Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 AM

659 posts, read 898,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer reign View Post
No worries. I'm researching the www.cic.gc.ca website and going to visit the Consulate.

I WILL find a way to get there. Come hell or high water.

Thank you for inspiring me.
It sounds like you have the drive to make it happen. It might be a lot of work and take longer than you want, but hang in there, and keep moving towards it.

If you ever feel frustrated with the whole process, take a deep breathe, and watch this video:

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/30788720[/vimeo]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 03:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer reign View Post
Yes Sir!
You're dismissed

Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I haven't posted an update in a while. I got the apartment on Avenue Road near Lawrence West, Lytton Park neighbourhood. My stuff is leaving in a truck on the 27th and I'm driving there within a couple of days. I'll probably be in my new place on the 29th. And my truck will arrive early the following week.

I'm down to 3 job prospects at the final round of interviews. One company said they want to meet me in person before making an offer. I plan to go there in person on Monday 6/1 but I might have another offer before then and I might have to make a choice. It's hard to tell right now. I was hoping to have it all finalized before the move but it just wasn't happening. Since I got an apartment and a real move date I've been getting contacted almost every day. If none of the current job prospects work out I have enough savings to get by for a couple of months if it comes down to it.

I'm still working out the final details of the trip. It's next week. Next week I'm moving to another country.

5 months later.

I quit both of my jobs, left Boston, and moved into my new place on the last night of May. None of the job prospects before the move worked out and I spent the entire summer job hunting, and living off my life savings. Life savings started to run out. Started living off credit cards. I started to worry about the basics.

I started working this week! Finally. I now have a good job that I love (so far) and I'm making 50% more than I did before. I would be doing great financially, but right now I have make up for several months with no income.

For the first time since I moved here, I finally feel like I really have a life here. I've had many things to do to get established here but getting a job was the big one. I finally feel like I can celebrate the fact that I made this transition and now I live in the place I dreamed about.

Almost. I still have to register my car in Ontario! I was supposed to do it within 60 days. It's going to fail inspection because the engine light is on. But now I can actually afford to get it fixed and registered.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
5 months later.

I quit both of my jobs, left Boston, and moved into my new place on the last night of May. None of the job prospects before the move worked out and I spent the entire summer job hunting, and living off my life savings. Life savings started to run out. Started living off credit cards. I started to worry about the basics.

I started working this week! Finally. I now have a good job that I love (so far) and I'm making 50% more than I did before. I would be doing great financially, but right now I have make up for several months with no income.

For the first time since I moved here, I finally feel like I really have a life here. I've had many things to do to get established here but getting a job was the big one. I finally feel like I can celebrate the fact that I made this transition and now I live in the place I dreamed about.

Almost. I still have to register my car in Ontario! I was supposed to do it within 60 days. It's going to fail inspection because the engine light is on. But now I can actually afford to get it fixed and registered.

This is really wonderful news Christina! You took a big risk and ultimately it paid off for you.. Usually things don't happen all at once and always in fits and starts.. That is why persistence and patience pays off and your posts are a reminder of that. I admire the guts it took to do what you did and you've come a long way since your initial posts in the Toronto forum

Old 10-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is really wonderful news Christina! You took a big risk and ultimately it paid off for you.. Usually things don't happen all at once and always in fits and starts.. That is why persistence and patience pays off and your posts are a reminder of that. I admire the guts it took to do what you did and you've come a long way since your initial posts in the Toronto forum
I was a rough start here, but I knew it would be, and would work out eventually. I'm glad I made the decision and stuck to it. It was a now or never kind of thing. If I didn't take the plunge when I did, I would have probably just stayed in the rut I was in, existing in a place where I wasn't happy and not really living. And probably growing old wondering "what if". Things are turning around now but I still have to be patient. Now I have steady income, I'm building credit, and eventually I'll be able to live the life I want. In the place I've always wanted to be.

I keep thinking that "homesickness" is going to kick in. Then I realize that I had it my whole life, until now.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:36 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Hey glad it worked out for you! Sometimes you have to just bite the bullet and take a running jump at life. The few scrapes you endured will be worth it, believe me.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 PM

I got my car inspected (it passed!) and registered a couple of weeks ago. Now I don't have to drive around feeling funny about the Massachusetts plates.

One more thing I have to do is get my Canadian passport. I have a valid U.S. passport but don't intend to use it again (dual citizenship). I have a trip to New Orleans planned in March, so I have to get it taken care of. I have the paperwork and picture but need a Canadian guarantor. One of my relatives in Nova Scotia will sign for me.

Next spring I have to file taxes in both countries. That's going to suck.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 PM

It's been almost 8 months and I still pause for a minute at least once a day and think "I moved to Toronto. I really did it." I like where I live, I found a good job, I'm making friends, and I'm happy. Sometimes I look at pictures of Boston and try to stir up a feeling of nostalgia but it's just not there. It's weird. I spent my life there and I don't even miss it a little.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:38 PM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
It's been almost 8 months and I still pause for a minute at least once a day and think "I moved to Toronto. I really did it." I like where I live, I found a good job, I'm making friends, and I'm happy. Sometimes I look at pictures of Boston and try to stir up a feeling of nostalgia but it's just not there. It's weird. I spent my life there and I don't even miss it a little.
Good on you. I wish I could move to a different part of the country (Ohio) so can totally understand how good it must feel for you to have landed where you are.

I have seen Toronto but I could never live there. Too different for my taste. I like to visit though. It's not too bad a place. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM

27 posts, read 23,824 times
What area did you end up settling in Christina311?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto