U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fundamentally, Toronto is more like ...
Chicago 43 61.43%
Vancouver 27 38.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,483,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Botti, let's take out Asia Pacific (China) for future comparisons... No one can ever hope to match China's mega cities in this time continuum

I think Toronto is a fairly large city already by North American and European standards. There's not too many cities in the western developed world that has 6+ million people. Not to mention that Toronto's growing at a very fast pace. I was listening to CBC the other day, which did a special report on "Toronto 2025" that projected the GTA to add another 1.5 million people in the next 10 years, set to reach 7.5 million by 2025.
but the list has only 3 Chinese cities, including Hong Kong that are above Toronto. There are more Indian cities (8) instead.

If you only include North America, South America and Europe, and exclude the entire Asia (Japan and Korea included) and other areas, Toronto is still only no. 20 it seems. I see no reason cities like Rio or Buenos Aires should be excluded.

Of course this list not complete. For example, Guangzhou, with a similar geographical size as GTA, has 15 million yet is nowhere in the list.

Honestly, Toronto is not such a big city. Why can't people can't accept it.

Glad GTA is growing strong, as it should. That doesn't surprise me as for immigrants including many Canadians from elsewhere looking for a career, there is really not a better alternative to go to. I hope it will have 10 million people within the next 20 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM

2,831 posts, read 2,582,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
but the list has only 3 Chinese cities, including Hong Kong that are above Toronto. There are more Indian cities (8) instead.

If you only include North America, South America and Europe, and exclude the entire Asia (Japan and Korea included) and other areas, Toronto is still only no. 20 it seems. I see no reason cities like Rio or Buenos Aires should be excluded.

Of course this list not complete. For example, Guangzhou, with a similar geographical size as GTA, has 15 million yet is nowhere in the list.

Glad GTA is growing strong, as it should. That doesn't surprise me as for immigrants including many Canadians from elsewhere looking for a career, there is really not a better alternative to go to. I hope it will have 10 million people within the next 20 years.
Considering that GTA will have 7.5 million by 2025 in 10 years, I think it's safe to assume that it will approach 9-10 million by 2035.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:43 AM

464 posts, read 379,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Toronto is a huge city!!! I'm pretty sure it's similar in size to Chicago now and is the 4th largest metro in North America.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:26 PM

10,847 posts, read 12,483,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Toronto is a huge city!!! I'm pretty sure it's similar in size to Chicago now and is the 4th largest metro in North America.
And North America only accounts for 7.5% of the world population in case you didn't know.

Toronto would be the 22nd largest city in Asia, the 14th largest in the Americas, and the 7th largest in Europe. I wouldn't call it "huge".

Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,108,973 times
Laser is obviously a troll.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 PM

12,893 posts, read 12,447,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Considering that GTA will have 7.5 million by 2025 in 10 years, I think it's safe to assume that it will approach 9-10 million by 2035.
I think you hit it when you said that Toronto is large especially for a western city... I see where Botti is coming from but there are thousands - probably 10's of thousands of cities in the world so a ranking of 53rd largest urban area in the world qualifies as a large city.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,759,155 times
Not another one. Same arguments by the same 4 people. Nothing I can add for sure. Enjoy.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Not another one. Same arguments by the same 4 people. Nothing I can add for sure. Enjoy.
which same 4 people and which arguments..

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM

2,831 posts, read 2,582,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Give yourself wayyyy too much credit. And no, no one is actively soliciting your comments.

But just for our humor, go on, tell us how much Toronto sucks and how Chicago is better in every way.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Toronto is technically a larger city proper than Chicago and is actually densifying at a more rapid clip - that is more people are concentrating in the Toronto city proper than Chicago city proper. With that said, as an urban area Chicago is larger.. It sprawls out considerable more but with that comes a lot of loooow density infil the further out it goes. In terms of 'meaningful' urban areas of density they are actually fairly even.. Overall growth rate advantage goes to Toronto's urban area and it has been closing on Chicago for a few decades now.. If things continue along the same trajectory the GTA could very well be a more populous urban area than Chicago by 2050.. Certainly as a dense city proper Toronto is already well on its way to being a more dense 'city' but Chicago does indeed anchor a larger metropolis and will so for several more decades. Of course the further into the future you go - the more the waters become muddy in terms of projections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto