Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

Hello. Arriving in Toronto as an online graduate student living off student income I'm wondering what kind of apartments are available to me. What do landlords look for ? I'd arrive with good savings and my US passport and that's pretty much it. No job lined up. I'm a middle aged woman of color but can easily pass for 20 something...not sure if that matters in Toronto but it has some weight here in the US. Also, I'm open to other areas besides Toronto. Thanks all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
So, have you received your Canadian work permit yet ? If not, why not ?

You do understand that you can't just show up and start living in Canada , right ?

The CBSA agent that you talk to at the port of entry... will want to know "how you are going to support yourself, while in Canada ? . If you show up with a car full of personal items, they will start asking serious questions.

As a US citizen you can VISIT Canada, but until you are approved by the Government of Canada, you cannot work here, in any capacity. That also means that you cannot attend school, use any of our social services, and you are not eligible for health care, unless you pay for it in cash or with a credit card.

Most rental landlords will want to see a local letter of employment, a Canadian bank account number , a valid social insurance number and a valid work permit, before they will rent to you. All of which is normal procedure here.

Unless I missed something here, you need to do a rethink about your plan.

Jim B.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 PM

My thread title is "American visitor". I'd rather not spend all my time and money in a hotel, hostel, or b&b hence my question. Being able to stay 90 days as a visitor I think my question makes sense. I think you are beating me up with your answer.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl_16 View Post
My thread title is "American visitor". I'd rather not spend all my time and money in a hotel, hostel, or b&b hence my question. Being able to stay 90 days as a visitor I think my question makes sense. I think you are beating me up with your answer.
Well in fairness you did say you had no job lined up.. Really if you aren't here on a work visa then you can't work so I don't think Canadian Citizen was beating you up other than to provide some perspective. If your intention is to visit that is fine but that's about it. You could always look at renting an apartment on Airbnb if you are just visiting as you say. The whole work thing would throw anyone off really.

Good luck and enjoy your 'visit'

Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM

854 posts, read 585,726 times
If you go on Kijiji and Craigslist they have short-term sublease options for stays like yours.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
If you go on Kijiji and Craigslist they have short-term sublease options for stays like yours.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto