city, but it doesn't have any personality. I have no idea what Toronto is known for, or anything that's distinct about it. All those condos do give it a unique look, but that's not really anything you'd go to Toronto to see. Toronto does have the whole "Diversity" thing going for it. Can't go 5 minutes without somebody from there claiming that, and that's definitely a good thing.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post

Toronto is a nice city, but it doesn't have any personality. I have no idea what Toronto is known for, or anything that's distinct about it. All those condos do give it a unique look, but that's not really anything you'd go to Toronto to see. Toronto does have the whole "Diversity" thing going for it. Can't go 5 minutes without somebody from there claiming that, and that's definitely a good thing.
Toronto has tons of history/attractions/things to do for a tourist... Its there for the learning and experiencing for those actually interested in exploring as opposed to making assumptions that things don't exist due to ignorance. Its not up to Toronto to fill in the blanks for everyone with a narrow mind - its up to those with an open mind to fill in the blanks about what Toronto has to offer.

With that said - you do realize Toronto gets more International visitors to it than Chicago does..

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,570,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto has tons of history/attractions/things to do for a tourist... Its there for the learning and experiencing for those actually interested in exploring as opposed to making assumptions that things don't exist due to ignorance. Its not up to Toronto to fill in the blanks for everyone with a narrow mind - its up to those with an open mind to fill in the blanks about what Toronto has to offer.

With that said - you do realize Toronto gets more International visitors to it than Chicago does..
LOL. What's the point man?

We all need to realize that tourists either overrate or underrate the cities they visit. A visit hardly gives you a true reflection of a city similar to a local. Some cities do jump out at you depending on your interests more than others. I am sure we are all guilty of this from time to time.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
LOL. What's the point man?

We all need to realize that tourists either overrate or underrate the cities they visit. A visit hardly gives you a true reflection of a city similar to a local. Some cities do jump out at you depending on your interests more than others. I am sure we are all guilty of this from time to time.
No its true but i'm looking at where its coming from.. A particular poster who used to sing the praises about Toronto back in 2009 but yet in 2015 its only attraction is the CN Tower - coincidentally enough after said poster had some bad experiences with women in Toronto.

//www.city-data.com/forum/9616685-post11.html

Seriously, about as much credibility as a Glacier on the sun...
Anyway, I agree there's little point and that was the point of my post.. It wasn't meant for the Laser's of the world but for those who may give the city more of an open minded look. Its not even meant to compare one city vs the other just to say hey - this is a damned ridiculously short sighted post about Toronto so if you do visit the city - give it more of a look and research things about it that may interest you instead of just blindly listening to someone who thinks all women in Toronto suck and the only thing interesting about it is probably the most uninteresting thing about it!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-15-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM

1,669 posts, read 3,923,823 times
Oy vey. It's easy to think a city has "no personality" when you know next to nothing about it, especially when you're comparing it to a city that you're intimately familiar with and attached to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto